guns, reflexes, and falling over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboy_ninja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: when you fall down is there a reflex or a form of Myoclonus that causes you to ball your hands into fists? more specific if you fell to the ground with a gun in your hand is there some reaction that would make you unknowingly discharge the gun? thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Havent heard of that one. But I have heard of cops clenching both hands when they are supposed to be using pepper spray but also have their gun out, resulting in a negligent discharge.

But, if you follow the rules and always keep that finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to shoot, it cant become an issue.

Probably more of a startle/fear type reaction. There are times when it's appropriate to begin firing as you go down. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to plan a murder and blame it on reflexes??? Hmmm....

I'm pretty sure the reflex is to extend the arm & open one's hand.

cowboy_ninja said:
I have a question: when you fall down is there a reflex or a form of Myoclonus that causes you to ball your hands into fists? more specific if you fell to the ground with a gun in your hand is there some reaction that would make you unknowingly discharge the gun? thanks for your time

Speculating here, but if you fall and your finger is in the trigger guard, your finger could bounce around during the fall, causing the weapon to discharge...especially as you try to catch yourself when you hit the deck. I have not had the displeasure of experiencing this, so I would defer to more experienced posters.

Wook