Guys...I'm cold.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hoped I'd come back to California a much tougher person after 4 years of east coast winters, but it's 58 today and I'm sitting here shivering so I don't think it worked.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Never in my life have I ever heard of car tires shattering due to the cold.

I'm from North Dakota.

Also, there's a medical school in Grand Forks, ND. With that, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c456.html

There isn't even a single IL city in the top 30. No one else gets to complain. ;)
Strategic cut off. If you REALLY wanted to prove your point you should of said, "top 33" ;).

But, let's be real here. There is 0 difference between >10 and <20 degrees. Plus, you have to factor in wind chill. When I was a kid I never once asked my ma what the temperature was outside; instead, I always asked "what's the wind chill"...

Last edited:
Strategic cut off. If you REALLY wanted to prove your point you should of said, "top 33" ;).

Everyone does this.

E.g. "We're ranked in the top 15" = "We're 15th in the nation" :p

And that's totally not a dig at the Blackhawks. ;)

But, let's be real here. There is 0 difference between 12-14 and 19 degrees. Plus, you have to factor in wind chill. When I was a kid I never once asked my ma what the temperature was outside; instead, I always asked "what's the wind chill"..

A couple degrees isn't much, but 15 degrees around freezing is very significant.

The ranges are hugely different, too:

eRkMTKw.png

vs

3ZOK6pu.png

Chicago's low temperature average doesn't even reach Grand Forks' high temperature average in January.

Now factor in that one is Chicago and the other is Grand Forks, and I think you are going to have to give this one to the poor city.

And yes, yes I am bored.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They both have very similar wind patterns. They both average 12 mph for most of the winter, and Grand Forks experiences higher gusts. GF consistently peaks around 25-30 mph, whereas Chicago peaks around 20-25 mph.

On an "Average" January day, at their coldest, GF will have -4 degrees F and 12 mph winds. Chicago will be 18 degrees and also have 12 mph. At that point in time the wind chill in GF is around -25 degrees F, and Chicago is around 5 degrees F.

windchill.gif

Fun fact, assuming a normal wind, the coldest wind chill experience in Grand Forks was -75 degrees F on January 30th, 2004. The coldest wind chill in Chicago was -50 on January 20th, 1985. Dontcha just love the Midwest?

There is 70 inches of snow in Buffalo, NY.

I'm only 69 inches tall..

Reactions: 1 users
I just never realized how serious this was. Maybe post-december interviews aren't a bad thing after all.
It's serious enough that we're having our second snow day at SUNY Buffalo in as many days. It's quite rare that UB closes even once in a year, so when it happens two days in a row... it's gettin' real

Reactions: 1 user
In Las Vegas I have been walking around with a t shirt on.

Jealous. California has been in a drought for years and it sucks. 90 degrees on thanksgiving is not ok. I want a white Christmas.

Global warming is causing colder winters. Blame whatever causes global warming.