Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss seeing the entire flashcard. I miss the little font. I like that GT is growing and changing, but the little font and the entire flashcard view made GT better than Anki...

Last edited:
Gunner training people. If you're reading this thread, know that I (and probably many others) HATE the new format. Reasons why.

1. Time: With the keyboard shortcuts before, I could fly through cards that I knew well. See card, shift+down, hit number, enter. Time taken (~2s), obviously more if I want to go over the info again. Now its see card, hit shift+down, wait for card flipping animation, manually click the number, manually click next card. Time taken (~10s). This really adds up.

2. Info on the card. When I go over at an answer, I'm not just looking at the info that's highlighted much of the time, I'm going over a fair amount of the card. While this may be "cheating" the interval learning algorithm, it is immensely helpful. This current method only promotes learning individual factoids, not about the entire card as a whole. This makes GT much less helpful for me (and the people who commented before me). Now I see the information fewer times, and thus will retain it less well. The current answers are also inadequate. e.g. A questions about B-blockers asks about effects on HR, SV, TPR, renin levels, etc. The answer just says it reduces afterload. A question asks about the CYP450 inducers. The answer just gives the mnemonic, and doesn't even name the drugs. This is unacceptable. The fact is that the highlighted "answer" on the old cards often wasn't a great explanation, or was oftentimes only a part of the answer, but in the context of the other information of the card it was very good. Lose the context, and to put it simply, the answers suck.

3. I also miss the ability to manually adjust when i'll see that question again.

The redeeming quality of the new interface is its increased usability on small phones, but that is more then offset by the removal of content from answers and the reduced usability on a computer (where I still do the vast majority of my questions).

Please, Please, Please allow an option to use the old format. Gunnertraining just went from "Amazing resource that I tell all my friends about (and have convinced several to start)" to "I'll use it because I've already paid and committed to the system, but may not recommend to others"

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please, Please, Please allow an option to use the old format. Gunnertraining just went from "Amazing resource that I tell all my friends about (and have convinced several to start)" to "I'll use it because I've already paid and committed to the system, but may not recommend to others"

agree with this!

Hahaha, it keeps getting better.

Question: What is the rate limiting step of glycolysis

Answer: This step is irreversible and rate limiting

Questions: Can you name 1 virus family which is enveloped with helical capsid symmetry and contains (+) sense ssRNA?

Answer: Enveloped, helical capsid, (+) sense ssRNA:

Question: What has better prognosis, medullary or ductal carcinoma of the breast

Answer: Invasive carcinomas with better prognosis

This and the other examples in my post all on my first set of 50.

I understand these are bugs that will probably get ironed out if they keep the new interface, but please allow an option to use the old one.

Last edited:
After using the new interface for ~150 questions,

1. The keyboard shortcuts not working was specific to chrome. In IE, the shortcuts do work, but the interface is still very laggy and unresponsive compared to the old GT. Everything works pretty well in firefox, which I'll be using from now on for GT. Annoying, as I prefer chrome as a browser, but not that big a deal in the long run. The interface is indeed a lot better for mobile phones, which is a welcome upgrade.

2. The answers problem is still unacceptable. Please put the entire (or most) of the card back on the answer. i know you can open the card and view it, but that greatly slows down the process compared to having everything available in the answer card. That and many of the answers still just don't make sense.

I too really miss being able to easily read through a card immediately instead of clicking on the link.

Can we no longer customize our review schedule???

Not sure I like these changes...

I too really miss being able to easily read through a card immediately instead of clicking on the link.

Can we no longer customize our review schedule???

Not sure I like these changes...

Uhhh.....I really hope they either

1. Let us go back to the old format, which had rave reviews and a record of success

or 2. Give me a refund

Just got a reply saying that they "agree" with all of the unhappy response and will restoring many of the original features shortly, not to worry that this is just day one of a launch and that many bugs will be ironed out shortly.

Not sure what features they were referring too, but I imagine they are getting swamped with unhappy feedback right now and are hustling to make things right.

edit: just got another email with this little gem:

We're working on reworking the new interface today and will continue to do so going forward until we are confident that we're meeting everyone's needs. The new quiz interface is particularly unhelpful, it's about to be changed, this afternoon.

