Guys!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy or planning to buy your suits? I'm thinking about plain ol' JCPenny, but trying to find a nice place. Price range? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDocDO said:
Where did you buy or planning to buy your suits? I'm thinking about plain ol' JCPenny, but trying to find a nice place. Price range? Thank you.

JCPenny is fine. They have those 99 bucks special "worstedwool" crap. A decent wool suit cost about 200. But if you want to save cash, Goodwill. Saves you tons of money! They may even have brand name suits. No one will even notice your suit at the interview. That is as long as you wear a suit that's simple and traditional. It can even be polyester and people will not notice the difference.

I went to Dillard’s and spent about $200 with alterations. I would recommend paying a little more for a good suit. It’s not that anyone would notice on interview day, but I felt better and more confident in a nice, well fitting suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a guy, but sometimes there are 3 Day Suit Broker places that are only open three days a week but you can get a great deal. I don't think Men's Wearhouse is too bad either and they have nice suits.

jonb12997 said:
Ditto the Men's Wearhouse...
Yah, I got my suite from the Men's Wearhouse as well. Granted, it will be more expensive than 2nd hand stores and probably JC Penny's, but it will fit better and I honestly think a good suit WILL be noticed... At least subconsciously:) First impressions! :D

jonb12997 said:
Ditto the Men's Wearhouse...

I think I'll go to Men's Wearhouse. I checked it out online last night. Their suits look fairly nice. Dillard's online was just too expensive!

I'm moving this weekend to an apartment within 3 blocks of a Men's Warehouse so I am going to keep popping in and wait for a good sale. If I have time I may check a few 2nd hand stores.

I always say to put money into a suit now because it's something you can use again and again if you buy well now. Are you a boy or a girl? Guys I don't know as well...:) For ladies, I think J.Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. make nice, conservative suits. I got a navy blue suit from JCrew a few months back that was ultra cheap...The jacket was $99 marked down from $269 and the pants were $70 marked down from $150...And it's very cute. Of course, the shirt underneath, belt, shoes, bag etc marked up the price for the whole outfit. :)

Just bought a pretty sick suit at Meier & Frank's department store. Not sure if you guys have Meier & Frank's in your area, but if so check them out. They're having a great sale right now on designer suits, pretty much all 50-60% off.

My suit was marked $450, got it for $230 + $60 in alterations. Awesome suit (real dark charcoal gray with a barely noticeable pinstripe). My first suit.

Last edited:
If you dont own a suit, you might as well spend some decent money on a good one now as you will certainly get good use out of it later..whether it be for meetings w/docs...formal events...or eventually residency interviews. I would suggest a black or navy Hugo Boss as they offer a conservative twist with a lil european flavor...youl pay 695.00 for a 100% light wool/all season Super 120 (120 thread count per square inch of fabric) basically meanign its high quality. Trust me..ive worked in the mens high fashion clothing industry for a few years and you get what you pay for. A good quality suit will make you look much better due to its cut and feel than a 150 dollar suit from jcpenny...

Brooks Brothers.

No, jk. My friend is an investment banker @ Lehman, and theyre business formal, so the week b4 he started he went out and bought 5 Brooks Brothers suits. Damned bankers...

I got mine from Macy's actually, and it's pretty decent for $150... if you can wait, they have these mega sales from time to time.

-

Last edited:
I just bought a really nice one from the Men's Wearhouse for $499.00. That is just the price of the suit excluding tax and alterations. Beware of the salesperson! They try to sell you every accessories. I ended up spending $666.00 even.

The service at Men's Warehouse has been excellent, in my experience. They wait on you and are very professional.

I would have definitely bought some more (or less) of those accessories...

Goose-d said:
I would have definitely bought some more (or less) of those accessories...

It was so freaking expensive. The service was great though. I went in there with the intention of spending less than $400 but obviously over spent. Maybe I should have taken more time on my selection. I didn't even look around. I was greeted when I enter and asked what I was looking for. I told them I was looking for a black suit for grad school interview. So this guy gave me 3 choices with increasing threadcounts so I chose the one with the highest threadcount cuz it felt much nicer but didn't even look at the price tag until at checkout time lol. Oh well it's over.

I got two suits at S&K for about $300 or so during some special they had. I've received compliments from strangers on both suits, so they're not bad.