This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please send me a direct message if you have information on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where have you read these "many posts"? Link some here...

Reactions: 1 user
well the recent PGY-3 and -4 classes had more residents than the PGY-1 and -2 classes so that does not fit with this. Also psychiatry residents typically are money losers for hospitals, with the possible exception of PGY-2s. Interns in every specialty are money losers for hospitals because they are useless and work at a 1/4 speed

Members don't see this ad :)
Also psychiatry residents typically are money losers for hospitals, with the possible exception of PGY-2s. Interns in every specialty are money losers for hospitals because they are useless and work at a 1/4 speed

This will depend heavily on how the program handles patient checkout. In some situations, residents may be the only reason the clinic/department stays afloat.

Reactions: 3 users

Umm, as I thought, this is dated information. And hardly what can be called "many posts."

You wrote that you had read "many posts" that GW has attempted to fire psych residents every year since 2010; the links you posted don't support that claim. Only the first post mentions this from 2012 about prior years; the second post offers no new information on resident dismissals, but trashes the program anyway.

I have no dog in this fight - no affiliation or interest in GW, never applied there for anything, wouldn't be caught dead in DC. If you have genuine concerns, try to contact someone at the program. That is pretty easy to do, especially at programs that post the names, and often the email addresses, of current residents.

The posts to which I am referring are within the last two to four years, which, as I am looking for a pattern, I consider the last two to four years to be recent. There have been posts from Jewishprincess, gopens67, globalmental, and johnsmithdr11 about this topic. Yes, I would consider 4 posts about residents being fired at one program to be "many." Whether I consider two to four years ago "recent" and whether I consider four posts to be "many" was not the topic I intended to be discussing. The topic I wanted to be discussing is if anyone else has more information on this.

Reactions: 1 users
Whether I consider two to four years ago "recent" and whether I consider four posts to be "many" was not the topic I intended to be discussing. The topic I wanted to be discussing is if anyone else has more information on this.

Respectfully, you went about this all wrong.

An aside: I find it odd you are a 5+ year member with a grand total of 3 posts, all of them in this thread, since yesterday. And the 2 posts you cited were from posters with a total of 10 and 2 posts, respectively. Usually the sign of someone with an axe to grind - make an account, slander or slur a program - and slink away.

An aside: I find it odd you are a 5+ year member with a grand total of 3 posts, all of them in this thread, since yesterday. And the 2 posts you cited were from posters with a total of 10 and 2 posts, respectively. Usually the sign of someone with an axe to grind - make an account, slander or slur a program - and slink away.

You seem very concerned about this and somehow know more about my account than I do. You clearly took time out of your day to run an investigation. I have no desire to argue with you. Please find another member to obsess over. I am requesting serious replies to my question only.

You seem very concerned about this and somehow know more about my account than I do. You clearly took time out of your day to run an investigation. I have no desire to argue with you. Please find another member to obsess over. I am requesting serious replies to my question only.

I took the time to read your initial post and ask you for more information, and I then bothered to read the "many" posts you cited. I noted the number of posts those people have made, and your post total is there for all to see, too. My replies were serious, and spot on, as was the advice/info others gave here.

Good luck getting anyone else here to respond to you. I have placed you on ignore...

I took the time to read your initial post and ask you for more information, and I then bothered to read the "many" posts you cited. I noted the number of posts those people have made, and your post total is there for all to see, too. My replies were serious, and spot on, as was the advice/info others gave here.

Good luck getting anyone else here to respond to you. I have placed you on ignore...
You proclaimed your replies were spot on, you complimented the others above, and then you make a statement to imply that others should not help me. Forget applying to a psychiatry residency. I just want to shadow you for a day.

Smoke, fire. The reasons are almost irrelevant. A program should have zero terminations, except vanishingly rarely. Yet posters show up here regularly to complain about this particular department firing residents and have been doing so for several years. Far longer than any ax-grinders reasonably would. Can't find any comparable examples on this site.

