Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having trouble with GT on Chrome? I get that window saying that my javascript is off (it's on) and then it says chrome won't be able to use google.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope it works fine with my Chrome.

Has anyone noticed that Gunnertraining tends to go in more detail than RR Pathology alot of the times. I usually have my RR open because I find the wording easier, however there has been so much details on certain cards especially in Cardio unit that I just can't find in RR.

Has anyone noticed that Gunnertraining tends to go in more detail than RR Pathology alot of the times. I usually have my RR open because I find the wording easier, however there has been so much details on certain cards especially in Cardio unit that I just can't find in RR.

Not sure if you're saying this is a good thing or a bad thing. I've found that it generally provides a really good summary of all the major sources (FA, Robbins, RR) so I tend to like the detail :thumbup:

Not sure if you're saying this is a good thing or a bad thing. I've found that it generally provides a really good summary of all the major sources (FA, Robbins, RR) so I tend to like the detail :thumbup:

Definitely a good thing and one of the main reasons I stick with Gunner. :thumbup:

yeah, I mentioned this earlier on here, in regards to nephritic and nephrotic.
I was surprised, but I like it :thumbup:

I think so too. I've quit using Rapid Review since and just listen to Goljan on my phone at the gym. He's much more entertaining to listen to than read.

In addition, now that they've added so many pictures, it's starting to rival first aid. The explanations are way more in depth and I feel they're categorized better. However, FA still has some really great summary tables and diagrams that I can't live w/out and certain FA sections (neuro) are still stronger.

Anyone have tips for getting through this faster? I've been using it for 2 months to annotate FA but I'm still only 20% banked (and 3% mastery). I spend 0-5 hours a day on it (avg 1-2). I find myself forgetting things from GT really quickly because I don't have a lot of context to put it in so I'm epic failing at the quizzes when I have time to do them.

My school is terrible at teaching board material--think learning almost everything on your own...I'm doing regular coursework + Goljan + GT and I'm getting more Kaplan Qbank questions right because of what I remember through GT so I must be doing something right. UGH wish I started this earlier!

Last edited:
Are you just memorizing facts or are you thinking about the how/why when reviewing material?

Both. Some of them are just facts--those are the ones I'll get wrong on the quizzes. Non-facts I'll look it up to study via Wikipedia, Robbins, Costanzo, whatever I have. Or maybe I'm grading myself too hard by giving myself a 2 if I can only name 8 of the 10 things GT wants me to answer.

Both. Some of them are just facts--those are the ones I'll get wrong on the quizzes. Non-facts I'll look it up to study via Wikipedia, Robbins, Costanzo, whatever I have. Or maybe I'm grading myself too hard by giving myself a 2 if I can only name 8 of the 10 things GT wants me to answer.

yes, start giving yourself a 4 for those situations haha :p

also if you want to bank faster, you could try to set a goal for the number of cards you want to bank in a day, and do your best to stick to it. e.g. if you want to bank all 1000ish cards in 3 months, that would be 10ish cards/day.

yes, start giving yourself a 4 for those situations haha :p

also if you want to bank faster, you could try to set a goal for the number of cards you want to bank in a day, and do your best to stick to it. e.g. if you want to bank all 1000ish cards in 3 months, that would be 10ish cards/day.

Good tips lol--that was an example. Most of the time, it's when I see it that I remember it hence grading myself a 2. But...technically on Step 1, we just need to see it to remember it, right? :p

I'm going to try for 50/week, up it over winter break and skip Micro to use CMMRS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good tips lol--that was an example. Most of the time, it's when I see it that I remember it hence grading myself a 2. But...technically on Step 1, we just need to see it to remember it, right? :p

I'm going to try for 50/week, up it over winter break and skip Micro to use CMMRS.

Don't skip the micro, I read through CMMRS along with Gunnertraing. Together they are a winning combination, simply for the fact that CMMRS tends to over simplify some units and leave out a lot of details, which I have seen on USMLERx questions.

Don't skip the micro, I read through CMMRS along with Gunnertraing. Together they are a winning combination, simply for the fact that CMMRS tends to over simplify some units and leave out a lot of details, which I have seen on USMLERx questions.

Thanks! Micro and pharm are going to kill me in the end...too much memorization. Def. picking up on the pharm through GT as I go along though.

Anyone have tips for getting through this faster? I've been using it for 2 months to annotate FA but I'm still only 20% banked (and 3% mastery). I spend 0-5 hours a day on it (avg 1-2). I find myself forgetting things from GT really quickly because I don't have a lot of context to put it in so I'm epic failing at the quizzes when I have time to do them.

