Gunner Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bpaindoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Gunner Training worth it during M1 if you are in a graded system?

I feel like I wouldn't have a shot at honoring anything if I did GT. I'm already studying a lot also.

How much time per day or week would you need?

usually I dont mind minor blunders that you can guess from the flashcard but here in urea cycle:

Q:
During the urea cycle, aspartate is converted to fumarate. Describe the process by which fumarate is converted into aspartate in order to ensure that the flow of nitrogen into the cycle is maintained.

A:
Oxaloacetate is converted to aspartate by transaminases, ensuring that the flow of nitrogen into the cycle is maintained.

(using old gunner)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else have a problem with flashcards that are already banked showing up as unvisited? i don't seem to see any new info on these cards either..

does anyone else have a problem with flashcards that are already banked showing up as unvisited? i don't seem to see any new info on these cards either..

I saw the same thing. Maybe if they add new questions it shows up as unvisited again?

Is GT too easy?

I have been going through questions by system, and have found certain blocks really easy, especially embryology. How does it compare with other Q-banks? I plan on moving on to UWorld soon but just wandered if GT is at a lower standard than others?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.570585,-1.102608

I think the question banks are definitely easier than Uworld or even qbank. I like to use them more for our faculty written exams than for shelves or step prep. The cards are what the majority are using for retention, but I don't consider the banks to be very good.

I think the question banks are definitely easier than Uworld or even qbank. I like to use them more for our faculty written exams than for shelves or step prep. The cards are what the majority are using for retention, but I don't consider the banks to be very good.
Don't use it as a qbank. Use it as a way to pound FA into your head. I always do GT with FA open in the window next to it.

Don't use it as a qbank. Use it as a way to pound FA into your head. I always do GT with FA open in the window next to it.

Agreed. Gunner training questions are "have you memorized this first aid factoid" UWorld questions are can you apply said factoids to a complex question. Uworld is definitely "harder" but memorizing the facts from gunner training makes doing the complex questions much much easier. I'd recommend using both.

i've banked 3 subjects so far (~50% mastery) and right now I have around 170 review questions per day. i'm getting through them, but--how is this going to work after i bank more subjects? (14 more to go...) i'm not sure i can handle more than 200 daily. how are you guys doing it?:confused:

I've gone through about 25% of the total flashcards but since MS2 started, I stopped reviewing/going over first year stuff and am trying to just add in current topics. I'm having the same problem in that I'm marking all the new topics as 1s so that every day I'm getting compounded with first year review material and second year stuff - about 150-200s and it's just getting overwhelming. I'm just focusing on on MS2 stuff since I have an exam coming but it's really hard to do the daily reviews, then go over remainder of first year topics and THEN also add in what I'm learning now.

I am on comprehensive mode though

i've banked 3 subjects so far (~50% mastery) and right now I have around 170 review questions per day. i'm getting through them, but--how is this going to work after i bank more subjects? (14 more to go...) i'm not sure i can handle more than 200 daily. how are you guys doing it?:confused:

You'll notice that as you work on the same questions, you'll remember them better, they'll be spaced out further, and your daily question load will go down. As you add more material, however, your question load will go up, as you're adding more Q's to the review calendar and you'll see those questions more frequently as they haven't sunk in yet.

I like to go in spurts. As i start a class, i add most of the material, which means a lot of daily Qs. I do this early in the class, when I can afford more time to spend on GT. Later, closer to the test, I'm not adding new material, and have learned the things well enough to master most material and see it less frequently, which lowers the daily question load significantly.

You'll notice that as you work on the same questions, you'll remember them better, they'll be spaced out further, and your daily question load will go down. As you add more material, however, your question load will go up, as you're adding more Q's to the review calendar and you'll see those questions more frequently as they haven't sunk in yet.

I like to go in spurts. As i start a class, i add most of the material, which means a lot of daily Qs. I do this early in the class, when I can afford more time to spend on GT. Later, closer to the test, I'm not adding new material, and have learned the things well enough to master most material and see it less frequently, which lowers the daily question load significantly.
I do something similar. When I take my exam for a specific unit (we just got done with immunology) I go bank all the material I can for that subject while it's fresh in my head. The goal is to just keep that info fresh and not to ever have to relearn something. When you just covered the subject in massive med school detail, you can probably score 3-4 on most questions and it's a lot easier than learning something new.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am really confused on how to organize my stuff. I am in lite mode and I wanted to know how to move forward in regards to the following:

1. When I do the quiz questions and miss some with level 1 or 2, after the quiz is done it says i should study those topics and take those specific quiz questions again. Do I do this immediately or when?

