Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like GT so far it is the most interactive programs out there. I am impressed by the degree of work these guys has to put in to build a program like this for what I pay. Although I wish there are more features, such as highlight, or add notes to the side, not just on the top. And page number references to the first aid, so you can use two sources and make association, everyone use first aid anyway. Or they can go a step further, give question numbers you can do on Uworld. I think GT is a great idea, it is definitely going to rule the board preparation programs very very soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else having trouble with the new layout? flashcards aren't loading for me from the quiz-view and i can't expand the topics in individual flashcards :confused:

I like the new layout, It has a more book feel to me. I am glad GT is constantly improving itself. Though I do hope ipizzy's problem get fixed soon. Keep working hard GT!

anyone else having trouble with the new layout? flashcards aren't loading for me from the quiz-view and i can't expand the topics in individual flashcards :confused:

you're probably using chrome. FF/IE work well. the last big overhaul busted a lot of stuff in chrome too, but they fixed it within a couple days.

i am also a fan. the new pics are a huge improvement.

i was using firefox, but the GT staff just got in touch with me and said they're working on it. the new layout works really well in Safari :thumbup: i like

The color change hurts my eyes (I have really bad vision). Hopefully they change it back to the original colors.

The color change hurts my eyes (I have really bad vision). Hopefully they change it back to the original colors.

I agree with you, especially the Topic Index, the color is really weird...

Full screen color is weird too, maybe I am just not use to it, was that supposed to help?

Amazing GT got a lot new high quality pictures! they sent out an email saying they team up with Lippincott Williams & Wilkins :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a huge fan of all the stuff they added from lipincott. Really rounds out the program.

Hey guys,

Just got subscription to GT. What's the best way to start studying? Is it just flashcards? I want to study this over my vacation and before my last term of basic sciences before I start to do step 1 preparation (although I'm already preparing).

I don't understand though, is GT better after you go through FA 2011 or before?

According to Gunner a Nevus is classified as an epithelial tumor under neuroectoderm. Shouldn't the nevus be a neural crest derivative?

Who wants a FREE month of Gunner Training? Courtesy of their Twitter feed. Enjoy, and pass it on quick, as it expires tonight!

https://twitter.com/#!/gunnertraining
Use code "GTTweets" between now and 11:59PM ET tonight to add a free month to your account (works for people on a free trial as well)!

No.

Also, the restudying of cards needs to be improved. It seems like it randomly cycles through whatever cards you have to study, which makes prioritizing a subject for review difficult (i.e. if you had 100 topics to redo but you wanted to do the cardio ones first). Furthermore, when restudying, clicking "next card" will often take you to cards that you've already added to your quiz.

Last edited:
I am currently in my second year. I have to take the boards by end of June. Would it be useless for me to use GT this late in the game?

Nope, I started in September and will hopefully take my boards in June. I have however been focusing on my weak areas a lot though and I know I will probably not bank all of it. Just try to bank those heavy memorization units like microbiology and biochemistry.

I am currently in my second year. I have to take the boards by end of June. Would it be useless for me to use GT this late in the game?
Not at all. When I add something new, it takes a week or two before of seeing the question frequently (once/1-3 days), and then it quickly moves to longer periods of time, like a few weeks to months before I see the question again. Most of the time when I see the question again I remember it, or strongly recognize it when I see the answer. When the latter occurs, it takes less time than previously for it to go back to long term memory.

how do you guys have time to do GT? I am on a free trial and can't keep up at all in addition to my class readings and I'm a second year..any suggestions? i'd appreciate any advice!

Last edited:
I gave up. I'm hoping to catch up during Christmas break, or at the worst next summer. And during M2 I'm just going to make usmle review a higher priority than my classes, unlike now. GT turned out to be an even bigger time commitment than I thought when I first tried it out, and you can't take on big time commitments without sacrificing something else :shrug:

how do you guys have time to do GT? I am on a free trial and can't keep up at all in addition to my class readings and I'm a second year..any suggestions? i'd appreciate any advice!

I just wake up an hour earlier than I would need to for class (I don't always go to class, but it doesn't start until 9 so it's not really that early) and finish whatever I can in an hour. Sometimes I get behind, like when we have exams (or when I get lazy). Then I just try to eventually get caught up.