While the GT team may have whiffed on some of these interface changes, as usual they are being very responsive. Fingers crossed that they really bring the old quiz format back...or at least showing the entire card on answers.

Last edited:
they better fix it soon, not being able to see the right answer (let alone the whole card) is getting really frustrating.. rather than "fix" the new format they should just bring the old one back. nothing wrong with it before...

I like the new format. If I know it, it let's me move quicker. If I don't is allows me to go deeper with 1 or 2 clicks.

The presentation is also better and easier to read quickly.

I guess not everyone agrees. But I wonder if these comments are a highly vocal minority. Or if I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
having to click the tiny little category links to see the entire flashcard is crazy annoying...

edit: they claim to have changed back to showing the whole flashcard answer on the FB page, but I don't have time to check now

Last edited:
Hahaha, this is great. I was afraid I was just crazy in hating the changes.

This is hands down the worst website redesign in the past fifteen years, and that includes all the ones that took place on april 1st. Red on grey? Have you lost your god damn mind?

Whoever did the redesign clearly did it on a mac, it looks like crap and just isn't readable on a PC but the font on my itouch is at least legible. I haven't seen the flip animation, but then again my firefox is loaded down with noscript and flashblocking apps. I can get the keyboard shortcuts to work but they end up highlighting everything on the page, wtf. It's like nobody tested this. How hard would it be to let people test it beforehand and get some feedback, or at least have a revert button.

Zero communication, massive revamp, took away critical features, tons of bugs without giving any choice to the consumer in the matter. It's like steve jobs retired from apple so he could remake gunner training.

I'm probably overreacting but I take my test in 3 weeks so I'm not thinking very clearly.

Last edited:
I like the new format. If I know it, it let's me move quicker. If I don't is allows me to go deeper with 1 or 2 clicks.

The presentation is also better and easier to read quickly.

I guess not everyone agrees. But I wonder if these comments are a highly vocal minority. Or if I am.

at the very least, they should allow us the option to choose between the two formats.

Has anyone figured out how to redeem the three months deal onto the existing account. It doesnt seem to work for me.

Has anyone figured out how to redeem the three months deal onto the existing account. It doesnt seem to work for me.

Never mind, support emailed me back in less then a minute which is really great. Now if only their support team could work for my internet provider then life would be nice.

Love GT but not digging the new format. I really use that custom length of review part at the end of each question a lot. Missing the old color scheme too.

+1. They made it more "flash-card" like and I'm not digging that either.

does anyone know if GT is going to release an iphone/android app? that would be really helpful.. kind of jealous of my friends using ankidroid.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one frustrated with the new format. When I first posted about it last night I thought maybe my computer had some funky glitch (cuz they switched over when I was in the middle of doing questions, so I had like half old and half new) or that everyone else liked the new changes. Clearly the latter was absolutely NOT the case. I am glad they seem to have rectified part of the problem by making the entire card visible now, instead of just the answer (which as many have pointed out often wasn't actually the answer (my favorite was "Q: what is the mechanism of valproic acid? What are the side effects? A: Valproic acid)).

They still absolutely need to fix the new font color, which is terrible. As well as bring back the custom review function. I loved that function because when I was doing my daily review, if I came upon a question relevant to what we are doing in class, I would set the review schedule to make sure I would see those specific topics at least once more before exam time. Lastly, some of the formatting seems a little off, like the bar graph where it shows your percent mastered, text overlap each other. Oh, and why the hell did they get rid of the number for percent mastered? I like to see if my level of mastery increased .1-.2% following review. It helped keep me motivated to see that incremental progress. Now I just see the stupid bar, which doesn't tell me much day-to-day.

does anyone know if GT is going to release an iphone/android app? that would be really helpful.. kind of jealous of my friends using ankidroid.

Yeah, I'd love a specific app. In fact, they should've spent the time they used redoing the site to make an app. Everyone would've been happy that way.

Whatever though, I'm happy to see they are very aware of how irritating the new format it and seem to be making an effort to make it right. Last night I was really considering asking for a refund, if things didn't improve.