2. "You've seen and answered all the questions for this card (they're part of your scheduled review quizzes now)"...does this phrase mean that the questions I redo from question #1 will show up again and in what way?...do they just pop up? For those above quiz questions I miss, when will they show up again and in what context? In other words how do I really know I memorized the material since what I am doing is reading FA and taking taking the quiz questions for those sections...so exactly when will they pop up again?

3. Can you explain the numbers in the personal study plan and how it relates to the tabs in the review your schedule heading?

4. Can you explain the "Accelerate Your Studies...Complete your review questions for the next:" what exactly am I to put there?

Can you please answer my questions in the above format to make it easy on me?

Can anyone comment on how to rate your recall level (1-5) to best use the spaced learning algorithm of GT? There seems to be alot of ambiguous cases where I'm really confused what I should rate things.

This is what I'm doing now.

1. I basically have never seen this material before. I have yet to rate anything a 1

2. Just like it says: Something I forgot, but on seeing the flashcard it's familiar. This is pretty much anything I cannot recall.

3. I use 3 for alot of cases. If I sit there trying to remember and it takes me a long time. If I know the gist of the question's answer moderately well, but I miss some minor detail that is either not specifically asked for or I miss some other aspect of the answer I deem at least mildly important.

4. I remember all the details for the answer, but it doesn't come to me INSTANTLY. If I have to think for even a little bit of time I rate it a 4.

5. Stuff that I basically know before I even finish reading the question.

Also how do you deal with rating questions from a card you just banked where all the information is really fresh (4 or 5). And then in the same vein, how do you guys rate questions after you just restudied a topic due to rating something a 2 in your initial review?

Can you guys give me any pointers about how to alter my rating method to best make use of the system? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is this program even necessary if you plan on thoroughly going through first aid?

I signed up for gunner but just the act of adding new cards takes forever, and then doing and reviewing the questions also take forever.

I worry that if I spend too much time on this everyday, I won't be able to go through first aid as well as I like. I also seem to recall things from paper text better than computer screen text.

Wouldn't just focusing on first aid be enough? I mean this program didn't exist a few years ago and people did well without it.

Has anyone noticed "broken" flash cards?

I have now 7 cards (seems to be increasing) that won't let me add questions to my quizzes. The points are highlighted for review, but I can't do anything about them. Seems like this happens at random.

Can anyone comment on how to rate your recall level (1-5) to best use the spaced learning algorithm of GT? There seems to be alot of ambiguous cases where I'm really confused what I should rate things.

This is what I'm doing now.

1. I basically have never seen this material before. I have yet to rate anything a 1

2. Just like it says: Something I forgot, but on seeing the flashcard it's familiar. This is pretty much anything I cannot recall.

3. I use 3 for alot of cases. If I sit there trying to remember and it takes me a long time. If I know the gist of the question's answer moderately well, but I miss some minor detail that is either not specifically asked for or I miss some other aspect of the answer I deem at least mildly important.

4. I remember all the details for the answer, but it doesn't come to me INSTANTLY. If I have to think for even a little bit of time I rate it a 4.

5. Stuff that I basically know before I even finish reading the question.

Also how do you deal with rating questions from a card you just banked where all the information is really fresh (4 or 5). And then in the same vein, how do you guys rate questions after you just restudied a topic due to rating something a 2 in your initial review?

Can you guys give me any pointers about how to alter my rating method to best make use of the system? Thanks in advance.

this is very similar to how i do it. I answer "5" <5% of the time. I always rate stuff according to my recall when I see it, whether I just banked the question for this quiz or have seen it 15 times already. If i remember it better the second time (on restudy after a 2), then i give it a 4. I figure the system will sort this stuff out.

Is this program even necessary if you plan on thoroughly going through first aid?

I signed up for gunner but just the act of adding new cards takes forever, and then doing and reviewing the questions also take forever.

I worry that if I spend too much time on this everyday, I won't be able to go through first aid as well as I like. I also seem to recall things from paper text better than computer screen text.

Wouldn't just focusing on first aid be enough? I mean this program didn't exist a few years ago and people did well without it.

as someone said earlier, this program basically is First Aid, just in a different format. If you think you can get the same result by just reading FA, then go for it. I don't; the question challenge format is really working for me in a way that staring at pages of FA doesn't. But that's not for everyone. I'll use FA too when the time comes, but it's not my only interface with the material.