My school is terrible at teaching board material--think learning almost everything on your own...I'm doing regular coursework + Goljan + GT and I'm getting more Kaplan Qbank questions right because of what I remember through GT so I must be doing something right. UGH wish I started this earlier!
10%/mo is an excellent rate. However, if you move that fast without mastering, you may have questions really start building up. Be more liberal about giving yourself 4's.

very true. Everyone on SDN raves about CMMRS, but it leaves out a LOT of important details that come up all the time in FA, GT, and test banks...CMMRS kind of disappointed me. The pictures make what it teaches really memorable, but it doesn't teach nearly enough...

Last edited:
very true. Everyone on SDN raves about CMMRS, but it leaves out a LOT of important details that come up all the time in FA, GT, and test banks...CMMRS kind of disappointed me. The pictures makes what it teaches really memorable, but it doesn't teach nearly enough...
Lol. I'm thinking about the antipseudomonal antibiotics picture with James bond. Dumbest thing ever, but it sticks.

When I pick just one subject to do a practice exam in GT, the questions are from all over the place. For instance, if I choose just biochem, it gives me a test that includes everything (cardio, pulm, GI etc.) Anybody else have this problem?

When I pick just one subject to do a practice exam in GT, the questions are from all over the place. For instance, if I choose just biochem, it gives me a test that includes everything (cardio, pulm, GI etc.) Anybody else have this problem?

Well, Biochem certainly encompasses multiple body systems. Unless the questions have no real Biochemical relevance, then perhaps they're just integrating. Which is what you need for step I.

Also as someone said above, no issues with Chrome, but it lags something god awful on IE

The questions have no biochem relevance. Its asking me about QT intervals and restrictive vs obstructive pulm questions.

is there an iPhone or Android app for gunner training? im about to get a new phone and if there is a gunnertraining app for a specific platform i may go for that OS...

I don't see why an app is necessary; since this is HTML using a smartphone's browser is more than sufficient. They just need to fix the tapping feature. Hitting "show answer" is mondo annoying.

I don't see why an app is necessary; since this is HTML using a smartphone's browser is more than sufficient. They just need to fix the tapping feature. Hitting "show answer" is mondo annoying.
The tapping has been working on mine now (using chrome). It started working for me right after they renewed their domain name.

nope, u better contact them.

This is weird - it won't let me access my daily assigned cards, but if I go in by subject it lets me.

When I try to access my assigned deck it says "Gunner Fail"

Not kidding. It's cute, but starting to tick me off. I'll guess it must be something on my end if nobody else is experiencing it. I'll shoot them an email.

Thanks for the reply.

I just emailed them, hopefully it gets fixed since my cards are piling up. First time I've every had this issue.

Not trying to bash - they are responsive as hell. They've integrated my suggested card edits - sometimes even within a couple of hours.

I should say also that there was a small discrepancy in one of the nephro cards and one of the employees sent me an excellent review article that hashed out the details (awesome) So, again I'm not hating, just frustrated. I just eclipsed the 50% mastery mark and now it is falling back down since this hiccup, lol.

Thanks for the replies.

my neuro cards are busted too

doing the review by subject is still OK. only have like 5 neuro q's a day so its not killing me.

I just emailed them, hopefully it gets fixed since my cards are piling up. First time I've every had this issue.

Not trying to bash - they are responsive as hell. They've integrated my suggested card edits - sometimes even within a couple of hours.

I should say also that there was a small discrepancy in one of the nephro cards and one of the employees sent me an excellent review article that hashed out the details (awesome) So, again I'm not hating, just frustrated. I just eclipsed the 50% mastery mark and now it is falling back down since this hiccup, lol.

Thanks for the replies.

congrats on that mastery man!
I had this issue u described a few weeks back, when they had the problem with their domain.
After contacting them, they were able to fix it for me very quickly.
So I hope same goes for you.
But as others have mentioned, try to do subject reviews in the meantime, see if at least that works for you.
I know how it feels to have the cards piling up.

can someone just give me a quick run down on how they personally use gunner training?

do you go through flashcards..bank them and then take the quizzes?

how does the mastery level work? does that depend on how you rate the cards (at 4 or 5?)

is the mastery level dependent on the quizzes or is there another quiz/exam that is taken?

sorry for all these noob questions..

can someone just give me a quick run down on how they personally use gunner training?

do you go through flashcards..bank them and then take the quizzes?

how does the mastery level work? does that depend on how you rate the cards (at 4 or 5?)

is the mastery level dependent on the quizzes or is there another quiz/exam that is taken?

sorry for all these noob questions..
Throughout the year I've been banking MS1 stuff, but usually at the beginning of a block I'll watch Pathoma and bank relevant material. Also, though it's a god awful pain in the ass, in the long run it's very helpful to both keep up with your daily questions AND review the 1s and 2s (or 3s if you review those too) until you master them. Overall, that keeps your daily load lower and you are getting more review done.

