Gunner training vs doctor in training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usbbr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard good things and bad things about these 2 prep programs.

If you can only choose one of them, which is the best way to get best result? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard good things and bad things about these 2 prep programs.

If you can only choose one of them, which is the best way to get best result? thanks

I don't think you can really compare the two programs in a sense that GT is for long term prep where as DIT is for a short term spurt toward the end of the studying right before the test. Ideally GT would be used like at least a year in advance to make full use of its program and then DIT ~3-4 months prior.

My plan is to do GT throughout then start in dec. USMLERx, in april UWorld and DIT toward the end. If i have time kaplan qbank...

I don't think you can really compare the two programs in a sense that GT is for long term prep where as DIT is for a short term spurt toward the end of the studying right before the test. Ideally GT would be used like at least a year in advance to make full use of its program and then DIT ~3-4 months prior.

My plan is to do GT throughout then start in dec. USMLERx, in april UWorld and DIT toward the end. If i have time kaplan qbank...

So your saying that if my exam is in June I should stick to my subscription of DIT vs using GT?

I like GT, didn't like DIT so didn't end up doing it. I'm not a fan of even more lecture on top of the ones I already sit through...

5 months is enough time to do GT if you can be disciplined about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I couldn't care less about how much time/discipline it will take me. I know I want to put in as many hours as possible. My concern is where to put those hours considering during classes I put them all in Gojan, Pathoma, physio. I just want to make sure if I use GT and take extra time out it is the best way to increase my score. Something about me is that recently I've started to try and retain 100% of whatever source I'm using. End up around 80% after some memory lapse. I used to be all about understanding concepts now I'm about memorizing every single detail in addition to the concepts.

The cost of this is that it takes a lot of time so therefore I want to make sure that I put all my energy in something slightly higher then the requirements of the test. Not too superfluous and definitely not too little.

Thanks again for all the help guys. SDN totally rocks.

Personally, I couldn't care less about how much time/discipline it will take me. I know I want to put in as many hours as possible. My concern is where to put those hours considering during classes I put them all in Gojan, Pathoma, physio. I just want to make sure if I use GT and take extra time out it is the best way to increase my score. Something about me is that recently I've started to try and retain 100% of whatever source I'm using. End up around 80% after some memory lapse. I used to be all about understanding concepts now I'm about memorizing every single detail in addition to the concepts.

The cost of this is that it takes a lot of time so therefore I want to make sure that I put all my energy in something slightly higher then the requirements of the test. Not too superfluous and definitely not too little.

Thanks again for all the help guys. SDN totally rocks.
GT in that case.

Ok in for GT. Question though should I be using it for everything or non system stuff like biochem, anatomy, micro etc.

Last edited:
While we're on the pathoma topic I have a question about page 127, acute tubular necrosis treatment. He says oligouria can persist for 2-3 weeks before recovery. Wouldn't it be that you can have polyuria for 2-3 weeks because if the tubular cells are not working then we have a sort of diuresis from lack of reabsorption.

While we're on the pathoma topic I have a question about page 127, acute tubular necrosis treatment. He says oligouria can persist for 2-3 weeks before recovery. Wouldn't it be that you can have polyuria for 2-3 weeks because if the tubular cells are not working then we have a sort of diuresis from lack of reabsorption.

Holy sidetrack batman!

So you are correct that damage to tubular cells will result in low reabsorption (this is why you have BUN:Cr <15, etc). But the tubular damage also causes vasoconstriction (angiotensin) that drastically decreases the GFR. Decreased GFR is why you have oliguria in spite of decreased reabsorption at the damaged regions.

Holy sidetrack batman!

So you are correct that damage to tubular cells will result in low reabsorption (this is why you have BUN:Cr <15, etc). But the tubular damage also causes vasoconstriction (angiotensin) that drastically decreases the GFR. Decreased GFR is why you have oliguria in spite of decreased reabsorption at the damaged regions.

So to clarify the tubular cells are considered "damaged" until they fully regenerate and therefore till then ATII keeps the GFR low?

Btw thanks that makes a lot of sense.