GWU IM Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who's rotated at GWU, what was your experience like? I'm thinking of applying for an elective rotation, either an AI in Internal Med or one of the IM subspecialties. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who's rotated at GWU, what was your experience like? I'm thinking of applying for an elective rotation, either an AI in Internal Med or one of the IM subspecialties. Thanks!

I did a sub-i. Very good daily teaching, friendly attendings/residents. Since you use vsas, it's straightforward, BUT you NEED to call the medicine clerkship office to see what they actually have available. I was waiting for like a month to get confirmation, so I called gwu, they told me what they had open, and I had to go into vsas to change my rotation from one specialty to another, because the initial one--cardio was full...but was instantly approved after that.

The actual on boarding to get an id and access wasn't bad, the computer training wasn't either...they use citrix and all scripts I think. Gwu is 20ft from the metro, DC is HOT in the summer, you'll be there 10-12h/d. Free lunch usually. 9/10 experience, got a strong letter of rec from my attending. Matched higher than I ranked them, but it was a good experience.

I did a sub-i. Very good daily teaching, friendly attendings/residents. Since you use vsas, it's straightforward, BUT you NEED to call the medicine clerkship office to see what they actually have available. I was waiting for like a month to get confirmation, so I called gwu, they told me what they had open, and I had to go into vsas to change my rotation from one specialty to another, because the initial one--cardio was full...but was instantly approved after that.

The actual on boarding to get an id and access wasn't bad, the computer training wasn't either...they use citrix and all scripts I think. Gwu is 20ft from the metro, DC is HOT in the summer, you'll be there 10-12h/d. Free lunch usually. 9/10 experience, got a strong letter of rec from my attending. Matched higher than I ranked them, but it was a good experience.

Due to it's location in DC ( you are a stones throw from the Smithsonian / Monuments / etc), do you think they get a higher end patient clientele and you may not see all the weird / fun / interesting stuff you get from the typical county hospital like places that see the poor, downtrodden, immigrants, pt's that haven't seen a doctor since they were born, have had this weird thing growing on me for 2 years and just seeing a doctor now that I can't swallow anymore type of patients?

Members don't see this ad :)