Any M1's using GT?

No one ever seems to answer this question!

I am. I'm about to start week 8 of M1. I switched from lite mode to comprehensive mode from the very first day. I've banked almost all the material we have covered in class lectures so far, which amounts to 11.2% (95/846 flashcards) and I have an overall mastery of 6.3%.

I spend probably an hour a day on GT at this point; ~30min on flashcards and ~30min educating myself on things on new cards have that weren't taught in class. I'm not using or annotating FA at all right now, and I don't plan to at this time.

I plan on using GT all the way through M2, but I hope to have mastered the vast majority of it near the end of M2, at which point I will stop using it (or at least greatly phase it out) in favor of reading through FA once or twice before I take Step 1 while doing other qbanks and review books.

Does that plan sound good to current M2s, or anyone who has studied for Step 1 using GT in the past?

I am. I'm about to start week 8 of M1. I switched from lite mode to comprehensive mode from the very first day. I've banked almost all the material we have covered in class lectures so far, which amounts to 11.2% (95/846 flashcards) and I have an overall mastery of 6.3%.

I spend probably an hour a day on GT at this point; ~30min on flashcards and ~30min educating myself on things on new cards have that weren't taught in class. I'm not using or annotating FA at all right now, and I don't plan to at this time.

I plan on using GT all the way through M2, but I hope to have mastered the vast majority of it near the end of M2, at which point I will stop using it (or at least greatly phase it out) in favor of reading through FA once or twice before I take Step 1 while doing other qbanks and review books.

Does that plan sound good to current M2s, or anyone who has studied for Step 1 using GT in the past?

Thanks bro!

Are you @ a pass fail or graded? How do you feel with the time commitment and material?

Do you think you are putting it into your long term memory, or would the re-learning of things like biochem work just fine during M2?

It is a huge commitment for an M1 to spend 5 hours a week or so for a year, so I don't want to jump in unless I'm sure it will be VERY helpful. Thanks to all for the feedback....

I'm at P/F but grades are kept internally, and I'm still aiming to be in the top 20% after two years (for AOA, a more effusive dean's letter, and for pre-clinical honors that are calculated at the end of M2). At this point, I don't feel like GT is hurting my pre-clinical grades; if that changes when I am eventually doing ~200 questions per day I will let you know. I know 7 hours a week sounds like a lot, but it's not that much. It aids in my studying rather than taking away from it (except for the first 2 weeks when I was getting used to the program and figuring out how to use it effectively). I've definitely gotten test questions correct due to the clinically-oriented questions that appear in GT after you've mastered a concept that I wouldn't have gotten correct if I hadn't been using GT to supplement my studying.

A lot of it is going into long-term memory, but I'm still losing some of it. I think the major advantage of GT is that even after you've "mastered" a question, it will still show up every few months. What I'm really hoping to get out of this program is that my review before Step 1 will be much more manageable and I will be able to focus more on qbanks and less on reviewing because the material will come back to me easier (even though it might not be perfectly in my long-term memory). I feel like without GT, I would have to re-learn a lot of material for a second time before Step 1; with GT, I feel like a simple review will suffice and the material will come back to my memory easier and allow me to focus on qbanks instead.

I've only been using GT for 7 weeks so hopefully I'm not completely off-base :laugh:

also, FWIW, I feel like my school is easier than others. They've been teaching to the boards and have been teaching pathways in surprisingly low levels of detail...like, GT requires more detail than some of my classes :scared: So maybe that is what allows me to take so much time away from studying lecture notes to use for GT.

Last edited:

I would say is first aid even necessary if you plan on thoroughly going through gunner training? Adding cards GT takes a long time, but so does going over that same material in first aid. And with GT you might just remember it.

And yes, people did well without GT, or Uworld, etc. But the average score for Step1 keeps creeping up, and I doubt its because people are getting smarter. More likely it's the better test prep materials available.

I'm at P/F but grades are kept internally, and I'm still aiming to be in the top 20% after two years (for AOA, a more effusive dean's letter, and for pre-clinical honors that are calculated at the end of M2). At this point, I don't feel like GT is hurting my pre-clinical grades; if that changes when I am eventually doing ~200 questions per day I will let you know. I know 7 hours a week sounds like a lot, but it's not that much. It aids in my studying rather than taking away from it (except for the first 2 weeks when I was getting used to the program and figuring out how to use it effectively). I've definitely gotten test questions correct due to the clinically-oriented questions that appear in GT after you've mastered a concept that I wouldn't have gotten correct if I hadn't been using GT to supplement my studying.