Mastery is solely dependent on whether you rate the question 4 or 5; you can do this either in the daily quiz or (as previously stated) in the restudy mode after the quiz.

How long has GT been around? Do they have enough users to stay afloat for awhile? At least until I'm an MS2 next year?

about 1.5 - 2 years now? About to jump on the GT bandwagon now..

Currently on their 2-week free trial, and loving it so far. Just finished 1st sem of 1st yr. I love how you could bank questions. With their new anatomy section, wish I started using it since the start of med school.

Does anyone know if I can initiate the 1-month promo near the end of my 2 week trial? or is that not allowed? If so, can I have a code please ^_^

Thanks in advance!

I know how it feels to have the cards piling up.

Sorry for not investigating this further in the last 10 pages of this thread, but what do you mean by the "Cards piling up" being a problem? Is it cuz the questions and concepts pile up a lot too? and do the reviews and recall become cumbersome due to so much material?

Sorry for not investigating this further in the last 10 pages of this thread, but what do you mean by the "Cards piling up" being a problem? Is it cuz the questions and concepts pile up a lot too? and do the reviews and recall become cumbersome due to so much material?

I thing you misunderstood.
You get a certain number of review cards every (review questions) per day depending how much you have banked.
And if you are not able to dedicate time to do those review questions daily, or there is a problem with the server for 1-2 days, the questions all add up (pile up) and now instead of the 150 questions you have to do 450 questions, if you miss 3 days.

In general I find GT is working rather well, but what I did find cumbersome were topics like nephritic and nephrotic and the Vasculitides. There is so much memory interference going on due to similarities in the topics that I would advise anyone to make tables first or with GT.

about 1.5 - 2 years now? About to jump on the GT bandwagon now..

Currently on their 2-week free trial, and loving it so far. Just finished 1st sem of 1st yr. I love how you could bank questions. With their new anatomy section, wish I started using it since the start of med school.

Does anyone know if I can initiate the 1-month promo near the end of my 2 week trial? or is that not allowed? If so, can I have a code please ^_^

Thanks in advance!
Check your PM. I think it should work.

So, I've been trying to annotate Gunner training into First Aid, but it's time consuming.

What do you guys think? Is it useful? Should I just do Rapid Review? (or Uworld when I start it in March?) Right now I'm assuming that everything in Rapid Review is in Gunner so I won't be annotating from that. Is this a mistake?

If you speaking about Rapid Review Pathology, its dependent upon the topic. There have been several topics where I gunner actually had more information.

If you speaking about Rapid Review Pathology, its dependent upon the topic. There have been several topics where I gunner actually had more information.

Sorry; Yes, I meant Rapid Review Path. So you think annotating First Aid with Gunner is excessive?

So, I've been trying to annotate Gunner training into First Aid, but it's time consuming.

What do you guys think? Is it useful? Should I just do Rapid Review? (or Uworld when I start it in March?) Right now I'm assuming that everything in Rapid Review is in Gunner so I won't be annotating from that. Is this a mistake?
GT is culled from RR path and FA, so you might be wasting your time. Do whatever works though.

GT is culled from RR path and FA, so you might be wasting your time. Do whatever works though.
Agreed. I've been trying to juggle FA, GT, Pathoma, and RR with school and needless to say there aren't enough hrs/day. I only do RR audio on gym days and driving now and where I started out massively annotating FA after each unit was covered in class, I'm starting to just focus on GT. When I'm adding cards to GT, I always look at FA at the same time to see if I'm missing anything and to be honest, GT elaborates a little more on pretty much every topic. FA still has some good pictures, but GT is adding more diagrams, histo slides, and path pictures every day.

I'm enjoying the pathoma preview, class lecture, bank GT material, RR audio combo very much right now and feel it's very manageable. I have an external monitor at home and to have pathoma going on one side with the appropriate GT slide on the other is fantastic. They really complement each other well.

I hope this question doesn't seem too out of place, but since you all have probably spent hours upon hours on your computers for med school work, can any of you comment on any minimum specs that you might recommend (speed, screen size, desktop/laptop/netbook/iPad) based on your personal experiences?

I hope this question doesn't seem too out of place, but since you all have probably spent hours upon hours on your computers for med school work, can any of you comment on any minimum specs that you might recommend (speed, screen size, desktop/laptop/netbook/iPad) based on your personal experiences?

80% of my work for medschool happens on my laptop.
had a 15 inch laptop the first 2 years, but it was not handy at all so when it broke I bought a 13 inch laptop (1.8kg). The only thing that I wouldnt mind sometimes is having an ebook reader or an iPad, for reading some of my PDFs in bed, maybe I'll go for the iPad 3.