Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have only tried trial account so far, but I have to concur. It's many times slower compared to before the website crash. Have to wait 10-12 seconds for each new flashcard to load. And this is on a pretty decent internet connection.

EDIT: and pictures are taking 15-20 seconds to load. Hope they fix the speed issue.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody with a real account should lodge a complaint on their facebook page or via email. They probably won't take a trial account user very seriously. And they prob don't read SDN.

I emailed their tech support guy (Nicholas) a few days ago and let him know the issues a lot of us have been reporting here on SDN. He said that they are working on it full time, so hopefully the page loads will be improved soon!

:bang:= me

i think i must have been given the slowness that was once distributed amongst us all evenly because i can literally sit here for 10 minutes and wait for anything on GT to load. to make matters worse, quizzes will only load ~10 questions at a time; after 10 questions, clicking to go to the next question brings a blank screen and i have to end the quiz & restart. which takes eons. EONS.

</vent>

i think i must have been given the slowness that was once distributed amongst us all evenly because i can literally sit here for 10 minutes and wait for anything on GT to load. to make matters worse, quizzes will only load ~10 questions at a time; after 10 questions, clicking to go to the next question brings a blank screen and i have to end the quiz & restart. which takes eons. EONS.

</vent>

Oh okay, I really though it was my cheap internet doing that. I hope they fix that soon because its annoying when you have 200 review questions.

</vent>

you are not alone man!

From GT's twitter feed:

Gunner Training
@JohnCalvin666 We are indeed getting thrashed a bit. W'ere upgrading our setup with heroku.com. You will see improvement soon!
6 hours ago

Gunner Training
@ruwanr thanks for asking! We are also hiring big time so we can get the good stuff to you guys faster. iPhone native app is a future step.
26 Nov

Gunner Training
@ruwanr We have a mobile-optimized version of the website 2/3rd done but have it on hold because we want to speed up our servers more. Soon!

How soon is "soon" :rolleyes:

from my perspective, it's getting better. last week was pretty slow, and i was getting kicked out of review quizzes after 20-40 questions, but it's gotten better over the weekend. slowest is still the loading on the pics.

and GT does read SDN, i'm pretty sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a positive note, has everyone notices all the amazing images from Lippincott and other web sources? There's pictures linked to all the review questions too. Some of them are actually pretty decent (saw a great overview for direct coombs test and some good histo slides).

The anatomy section is also pretty decent.

Hopefully we'll see the trend continue and maybe eventually audio and video tools.

Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

On a positive note, has everyone notices all the amazing images from Lippincott and other web sources? There's pictures linked to all the review questions too. Some of them are actually pretty decent (saw a great overview for direct coombs test and some good histo slides).

The anatomy section is also pretty decent.

Hopefully we'll see the trend continue and maybe eventually audio and video tools.

Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

sure, love all of the above, if it wouldnt take 10-20 seconds to load an image...

Has anyone heard of people doing well (230+) on the step after using gunner+UW+pathoma etc...???

On the 2011 USMLE step 1 experience thread Encephalectomy reported getting a 270http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=324698. I would look up what was written by him. The date of the post is 6/11/11. That post is one of the reasons I seriously looked into gunnertraining. I copied and pasted part of what he wrote about his study plan regarding GT. I am a first year, and have already been seeing the benefit of GT in my classes and studying.

"Gunnertraining: Awesome, awesome, awesome. This was a huge part of my success on this exam. It hammers an incredible amount of stuff into your brain and made me a rockstar all year in classes and small groups and payed off big time for board studying. First aid is great, but I would not really have been able to memorize it, but gunnertraining has most of first aid plus a lot of the best tidbits of goljan and other good stuff. If you are finishing up first year and have a goal of a very hight step1 score I would start it now, bank all of the first year stuff over the summer, bank the rest along with classes, but double up at the end of the year so that you have gt fully banked by at least 1 month before your dedicated study period-that way you will be able to keep doing your gt questions, but it will be down to a more manageable 100 or so qs a day."

On the 2011 USMLE step 1 experience thread Encephalectomy reported getting a 270http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=324698. I would look up what was written by him. The date of the post is 6/11/11. That post is one of the reasons I seriously looked into gunnertraining. I copied and pasted part of what he wrote about his study plan regarding GT. I am a first year, and have already been seeing the benefit of GT in my classes and studying.

"Gunnertraining: Awesome, awesome, awesome. This was a huge part of my success on this exam. It hammers an incredible amount of stuff into your brain and made me a rockstar all year in classes and small groups and payed off big time for board studying. First aid is great, but I would not really have been able to memorize it, but gunnertraining has most of first aid plus a lot of the best tidbits of goljan and other good stuff. If you are finishing up first year and have a goal of a very hight step1 score I would start it now, bank all of the first year stuff over the summer, bank the rest along with classes, but double up at the end of the year so that you have gt fully banked by at least 1 month before your dedicated study period-that way you will be able to keep doing your gt questions, but it will be down to a more manageable 100 or so qs a day."
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11108903&postcount=1370

Thanks for mentioning that, I was starting to feel a little too sorry for myself due to my current avalanche of qs.