A lot of it is going into long-term memory, but I'm still losing some of it. I think the major advantage of GT is that even after you've "mastered" a question, it will still show up every few months. What I'm really hoping to get out of this program is that my review before Step 1 will be much more manageable and I will be able to focus more on qbanks and less on reviewing because the material will come back to me easier (even though it might not be perfectly in my long-term memory). I feel like without GT, I would have to re-learn a lot of material for a second time before Step 1; with GT, I feel like a simple review will suffice and the material will come back to my memory easier and allow me to focus on qbanks instead.

I've only been using GT for 7 weeks so hopefully I'm not completely off-base :laugh:

also, FWIW, I feel like my school is easier than others. They've been teaching to the boards and have been teaching pathways in surprisingly low levels of detail...like, GT requires more detail than some of my classes :scared: So maybe that is what allows me to take so much time away from studying lecture notes to use for GT.

Thanks, I really appreciate the time you put into the response.

I think I will jump on board with you.

I would say is first aid even necessary if you plan on thoroughly going through gunner training? Adding cards GT takes a long time, but so does going over that same material in first aid. And with GT you might just remember it.

And yes, people did well without GT, or Uworld, etc. But the average score for Step1 keeps creeping up, and I doubt its because people are getting smarter. More likely it's the better test prep materials available.
First Aid has some better pictures and diagrams. GT has a lot of the same info, but is really lacking in good pictures. However, they do seem to be updating a lot so it may be just a matter of time.

What does the term "banked" mean? Is it the checkbox "perfect recall never show me this card again?"

thanks

Once you've completed the quiz for a card, those questions are "banked" and will appear in your daily schedule. It doesn't matter what score you rate yourself.

First Aid has some better pictures and diagrams. GT has a lot of the same info, but is really lacking in good pictures. However, they do seem to be updating a lot so it may be just a matter of time.

Yeah GT has pictures, but they aren't incorporated in the questions at all. First aid has better visual appeal.

Ideally, I would like to go through both GT and first aid several times, but there are only so many hours in a day.

Yeah GT has pictures, but they aren't incorporated in the questions at all. First aid has better visual appeal.

Ideally, I would like to go through both GT and first aid several times, but there are only so many hours in a day.
When I do my daily review, I usually go by sections. For example, I have 20 questions for Biochem and half my screen is my annotated FA Biochem section and 1/2 is GT. If I get a question I can't make a 4 or higher on, then it's time to look at both GT explanation and FA explanation. Since my FA is digitally inserted into OneNote, I can search it and go right to the section. This has really drilled FA deep into my brain.

When I do my daily review, I usually go by sections. For example, I have 20 questions for Biochem and half my screen is my annotated FA Biochem section and 1/2 is GT. If I get a question I can't make a 4 or higher on, then it's time to look at both GT explanation and FA explanation. Since my FA is digitally inserted into OneNote, I can search it and go right to the section. This has really drilled FA deep into my brain.

How do you get FA digitally? I just have the book.

How do you get FA digitally? I just have the book.
Kinkos will put it in a machine to cut off the binding so it's just a stack of pages. They did this for me for free (If they do charge, it can't be much at all). Then I used a scanner at work to load em, came back in an hour, and they were all scanned in a nice neat little pdf. Printed that to OneNote and wah-la!

All my text/review books are digital and are in OneNote. All my class stuff is in there too. It's all searchable and I can write, highlight, and paste pictures/videos/recordings. Love it.

It also has some great online sharing features which I'd love to use with my classmates, but they're sold on the mac/pdf bubble note combo. People will catch on one day.

GT just added a section for anatomy. So far it's small and only has head and neck stuff, but hopefully it grows.

Kinkos will put it in a machine to cut off the binding so it's just a stack of pages. They did this for me for free (If they do charge, it can't be much at all). Then I used a scanner at work to load em, came back in an hour, and they were all scanned in a nice neat little pdf. Printed that to OneNote and wah-la!

All my text/review books are digital and are in OneNote. All my class stuff is in there too. It's all searchable and I can write, highlight, and paste pictures/videos/recordings. Love it.

It also has some great online sharing features which I'd love to use with my classmates, but they're sold on the mac/pdf bubble note combo. People will catch on one day.

you chopped up all of your review books?

you chopped up all of your review books?
I didn't. This dude at kinkos did.