Like someone else said, this program went from one I highly recommended to all my friends to one I felt I was stuck with because I had already paid for my 12 month subscription. Let's hope they can improve it back to the level where I can recommend it to people again. Right now, I wouldn't even give some one a free month, because it wouldn't do this program and its potential justice for them to see it now.

My thoughts since this morning.. They've removed the animation (good!), fixed keyboard shortcuts, put all the info back on the answer, and in general it feels snappier. There is still no customize your review schedule feature, but the new system is much more workable on a phone.

On the whole, I'd say that GT did a good job fixing the problems I had with it, and if they re-added the customize feature I'd say the update would be a net benefit on a service that was already very good.

My friend sent these to me. Priceless

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• gunnerquestion.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 462
  • gunneranswer.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 452
You have to give them credit for fixing almost every single issue by the end of the first day. All things move forward and change. They are not going back to the old gunner, so let's help them improve the new one.

You have to give them credit for fixing almost every single issue by the end of the first day. All things move forward and change. They are not going back to the old gunner, so let's help them improve the new one.
why aren't they? or at least make it an option?

Never mind, support emailed me back in less then a minute which is really great. Now if only their support team could work for my internet provider then life would be nice.

how do you apply the deal to an existing account?

Oh, and why the hell did they get rid of the number for percent mastered? I like to see if my level of mastery increased .1-.2% following review. It helped keep me motivated to see that incremental progress. Now I just see the stupid bar, which doesn't tell me much day-to-day.

agree :mad:

Dear Gunner:

It has almost been 24 hours since you left. Sigh. Will you please come back?

I look at the new you, and I can't stop comparing the new you to the old you. I liked you before. You say there are better things to come and you had to change to prepare for them. I say I don't want better. You were perfect for what I need. I want the you I met and fell in love with.

I didn't know how much you meant to me until you left. What do I have to do to get you to come back home?

To apply the deal to an existing account you have to put in the deal number in the email that they gave in the coupon portion of the account. The code is the digits in the link before the slash. I have no idea why they never explained this in the email.

They made several massive mistakes and corrected a few of the blatant errors. As in, the questions would become completely worthless or mismatched, defeating the whole point of using the site. The text on the site is now hard to read. The interface for going through the cards is ungainly and the coloration scheme makes it impossible to find anything. Several key features are missing. Routine functions now do not work. No functionality has been added other than the reset button.

All things change? This is ridiculous. This isn't change, I thought I had a driver malfunction when I booted up this morning. And of course, no official posts, not even a tweet. What's the point of having a blog and twitter? If they wanted input they could have asked for it. But they didn't, because they don't care. But hey, I guess you're right. In modern corporate America we should be thankful the site didn't shut down after I paid them, then emailed my mother daily crotch shots.

They need to do their alphas in house, not roll them out with no warning or testing whenever they feel like it. I have **** to do, and messing around with this website isn't on the list. And it's not like I can go find a copy of the old gunner somewhere, they're just like ok take it or leave it. When you roll something out in IT and it's full of bugs you roll it back until you figure out what went wrong. You don't just shrug and go with it. It's not 1995 anymore. You can't tell me that someone in gunner training actually used the new interface, specifically the flashcards page, before they switched it for everyone, and that's unacceptable.

I didn't want to wake up today and decide to spend 30 minutes having to change all the settings on my computer to high contrast and clear type so I can use gunner training without wanting to throw my computer out the window. I did it because I had to. And when gunner rolls out step 2 you can bet I'm going to remember how they handled this and how much they say they care vs. what they do when **** hits the fan. They built the standard I'm judging them by.

I don't like this new gunner :( I want the old one back.

At least they re-added customize the review. I live by that.

Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow with my custom review button and old color scheme back in my account. All just a bad dream. :sleep:

I'm honestly pretty surprised at how much people are complaining about the changes. The old GT was cool but the color scheme looked like a bad 80s video game. I don't see the big fuss about them upgrading the look of the site. Let's face it we all use the website not because it was so aesthetically pleasing, but because it gets the job done and helps us remember! And to be quite frank I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a company that responds as quickly as these guys do. I'm pretty sure I sent the support guy like 20 emails today and he got back right away - to every single one. I'm not experiencing all these bizarre color schemes that are unreadable. Hav you all updated your web browsers lately? Looks pretty good with the newest chrome or firefox. No company is static it's just not realistic. People complain about every change the Facebook interface gets but it all seems to work itself out. At the end of the day everyone and their grandma has a fb account now. I think the content is still good and now that I can actually use their questions again I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

If you're seeing the really uneven messed up font changing clear type on a windows computer will fix that. Personalization -> display -> ClearType

If you still can't stand it, changing it to high contrast mode hid most of my issues and conflicts, the flashcards page is still pretty hard to navigate.

Personalization -> Basic and High Contrast Themes

High Contrast #2 worked the best for me. It completely changes your entire computer's display, but you do what you have to.

attachment.php

Attachments

• whorunit.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 443
As long as they make the functionality as it was before along with continually adding new functions, then I'm fine with the new interface honestly. I actually thought it was kind of cool for a few minutes I was playing around.

I didn't want to wake up today and decide to spend 30 minutes having to change all the settings on my computer to high contrast and clear type so I can use gunner training without wanting to throw my computer out the window. I did it because I had to. And when gunner rolls out step 2 you can bet I'm going to remember how they handled this and how much they say they care vs. what they do when **** hits the fan. They built the standard I'm judging them by.

right with you man!

I'm honestly pretty surprised at how much people are complaining about the changes. The old GT was cool but the color scheme looked like a bad 80s video game. I don't see the big fuss about them upgrading the look of the site. Let's face it we all use the website not because it was so aesthetically pleasing, but because it gets the job done and helps us remember! And to be quite frank I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a company that responds as quickly as these guys do. I'm pretty sure I sent the support guy like 20 emails today and he got back right away - to every single one. I'm not experiencing all these bizarre color schemes that are unreadable. Hav you all updated your web browsers lately? Looks pretty good with the newest chrome or firefox. No company is static it's just not realistic. People complain about every change the Facebook interface gets but it all seems to work itself out. At the end of the day everyone and their grandma has a fb account now. I think the content is still good and now that I can actually use their questions again I'm pretty sure it will be fine.
People are complaining because they took away features, there's issues w/ cards missing answers, and problems between browsers.

By the hammer of Thor, my glorious custom review button is back!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkLXM589q4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

People are complaining because they took away features, there's issues w/ cards missing answers, and problems between browsers.

I agree that the problems between browsers is a huge issue, and unexcusable actually. But what features are gone? I saw the the custom review sliding scale is back (THANK GOD!) and overall it seems like the problems with the quizzing have resolved, I'm able to see entire answers during quiz mode. No more "Q: What is the mechanism of Albendazole" "A: Albendazole." Are there other features that are missing? I'm a new M1 so I'm new to the whole GT thing, so haven't fully figured out how to use it yet!

What is it with software updates always making things worse at first?

They should really have betas and get feedback from high end users.

Now that they've fixed the MAJOR glitches in the new system, I think I might actually stay with it. I dunno, I'll do my questions for today and really decide, but I am very happy to know I have the option to go back to the old version if I am still not satisfied. It's really refreshing to be dealing with a company that seems to value customer input so much.

Ok, it keeps highlighting everything when I use the keyboard shortcuts during the quiz. This is irritating. It's weird though, because the first couple questions didn't get highlighted when I used the shortcuts, but now it won't stop highlighting everything. It seemed to happen after I clicked the custom review button. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind! They changed the keyboard shortcuts! It is not longer Shift + down arrow to show answer, just click right arrow! No more highlighting.

Last edited:
Ok, it keeps highlighting everything when I use the keyboard shortcuts during the quiz. This is irritating. It's weird though, because the first couple questions didn't get highlighted when I used the shortcuts, but now it won't stop highlighting everything. It seemed to happen after I clicked the custom review button. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind! They changed the keyboard shortcuts! It is not longer Shift + down arrow to show answer, just click right arrow! No more highlighting.

Apparently it is a problem with firefox only. Is that what you're using? I also was able to click somewhere below the problem and the highlighting wouldn't happen. I'll also try the new shortcut though.