I find I study more effective with GT, which helps. Whenever I get bored studying whatever it is I am working on, I take a 10-30 min break to do GT questions. It helps break up the monotony and keep me from falling asleep.

I think that the closer your mastery % is to banked card %, the fewer questions you have in a given day. So it may be beneficial to work on mastering banked cards before adding new material.

No.

Also, the restudying of cards needs to be improved. It seems like it randomly cycles through whatever cards you have to study, which makes prioritizing a subject for review difficult (i.e. if you had 100 topics to redo but you wanted to do the cardio ones first). Furthermore, when restudying, clicking "next card" will often take you to cards that you've already added to your quiz.

You can click "complete all review questions" for: and pick your subject. It helps a lot when I'm trying to figure out how many cards I banked and which ones I said I knew well but *have* to know by the end of the quarter.

I don't think I'll be using it in my dedicated one month study period as that's really just hammering in as many Qbank questions as possible.

I generally put a "3" for all the questions and so far I'm getting nearly 200-250+ questions to review a day. It's starting to take too much time but I normally do a very passive/rapid run through them so that slowly over time I pickup more and more.

They've made a change for the worse as far as progressing through questions goes.

Now you specifically hit show answer; just tapping the question no longer suffices.

I wonder why they opted for this, as it particularly slows things down on a tablet/smartphone (on which I do the entirety of my work).

Last edited:
You can click "complete all review questions" for: and pick your subject. It helps a lot when I'm trying to figure out how many cards I banked and which ones I said I knew well but *have* to know by the end of the quarter.

But I wish you could do it a little more specifically. I don't want to study all Micro, I want to study viruses (and so on.) Same goes for making an exam. I don't want questions on the entire CV system, I want the pathology questions.

Hi gunners,

Got a question for you guys. GT says that ASDs can cause fixed splitting of the second heart sound. Can someone tell me why would ASD cause this fixed spitting of S2? Is it a opening sound or is it a closing sound of some sort? Where does this fixed splitting S2 sound come from?

Thanks!

A split S2 represents asynchrony in the closure of the semilunar valves (pulmonic and aortic). A split S2 can be heard during inspiration, due to the increased venous return to the right side of the heart and an increased ejection time. Simply put, the right side of the heart has more blood than normal to pump out, so it takes a little longer...thus the delayed closure of the pulmonic valve. This is considered a normal finding, and termed a physiologic split of S2.

Now to answer your question specifically...a fixed splitting of S2 (i.e. it occurs during both inspiration and expiration) is a pathologic finding. In the case of an ASD, the defect results in a left to right shunt, thus increasing the volume of blood that the right ventricle will try to pump out. Therefore we see a consistently delayed closure of the pulmonic valve relative to the aortic valve.

Hope that clears things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtondc

Quote:

But I wish you could do it a little more specifically. I don't want to study all Micro, I want to study viruses (and so on.) Same goes for making an exam. I don't want questions on the entire CV system, I want the pathology questions.

i'm in the same boat, i'm resorting to resetting micro so I can just do virology, mycology etc for an upcoming exam. Once i'm done with the test, i guess at some point, i'll redo the old flashcards... it sucks, but i don't see a way around it, until they fix this issue. I've also email them about it couple weeks back.

Perhaps if more people email and specifically request this feature, they'll move a little faster to fix it.

Last edited:
They've made a change for the worse as far as progressing through questions goes.

Now you specifically hit show answer; just tapping the question no longer suffices.

I wonder why they opted for this, as it particularly slows things down on a tablet/smartphone (on which I do the entirety of my work).

Seriously GT people, use your brain!!!
Agree with the above and on top of that it's not working on IE and now I have to use Firefox.
I wished they wouldnt display their incompetence with every change.
GT is such a good tool if they wouldn't f##k with it every other week!
sorry for the rant, but seriously, test it out first!

Seems like they fixed it. GT is good about user feedback.

Edit:
Never mind, after ten questions or so it reverts to requiring you to press show answer. Needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Well if you're on laptop/desktop, you can just press the right arrow key and the answer side shows.

thanks for the hint!
unfortunately this is not working in IE though, so everytime I want to do GT I need to use firefox. pain in the backside!

Does anyone just blindly add cards to the bank. I find its taking to much time to initially go through every card.

Yes, me too. I get some advertisement for a massage school. I sent a feedback message to them, but can't get the site to do anything else. Any idea of how to contact them?