It's nice being able to carry 30 some books with me at all times that have a search function and are integrated into my notes.

Give it a few more years and they'll be no need for physical books. I'll get to enjoy that for about 1-2 yrs before the machines that I love so much become aware and destroy me.

It's nice being able to carry 30 some books with me at all times that have a search function and are integrated into my notes.

Give it a few more years and they'll be no need for physical books. I'll get to enjoy that for about 1-2 yrs before the machines that I love so much become aware and destroy me.

Agreed with you, but I don't have a pro scanner. Wonder where I can find one!

I know who to blame for the upcoming Cylon invasion.

I'm another M1 using GT right now, but I really don't like it. I think I might come back to it after Anatomy is done because there's not much to bank from Anatomy. I'll probably use it more when Biochemistry starts up in a few weeks.

To any M1s or future M1s who might be thinking of using this, I would hold off until after Anatomy. I'm finding out that Anatomy is so low yield that it's not worth using GT until after you're done with it.

GT is horrible when trying to learn the material for the first time. It's like trying to use First Aid as a primary source.

GT is horrible when trying to learn the material for the first time. It's like trying to use First Aid as a primary source.

uh yeah because it is basically FA flashcards

use it alongside/after your lectures

good point about warning M1's to finish anatomy before signing up for it, though. I didn't think of that because my anatomy course is very slow-paced and will last until January when we start neuroanatomy during the neuro system bloc. I've had mostly basic sciences so far and just a bit of anatomy each week, so I've been able to make good use of GT

I do feel that it is starting to hurt my grades though. Things are really picking up and I barely have time for GT if I want to keep up with lecture material...

Last edited:
Anyone have a coupon code that can be added to an existing account? My free trial just ended and I'm still not convinced.

I'm holding off on M1 GT because I don't think I can dedicate a full hour a day every week. BUT, I am using review books with classes and reviewing those, definitely not as good as GT but it's serving a similar purpose.

I am actually planning on doing the same thing as you with regards to going digital. I use OneNote now for all my notekeeping, and I am gonna buy a tablet soon so I can annotate FA digitally in Onenote.

The problem I think, is that Onenote will insert FA as an image file and not in PDF format. How do you exactly annotate this way in Onenote, unless you write directly on the image itself? I was thinking about buying the program PDF annotator for all my annotating so my digital ebooks can stay in PDF format, but I want to somehow incorporate Onenote because then I can take advantage of its search and organization features.

I am actually planning on doing the same thing as you with regards to going digital. I use OneNote now for all my notekeeping, and I am gonna buy a tablet soon so I can annotate FA digitally in Onenote.

The problem I think, is that Onenote will insert FA as an image file and not in PDF format. How do you exactly annotate this way in Onenote, unless you write directly on the image itself? I was thinking about buying the program PDF annotator for all my annotating so my digital ebooks can stay in PDF format, but I want to somehow incorporate Onenote because then I can take advantage of its search and organization features.
Get this when it comes out in a week or so: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-XE700T1A-A03US-11-6-Inch-Slate-128/dp/B005OUQ9WO. Can't wait!

Open pdf, click print, select print to one note. Now you can write, type over, highlight, past stuff over, insert recordings, etc. The picture of the page, typing, and written stuff are all searchable.

I'm not sure why a tablet is necessary for annotating digitally in onenote...I've been doing that the whole time with a normal laptop keyboard and mouse

also, you can convert image files to pdfs and hope that the text will still look good enough that pdf can recognize the letters and thus that the search function will still work

I'm not sure why a tablet is necessary for annotating digitally in onenote...I've been doing that the whole time with a normal laptop keyboard and mouse

also, you can convert image files to pdfs and hope that the text will still look good enough that pdf can recognize the letters and thus that the search function will still work
OneNote has a search function that can search images, type, and writing. It actually does a pretty decent job on my chicken scratch doctor hand writing. No need to use pdf for anything. If you wanted, you could convert the onenote to pdf and read it on your phone I guess.

Well it serves more than just that purpose. Aside from the fact I feel like I absorb info better if I physically write it as opposed to typing it, I can take notes while in class, or if the lecture sucks I can do something else on it.

I've been eyeing the samsung slate, but I decided to get the q550 for now because its cheaper and for my primary uses (ebook storage/taking notes) it works perfectly.

The windows tablet market will explode once Win8 is here, so there will be much more variety down the line if an upgrade was ever in order.