H1 vs J1 for cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

127hours

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am applying for IM this year and in the process of making ROL. I have a question that I feel will help me in deciding the ROL. Since I am interested in cardiology, is it better to rank H1 Uni prog or J1 uni prog higher? I have 3 H1 sponsoring University programs, 6 J1 Uni progs and 2 H1 well-reputed community progs with in house fellowships.

I understand that it is easier to get Cardio on J1. But then you have to hit the bull's eye on J1. With H1 it is difficult but not impossible. Being on H1, I feel is safer. Also, I heard that one can convert H1 to J1 while applying and let programs know before hand abt it. This is all I know of.

If someone from you could throw light on this, it would be great! I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am applying for IM this year and in the process of making ROL. I have a question that I feel will help me in deciding the ROL. Since I am interested in cardiology, is it better to rank H1 Uni prog or J1 uni prog higher? I have 3 H1 sponsoring University programs, 6 J1 Uni progs and 2 H1 well-reputed community progs with in house fellowships.

I understand that it is easier to get Cardio on J1. But then you have to hit the bull's eye on J1. With H1 it is difficult but not impossible. Being on H1, I feel is safer. Also, I heard that one can convert H1 to J1 while applying and let programs know before hand abt it. This is all I know of.

If someone from you could throw light on this, it would be great! I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

I am applying for cardiology fellowship on H1B visa with a very competitive application. I have received emails from several PDs from the top programs that the reason I am not being invited for interview is because I am on H1B visa.
As for the switch. At John Hopkins and I think UCLA website they say they will not convert H1 to J1. It means it does not matter what your intentions are. whatever visa you are on at the time of your application thats what they will consider when reviewing your application.
Still, I think you should first rank the programs for what they are worth irrespective of the visa they are sponsoring. Then, if 2 programs are equivalent, rank the H1 program higher. If J1 program is MUCH better than the H1 counterpart then rank the J1 higher.
Thats what I will do but check with other people too..

I am applying for cardiology fellowship on H1B visa with a very competitive application. I have received emails from several PDs from the top programs that the reason I am not being invited for interview is because I am on H1B visa.
As for the switch. At John Hopkins and I think UCLA website they say they will not convert H1 to J1. It means it does not matter what your intentions are. whatever visa you are on at the time of your application thats what they will consider when reviewing your application.
Still, I think you should first rank the programs for what they are worth irrespective of the visa they are sponsoring. Then, if 2 programs are equivalent, rank the H1 program higher. If J1 program is MUCH better than the H1 counterpart then rank the J1 higher.
Thats what I will do but check with other people too..

Thanks for the input. I think what you said is also true. May I know where did you do residency from?