had enough of mice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'd like to know if there is any point in trying for USMLE / match after a long gap doing research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being at harvard will helps but being 10 years without clinical experience is going to be tough pill to swallow by most residency programs. Who cares if you can do research if you are so rusty that you are a danger to patients. I actually think you would have difficulty getting a reasonable IM position because of this gap. I am not saying it is not an option to stay in the US but I am saying that your options are probably going to be limited.

That you did a year of internship will help. I'd talk to some program directors where you are interested and see if they would even consider you.

Look into the one year clinical programs in the United States called
"Transitional Year".

You can find these programs on the ACGME website www.acgme.org.
http://www.acgme.org/ads/public/

These programs are useful because they provide an orientation to the medical system in the US.
After that, you can try applying for residencies.
I'm not saying this is The Answer; it is one suggestion.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into the one year clinical programs in the United States called
"Transitional Year".

You can find these programs on the ACGME website www.acgme.org.
http://www.acgme.org/ads/public/

These programs are useful because they provide an orientation to the medical system in the US.
After that, you can try applying for residencies.
I'm not saying this is The Answer; it is one suggestion.
Good luck.
Transitional years are very competitive as they are almost always filled with top notch candidates looking for an easy year before going into Derm, Rads etc. A Prelim year is much more accessible for most.

Reactions: 1 user
At any rate, I think the OP (if he's still reading) is going to have an exceedingly hard time matching. Many, if not most programs have date of graduation limits: 5 years is the most common. That means they won't take grads mor than 5 years out, certainly not without clinical experience.

I don't want to say it's impossible but the chances are very slim. If you'd be able to secure a position in Germany Id suggest that's a better route for you.

Reactions: 1 user