guyton physiology textbook for course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonsciencemajor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-science major having been accepted to a US MD school and I start in August. I have registered for a graduate level biology course Human physiology course offered in my undergrad to prepare me for med school. The textbook is medical physiology written by Guyton. Do you all think this course will make med school easier? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Guyton is one of the better first-year textbooks, but I still wouldn't buy it. The phys BRS is absolutely superb. The text by the BRS's author, Costanzo, is also supposed to be fantastic, so if you're itching to purchase a text, I'd make it that one.

I am a non-science major having been accepted to a US MD school and I start in August. I have registered for a graduate level biology course Human physiology course offered in my undergrad to prepare me for med school. The textbook is medical physiology written by Guyton. Do you all think this course will make med school easier? thanks.

A lot of med schools use this book as thier text so at the very least, you'd be getting a first pass at the material.
How helpful it would be depends on how deep the course takes you into the material. Either way, i wont hurt.
I'm sure everone else is going to tell you to withdraw and take the summer off though.
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I missed the "prep for med school" part. Yeah, I would definitely stay home and do whatever instead of prepping for school. You're going to wish you hadn't done that once your life gets taken over by studying.

Many med schools use Guyton (or Boron) for their 1st year phys courses, and the grad-level phys course using the same textbook can ease your transition into med school. But, the benefit of doing so is pretty marginal IMO and I would just enjoy the last bit of free time before the school starts because you'll regret it later. Besides you don't know yet what your professor will focus on...etc, so enjoy your life for now:).

Big Guyton supplemented along with the Pocket Guyton IS THE BEST COMBINATION. It will make you really good in physiology and I can guarantee you that.

Some say that Guyton undoubtably is the best textbook available, while others say that it is way too detailed and that Costanza is so much better... I don't know what to believe anymore.

Which of these three doublets would you choose?

Big Costanza + BRS
Guyton + BRS
Guyton + Guyton review

Guyton + Guyton Review + BRS.

And don't pre-study.

That sounds like a good idea and both Guyton and Boron and Boulpaep are really good textbooks for medical physiology, but the problem is that a one semester course in physiology (even a graduate course) might cover only 10% of the physiology that you need for medical school. Unless you're absolutely fascinated by physiology or need to additional credit to graduate, I think taking lighter courseload and enjoying your free time is a better investment.

Yes, that's too many books. Get 2 at most, and I would make sure that one of those 2 is the BRS. If you're allergic to texts, the BRS will be more than sufficient.

I agree that you shouldn't pre-study.