GW versus Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSox10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all;
I've looked at past forums and couldn't find much info for comparison. Just curious about how both of these schools match up as I've been accepted to both. I'm OOS at Penn State so price is pretty similar. I really enjoyed both interview days and actually could see myself at either school. I slightly prefer the city of DC to Hershey, but it looks like PSU has a slightly better match list...Any thoughts/experiences with either would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

While they are similar in tuition, living in Hershey will be a lot cheaper than in DC. However, if you cannot stand living in a rural area, I wouldn't choose Penn State. I was also accepted to Penn State but decided to go to a school in a big city because I knew I wouldn't be happy in Hershey.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved Penn state so I may be a bit biased but the area is gorgeous and since Harrisburg is literally 10 miles away, you can get the bigger city feel if that's more what your going for. The only issue is if rankings matter to you, Penn state doesn't release their data so they aren't ranked. Its a big school, has an NCI comprehensive cancer center which was a big plus for me and personally, I'd rather live in Hershey than DC. Dc is really expensive to live in (food, housing, etc) so if cost is an issue, lean towards PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
GW was on probation at one point recently, which is a pretty big red flag, IMO.

Penn State is a solid school, I'd probably compare it to Temple or Jeff from a reputation perspective. They have everything you need, and the location is cheap and low-key. Only drawback that I noticed was that their students work really, really hard. Not sure what the motivation for this is (faculty, grading system, personalities or otherwise), but from speaking with the students I know, I get the impression it's a competitive place (this may explain some of the "elite" matches).

All things considered, I'd go with Penn State.

Penn State is a much stronger program, better faculty, better match list, better medical center, new childrens hospital, amazing fitness center, better teacher:student ratio. I could go on.

Thanks everyone. It seems like most people are leaning towards Penn State. Anyone from GW have any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.