Habitat for humanity hours - Do they even know who I am?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am making sure I have everything ready for this up coming cycle and I have done about 37.5 hrs of Habitat volunteer over the past year. Now I am well aware that there is a minimal chance that they will even be called to verify this but here is my question.

Does Habitat for Humanity even know who I am? And more specifically have they been keeping track of everything I have done like I have been? I know there are some sign up things and you have an account when you sign up for build but if an Adcom calls to verify are they going to be able to look this up and back me up or will they just say we don't know, or we have no records?

tldr; too bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Adcom's don't have the time or resources to look up and call the contact for each of your activities. In fact, it's an anomaly if they call any of your references. However, you should still fill out the contact person at Habitat who you feel will best remember you (ie: a supervisor).

The only supervisor I ever had was the site manager and the team leaders. I don't know any of them personally nor do I have their numbers/way to get them. But I know what your saying it probably doesn't matter. I just like to play things safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only supervisor I ever had was the site manager and the team leaders. I don't know any of them personally nor do I have their numbers/way to get them. But I know what your saying it probably doesn't matter. I just like to play things safe.

I've had the same concerns as some of my activities (such as coaching a youth sports team) don't really have supervisors or people to contact. no clue what ill end up doing but I'd assume it won't really matter.

So I am making sure I have everything ready for this up coming cycle and I have done about 37.5 hrs of Habitat volunteer over the past year. Now I am well aware that there is a minimal chance that they will even be called to verify this but here is my question.

Does Habitat for Humanity even know who I am? And more specifically have they been keeping track of everything I have done like I have been? I know there are some sign up things and you have an account when you sign up for build but if an Adcom calls to verify are they going to be able to look this up and back me up or will they just say we don't know, or we have no records?

tldr; too bad.

I put a colleague from college who knew me and that I went on Habitat builds. If you don't have a supervisor or site manager then just put someone who can verify you were there and not a family member.

The only supervisor I ever had was the site manager and the team leaders. I don't know any of them personally nor do I have their numbers/way to get them.
Who called you to ask if you were available each time? Isn't there a record of calls in your phone? If it was too long ago for those old records to be available, use another person who knows of your involvement, perhaps a premed advisor, or co-team member who volunteered when you did. And there's always your mom or SO (as last choices).

Who called you to ask if you were available each time? Isn't there a record of calls in your phone? If it was too long ago for those old records to be available, use another person who knows of your involvement, perhaps a premed advisor, or co-team member who volunteered when you did. And there's always your mom or SO (as last choices).
No one called me to ask if I was available? You make an account online, sign up for a build, and appear when it says to. At least thats how it is here.

There should be a volunteer coordinator for your site/ chapter and this info should be readily available on the website. You also should have signed a waiver on at least your first day which they would keep on file. Did you go as an individual or as part of a group? Regardless, you should be in the volunteer system and anyone with access should be able to look you up and say "yup, looks like slopes signed up for volunteering." No one has to remember you by name, so many people go through that program, but it should be on record somewhere.

There should be a volunteer coordinator for your site/ chapter and this info should be readily available on the website. You also should have signed a waiver on at least your first day which they would keep on file. Did you go as an individual or as part of a group? Regardless, you should be in the volunteer system and anyone with access should be able to look you up and say "yup, looks like slopes signed up for volunteering." No one has to remember you by name, so many people go through that program, but it should be on record somewhere.
Yeah we did have all that, and I did sign a waiver when I arrived the first day. I guess my question was not so much who should I list as much as will they know who I am. I know they have record that I volunteer there, I guess I wanted to know if they keep track of how much. Anyways, I think I might just give them a call myself to see what they say. And recommend. Fwiw i volunteered by myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Giving them a call doesn't hurt. I know in my area, Habitat does it online too, but they also keep the paper records of when/how long you volunteer, especially as some volunteers are there for court-mandated community service, which, for obvious reasons, needs to be recorded.