GWU vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWU or Georgetown

• George Washington University

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Georgetown

Votes: 44 56.4%

• Total voters

BAM!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you rather go to school?
Which is more prestigeous?
Which has the better clinical experience?
Which has better residency matches?

any other input

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

where could one get the better clinical experience? I'm talking nitty gritty down and dirty raw exposure to disease.

If you ask most people on these forums, they will prob say gtown is more prestigious. Both schools match very well and gtown does particularily well in surgical specialities esp ortho. Frankly I think you can match wherever you want coming from either school depending on what your board scores are and how well you did in your clinical rotations. As for clinical training I think they are comparable between the schools but GW does have an amazing new hospital with the 6th floor dedicated solely to education. I think the reason why most students choose gwu over gtown is the atmosphere/dynamic between students. I hate to generalize but I got an elitist/hugely competitive vibe from the students at gtown whereas gwu's class is so much more diverse and down to earth. This is just an opinion so in the end its up to you decided where you will be most comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
BAM! said:
where could one get the better clinical experience? I'm talking nitty gritty down and dirty raw exposure to disease.

GW definitely serves more of DC's underserved community... also GW has the only Level 1 Trauma Center in DC.

Vizsla said:
I hate to generalize but I got an elitist/hugely competitive vibe from the students at gtown whereas gwu's class is so much more diverse and down to earth. This is just an opinion so in the end its up to you decided where you will be most comfortable.

How did you get elitist vibe when their stats are so low... Neither are really top teir.

drhouse said:
How did you get elitist vibe when their stats are so low... Neither are really top teir.

I'm in the SMP at Georgetown, and I get that too from the med students. There's a lot of students here (at the med school) who went to an Ivy league, which may have something to do with it. Also, they curve the tests based on how the class does, so that promotes competition. Also, it is H/HP/P/LP/F, so it's basically just like getting grades, which also promotes more competition.

hey tacrum - do you like the students, are they nice or a bunch of elitist know it alls? Would you go to school there?

BAM! said:
hey tacrum - do you like the students, are they nice or a bunch of elitist know it alls? Would you go to school there?

You know, we SMPers and the med students don't really talk to each other very much. But one day I overheard this one girl (who was sitting right next to me) complaining about having us in their classes. Her friend was like "Well it doesn't matter, they aren't in our curve." And then when she realized that I wasn't a med student, she mumbled something like "Yeah, I guess you're right" and then looked down at the floor. Whatever.

The truth be known: I do not want to go to Georgetown for medical school. This school is not for me. You will definitely get a thorough education here, and it's good if you want to be a surgeon, but I don't, and I would rather have my classmates be friendly at a lesser ranked school than have to deal with cutthroat people at a higher ranked school. I'm sure some of the med students are very nice, but the general vibe I get is stuck up and competitive. Furthermore, GWU invited us all to tour the campus (not an interview mind you, just a tour) and everyone I talked to afterwards said they preffered it to Georgetown.

But, I would go if I didn't get in someplace else. I'm not insane. Yet. Getting closer with every day though. :eek:

having interviewed at both schools, i must put in my two cents. i found the students at georgetown to be really nice and fun/ normal seeming; i am not your typical pre-med, cut-throat dorky science nerd and i found georgetown to pride itself on not attracting such a group. students there didn't seem to mind the more competitive atmosphere but rather found it comforting--not all of their residency placement would be determined by 2 test days but rather an overall survey on how they did. everyone seems to bash georgetown and it makes me mad. doesn't anyone else have anything positive to say about it?

side note, i am going to gw as of now, so who knows... but if i were to get into georgetown i would have a much harder decision than people are making it out to be.

jpwinsmcgee said:
side note, i am going to gw as of now, so who knows... but if i were to get into georgetown i would have a much harder decision than people are making it out to be.

By all means, please go to Georgetown. Apparently they like it if you show interest, especially letters of intent. Get writing. GWU needs lots of waitlist movement. Lots. :smuggrin:

tacrum43 said:
By all means, please go to Georgetown. Apparently they like it if you show interest, especially letters of intent. Get writing. GWU needs lots of waitlist movement. Lots. :smuggrin:

don't be rude tacrum. just for that i am definitely going to gw. j/k but come on now.

jpwinsmcgee said:
don't be rude tacrum. just for that i am definitely going to gw. j/k but come on now.

i'm going toooooooo

jpwinsmcgee said:

Jpwins,
No one is bashing gtown...Or at least I dont consider it bashing because these statements arent based on "stories" Ive heard about gtown students or what others have told me about the school. I spent close to 12 months (in SMP) at the school with their first yr students last yr and as of now, Tacrum has spent almost 7 months with them, so these are opinions based on actual personal experience.....you spent a day interviewing there. Im not trying to invalidate your experience @ gtown, just give you some perspective. And again, these are OPINIONS...as its been said, opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one. Where I might see it as elitist/competitive, you might see it "fun and normal seeming." Like I said earlier, I personally dont think the choice will come down to academics bc theyre great at both schools (I think clinically GW is better) but more so what kind of atmosphere within the student body you are looking for. I think those who are accepted at both schools will definitely have a hard decision and I wish you luck in your decision from gtown.

i guess bash was the wrong word. i like hearing yours, and others', opinions and appreciate everyone sharing stories. i was just curious if more people had any positive things to say, as the majority of things i've come across are negative. but then again, that says something too. who knows! thanks for the luck and back at you..

jpwinsmcgee said:

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was being...um, flippant? Guess it came off wrong.

tacrum43 said:
Sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude. I was being...um, flippant? Guess it came off wrong.

tacrum (or anyone else that interviewed at gw), did they pass out a copy of previous match lists at your interview??

tacrum43 said:
Their was a copy of an article about their 2005 match and the results in the folder I got at the interview. It shows how many total matched in each specialty, and also how many at each hospital, but not which specialties at which hospitals. Would you like me to post it?

I can't believe I used the wrong kind of "their". That is my biggest pet peeve. It's like my whole life is a sham now...j/k

tacrum43 said:
Their was a copy of an article about their 2005 match and the results in the folder I got at the interview. It shows how many total matched in each specialty, and also how many at each hospital, but not which specialties at which hospitals. Would you like me to post it?

Oh no dont worry about it. I will just look for it in my interview folder...I didnt bother looking through it completely. thanks tho