GWU or USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was accepted to both The George Washington School of Public Health and Health Sciences, and as well as The University of South Florida College of Public Health for the Fall 2011 cycle for a concentration in Health Policy.

I have to choose one... and it's like picking between day and night, so I need all the help that I can get on this one. I have to make a decision soon, and I am hoping that it will be the right one! Any critic on the schools program and location will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If money isn't an issue, I would probably go with GWU.
I can't say for sure because I don't know much about GWU and policy isn't my area, but I would expect the DC area to offer a lot more and better job/internship opportunities, especially in policy.

I was also accepted and am contemplating between both of these schools too. anyone else have any opinions?

Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad :)
If money isn't an issue, I would probably go with GWU.
I can't say for sure because I don't know much about GWU and policy isn't my area, but I would expect the DC area to offer a lot more and better job/internship opportunities, especially in policy.

I would have to agree. If policy is your forte, no better place to be than this nation's Capitol. GWU is in a great location; Foggy Bottom. Plenty of think tanks and policy internships to take advantage of, especially during off season (not summer) when interns are limited. Good luck and enjoy working on the Hill if you so choose.

I was Wondering what you ended up choosing as I am currently in the same situation. Admitted to GWU and USF and still awaiting two other schools. What factors pushed you in a particular direction? Are you satisfied with the choice? Thanks

I'm not in policy but I got my masters at the GWU school of public health. One of the best things about GWU is availability of internship and work opportunities, which will give you experience that may be as valuable to your resume as your masters is. Also, working and going to school in DC is good for making connections that can lead to job opportunities after you graduate if you want to stay in the area. Out of any public health track, I would say the policy opportunities are the most abundant and I would absolutely take advantage of them if you do end up coming to GWU.

Thank You. I am leaning towards GWU however will still have to defer for a semester or two. I live in Florida need to get all of my arrangements in order. Hopefully I can find a little financial aid to help me along.

I know you guys would have graduated long back ..was just wondering if someone could throw some light on the dual degree (M.P.H/M.H.A) at USF