Guys…I need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladiolus23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The earliest you can take the new MCAT is April 2015, so as much as I don't advocate you going into your Jan 15 exam preparing for a retake (please don't have that mentality), you have a solid 3-4 months to study for the new one if that ends up being the case. Do you really think you need the tutor, or did you just need the kick in the rear to devote the time to it?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Words of wisdom from a guy who aced that test:

1. Take the AAMC #3 (the free one)
2. Get your score.
3. Come back here and tell us how you did.

That will give everyone some idea of just how much work you still have ahead of you.

Ok so I need help making this decision…b/c for some reason, it's causing me a lot of stress!

I'm taking my MCAT on Jan 15th and am unfortunately still doing content review…but I'm almost done. I took a TPR course over the summer and was stupid enough not to make use of it at all. Even though I knew the MCAT was changing, I took the course lightly and didn't study hard-core like I should have. I wish things were different, but I can't change the past now My time-management and discipline sucks, and I'm just beginning to realize first-hand that I will NEVER get to medical school like this.

Recently, one of my course instructors talked about tutoring for the MCAT and told us that she has been able to raise students' scores by many points by working with them on practice and strategy. One girl was able to raise her MCAT score from a 20 to a 32-33, but that took her close to 4 months of tutoring.

Now, I am impressed by these success stories and wish I could hire this lady as my MCAT tutor…BUT it's $300/hr. and my MCAT is only a month away! I'm not sure if there's anything I can do so late at this point in time to drastically improve whatever MCAT test-taking skills I need….and I've already spent and shamelessly wasted $3000 on a prep course. I'm definitely going to write the old MCAT, but I've kinda accepted the fact that I may have to write the new one too and have mentally prepared myself to study for it right after Jan 15th.

Considering my situation, do you think I should go ahead with tutoring as a desperate attempt to "magically" improve? Has anyone ever done this? Or will it just be a huge waste of money and time at this point?

I personally don't recommend a tutor. Of course I never used one myself, but that hourly cost seems ludicrous. Take an AAMC practice test and let us know how you're doing. I was also freaking out a month prior to my MCAT until I performed much better than expected on the practice. You don't have to know 100% of the content to do well. If you went through Kaplan, they provide like a dozen real AAMC tests for free. Give that a shot.

If the practice doesn't go well, come up with a reasonable plan to take the new MCAT in the summer, perhaps July or August.

Last edited:
All I can add is do NOT take the MCAT unless you are 100% prepared for it. This includes having diagnostic scores as high as possible.

Ok so I need help making this decision…b/c for some reason, it's causing me a lot of stress!

I'm taking my MCAT on Jan 15th and am unfortunately still doing content review…but I'm almost done. I took a TPR course over the summer and was stupid enough not to make use of it at all. Even though I knew the MCAT was changing, I took the course lightly and didn't study hard-core like I should have. I wish things were different, but I can't change the past now My time-management and discipline sucks, and I'm just beginning to realize first-hand that I will NEVER get to medical school like this.

Recently, one of my course instructors talked about tutoring for the MCAT and told us that she has been able to raise students' scores by many points by working with them on practice and strategy. One girl was able to raise her MCAT score from a 20 to a 32-33, but that took her close to 4 months of tutoring.

Now, I am impressed by these success stories and wish I could hire this lady as my MCAT tutor…BUT it's $300/hr. and my MCAT is only a month away! I'm not sure if there's anything I can do so late at this point in time to drastically improve whatever MCAT test-taking skills I need….and I've already spent and shamelessly wasted $3000 on a prep course. I'm definitely going to write the old MCAT, but I've kinda accepted the fact that I may have to write the new one too and have mentally prepared myself to study for it right after Jan 15th.

Considering my situation, do you think I should go ahead with tutoring as a desperate attempt to "magically" improve? Has anyone ever done this? Or will it just be a huge waste of money and time at this point?

Reactions: 2 users
You sound exactly like myself! I took a Kaplan class over the summer and wish I had used it to its full extent at the time. I could've been done in August or September! I ended up taking the Dec 6 test so we'll see how I do next month.

Anyway, I think you'd only need the tutor if you are having trouble understanding the content. It sounds to me more like your issue is motivation and just studying the material. If once you've covered everything yourself and you still can't master it, then I'd get the personal tutor (this is hypothetical, I know you don't have the time for that).

How far have you gotten in the content review? 50% through?

OP, I think you are in a tight spot. You only have a month left until your January exam, and you really should be starting on the AAMC practice exams at this time. The fact that you haven't even finished content review is a major red flag. Have you been at least doing practice passages during your content review process?

Like @Spinach Dip mentioned above, take AAMC #3 ASAP so that you'll have a somewhat accurate idea of where you are score-wise currently. As much as I hate the new MCAT, I am leaning towards recommending that you take the new one.

But again, take an AAMC exam ASAP. Once you see how you perform, you can then report back.

as someone who works as a tutor, ill shamelessly say that it can PARTIALLY be considered a scam and that I would recommend you DON'T do it- ESPECIALLY if the rates are something absolutely absurd like $300/hour. There is no magic formula or strategy to improve significantly in a month- I don't care how good the tutor is. however, you should rest assured that the prep course WASNT a waste of money since they hook you up with a ton of written resources and questions, which are pretty much all you need. if you insist on a tutor, id say get one for maybe an hour or two and that's it. any sort of important "strategies" can be taught in that short amount of time anyway. and look for one much cheaper. as long as they know their stuff, you'll be fine.

as someone who works as a tutor, ill shamelessly say that it can PARTIALLY be considered a scam and that I would recommend you DON'T do it- ESPECIALLY if the rates are something absolutely absurd like $300/hour. There is no magic formula or strategy to improve significantly in a month- I don't care how good the tutor is. however, you should rest assured that the prep course WASNT a waste of money since they hook you up with a ton of written resources and questions, which are pretty much all you need. if you insist on a tutor, id say get one for maybe an hour or two and that's it. any sort of important "strategies" can be taught in that short amount of time anyway. and look for one much cheaper. as long as they know their stuff, you'll be fine.

+1. Tutors can definitely be helpful, but I bet you can find a good one for much less than $300. Check craigslist for freelance tutors as well. Tutors can help you see how you're approaching questions, and how to improve that approach (like, what are the patterns of mistakes you're making. This is definitely something that CAN be done alone, but some people may find it easier to have someone help them with this). I'd stay away from the big companies if you can. The thing is time is running out if you want to take the Jan 15th MCAT, and if you know this lady is good (like have actually talked to people she's tutored), it may be worth it just so you're not wasting time finding another tutor.

I'd also recommend that whenever you consider a tutor, ask for a trial mini-session. Ask them to go over one passage with you at a discounted price so you can make sure you like their style.