On the 2011 USMLE step 1 experience thread Encephalectomy reported getting a 270. I would look up what was written by him. The date of the post is 6/11/11. That post is one of the reasons I seriously looked into gunnertraining. I copied and pasted part of what he wrote about his study plan regarding GT. I am a first year, and have already been seeing the benefit of GT in my classes and studying.

This is probably a dumb question but what do you guys mean by "banking" the GT stuff?

common wisdom on here: you shouldn't learn stuff first time round from GT.
Most of the time I would completely agree, but just covered nephritic, nephrotic and it was excellent!
More detail than FA (dohhh) and more detail than Goljan RR!

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question but what do you guys mean by "banking" the GT stuff?

Each card has some questions associated with it. When you add those questions to your review schedule, you have banked that card and will see those questions regularly in the daily reviews.

servers are still junk. How hard is it to buy more servers or hire someone to speed them up? This has been going on for too long now. Disappointing to say the least...

Is it better to use the lite mode or the comprehensive mode for use during breaks, like summer break?

i don't think lite mode is useful. if you stop banking cards, the questions per day will decrease over breaks

on a separate note, does anyone load their review questions and then have a totally BLANK one that ends the whole session because it is totally BLANK and the only option is to "end review session"

i thought i wasn't waiting long enough for the servers to load...i thought it was the number of cards...i basically thought it was me.

i don't think so.

i was hoping to do a fully review of all my banked questions. sigh. so. so. frustrating.

i am still waiting to hear back from GT. i kept hoping all last week it was just a glitch in *my* questions. now i'm not so sure. i am wondering - am i the only person this is happening to?

i don't think lite mode is useful. if you stop banking cards, the questions per day will decrease over breaks

on a separate note, does anyone load their review questions and then have a totally BLANK one that ends the whole session because it is totally BLANK and the only option is to "end review session"

i thought i wasn't waiting long enough for the servers to load...i thought it was the number of cards...i basically thought it was me.

i don't think so.

i was hoping to do a fully review of all my banked questions. sigh. so. so. frustrating.

i am still waiting to hear back from GT. i kept hoping all last week it was just a glitch in *my* questions. now i'm not so sure. i am wondering - am i the only person this is happening to?

Yes same thing happens to me. I don't understand why they cannot have decent servers for a WEB BASED PRODUCT?:mad:

I know GT reads these forums so hopefully they will fix their product

Just click end review when you get to a blank page and then finish the rest of the questions.

Yes same thing happens to me. I don't understand why they cannot have decent servers for a WEB BASED PRODUCT?:mad:

I know GT reads these forums so hopefully they will fix their product

Just click end review when you get to a blank page and then finish the rest of the questions.

same here.
happens to me every day. sometimes after 20 questions sometimes after 50.

on a different note guys, how many review questions do you guys do on average/day?
I average 160q/day.

150-200 Q's a day? What is that, like 2 hours a day...

How do you do 2nd year coursework with 200 Q's a day?

Are you also planning on using Uworld, Goljan, etc. + coursework + GT?

Btw, server was really slow today for me also.

This needs to be fixed, just bought a long subscription and I plan on recommending this to others.

i've been averaging 250-350 questions/day. i can typically get through 100 questions in 30 mins, so if i wake up early i can get through most of them before my day even 'starts'. 79% banked, 50.2% mastered

you definitely get faster at going through questions, I just try not to get hung up on individual questions and it's easier to integrate GT into the gunning routine :)

Last edited:
I'm not banking them because I want the cards to repeat all first year stuff as much as possible before my dedicated step 1 studying in the spring.

It takes maybe a solid hour or so, depending on how familiar I am with the topics.

I do a first pass each of pathoma/goljan/robbins for class and then I go on GT to bank the cards which ends up being two or so weeks after we start the new block/system.

:bang:

trying to get through 350 questions this morning but quiz keeps freezing after 10 questions

sigh.

If I'm understanding correctly, 100% banked is 3 hours of questions everyday.

Seems like that would be too much with Uworld goljan FA.

If I'm understanding correctly, 100% banked is 3 hours of questions everyday.

Seems like that would be too much with Uworld goljan FA.

not quite, depending on how well you answer the questions and rate them, the intervals become bigger and you see the questions less often --> 1hr or less.

^ agree with above; I think encephalectomy (in the scores & experiences thread) wrote that after banking all the cards you'll eventually get down to ~100 questions/day. (after you rate a question at consistently high recall levels of 4 or 5 multiple times in a row, GT will only ask you that question every 60-90 days or so)

I'd just like to point out that we're all (myself definitely included) rather lame for getting so excited about more work to do.