The latest documented example, where a resident is allegedly being fired because she has cancer, is just one of several such terminations over the years in a very small program. Whatever the truth is in this particular case, she was undeniably terminated. Perhaps the department is just improbably unlucky in the match. None-the-less, whatever its cause, such a pattern causes real concern...

Let's please stick to the topic. If there is no new data, the thread dying seems like fair evidence as well.

Speaking of "data". how about this new report of GWU psychiatry terminating another resident? Even fits the alleged pattern of female and 1st or 2nd year. I wasn't there and can't judge whether she was fired for having cancer, but she was documentably terminated. Even one such termination is cause for concern. But this one is clearly part of an on-going pattern. http://www.idealmedicalcare.org/blog/hospital-fires-doctor-for-having-cancer/

True, many clearly do have axes to grind with the George Washington University Department of Psychiatry. E.g., concerning this latest resident termination, Kristine Dangremond says:

"This sounds like James Griffith to me. He is the head of the department, and was the program director when I was a resident there. He is 90% evil and 10% senile.

When I was there one of his buddies was repeatedly demanding that I prescribe buprenorphine illegally, without a X DEA number. This was so he could leave the addictions clinic in my hands, with no supervisor, and spend the day in his private practice. I refused 18 times, documented that and complained to Dr. Griffith. Dr. Griffith refused to do anything. Apparently he had known about this for four years. When I got his buddy fired from the addictions clinic via the method of pointing out to the director of the clinic what the heck was going on, he had that same buddy supervise me on another rotation at another facility. And when I complained about that, Dr.Griffith wrote some really insane things about me and put it in my personnel file. So when I have needed a reference from George Washington University for subsequent jobs, I have been told they tell people I am not a team player! Some team!

The department is also extremely sexist. Mostly because of James Griffith. He is such a pig.

I am very sorry, but not at all surprised they did this. I was in a meeting where Dr. Griffith was complaining endlessly about a resident who had to have an appendectomy and going on and on that she took to long to recover. I did not know that resident, she had left the program before I started. George Washington University is pretty toxic, but that department takes the cake." See Comments section at: http://www.idealmedicalcare.org/blog/hospital-fires-doctor-for-having-cancer/

This is almost libelous. So she evidently can back up her claims with pretty hard evidence. For one thing, there are multiple witnesses. Note she caught them breaking (or at least severely-stretching) the controlled substance act. While these days I do not use it, I have an-"X" DEA number. The narks can be rather picky about such things.

Last edited:
I apologize for this post being off topic but I just stumbled upon this today. I am 4th year medical student and would like to explore forensic psych. The elective offered by GWU at Northern Viriginia Hospital through VSAS is the only one that fits my schedule. I contacted the school since it's late in the season and was told that if I submit my app I would be offered a spot. I'm now concerned after reading these posts. If anyone has more info about their treatment of students, I need help deciding if this experience will be worthwhile and non-malignant. Thank you.

If you want to do a rotation in forensic psych, don't let a two year old discussion talking about events that happened two years before that stop you. The leaders of undergraduate medical education and the operations of post graduate medical education are very separate. I have seen examples of where one is stellar and the other is horrible in both directions. I suppose you will share patients with residents and their happiness, or unhappiness might rub off a little bit, but you are fairly safe for a few weeks of a rotation as a medical student.

Reactions: 2 users
I apologize for this post being off topic but I just stumbled upon this today. I am 4th year medical student and would like to explore forensic psych. The elective offered by GWU at Northern Viriginia Hospital through VSAS is the only one that fits my schedule. I contacted the school since it's late in the season and was told that if I submit my app I would be offered a spot. I'm now concerned after reading these posts. If anyone has more info about their treatment of students, I need help deciding if this experience will be worthwhile and non-malignant. Thank you.
This is 2 years old, not related to medical student treatment, and not related to the site at which you rotate.

Reactions: 1 users