Hahahaha Check Out This Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, oh man.

"psychiatry envy"
:laugh:

It's so true. I found myself liking everything the psychiatrists did more than the psychologists, and envied the shorter patient encounters and noticed they didn't have to pour on the fake-empathy like they expect psychotherapists to all day long to nauseating degrees.

I had a terminal case of that when I was in psychology grad school.
That's why I underwent the equivalent of a psychiatry-envy whipple. A complete restructuring.

Truth be told, there's nothing wrong with a bilateral discussion between the groups. I know I have questions about testing at times, and I'm sure they have questions about why the psychiatrists they work with do some of the things they do...be they basic med questions or whatever. I'd be more than willing to help with those types of questions. i.e. I've been treating this bipolar patient blah blah....and the psychiatrist has them on blah blah...but I'm not sure exactly why since blah blah...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anasazi23 said:
Truth be told, there's nothing wrong with a bilateral discussion between the groups. I know I have questions about testing at times, and I'm sure they have questions about why the psychiatrists they work with do some of the things they do...be they basic med questions or whatever. I'd be more than willing to help with those types of questions. i.e. I've been treating this bipolar patient blah blah....and the psychiatrist has them on blah blah...but I'm not sure exactly why since blah blah...

I think we should have teh discussions. I don't even care if they do turn into arguments and disagreements, talking to people who agree with your way of looking at things all the time doens't each you anything. Every once in awhile you might even learn something....I do vote that Poety take down the picture of her child so it makes it easier to say mean things to her without the guilt that comes wtih that mug looking on.

vote all you want - it'll be vetoed every time! :smuggrin: And your "desire" to say "mean" things to me says things about YOU don't ya think?

lol "psychiatry envy"..

I saw that post but I didn't feel like posting about it, I can't help but think about the last time I did that.

Check out my honorable mention in post #12 of that thread.

Solideliquid said:
lol "psychiatry envy"..

I saw that post but I didn't feel like posting about it, I can't help but think about the last time I did that.

Check out my honorable mention in post #12 of that thread.

Yeah! You're famous now solid :laugh:

Poety said:
Yeah! You're famous now solid :laugh:

ha ha infamous, more like it, the scourge of psychology. lol

Yes you are right! Now you have made it! Before, all you could hope to acheive is to give someone a distonic reaction, now you've made a splash on the field! The majority of you will become first rate practitioners I'm sure, your dedication is evidenced by the hours you wile away on these forums. But dedicated to what? Treating chronic "illneses" you don't, nor can ever hope to understand? You'll learn your craft and then get out there to your "shorter patient times" and your wonton prescribing of chronic meds. I don't know why you all brag about your shorter treatment regimens when the patient has to take your meds for the rest of their lives, until thier joints click and cogwheel, their speech slurs from their benzo addiction or lithium toxcicity, and I'm just talking about the kids. For the most part, all of you have lives of practitioners ahead of you, you don't search for anything more noble than your paycheck, I've read your posts. Have fun with that. Some day you'll set your sights a little higher than mediation titration, then you can join the psychologists, until then take care, try not to ge bored with the 30 med checks a day. Oh let me let you in on a little secret, 30% get better, 30% get worse, 30% stay the same, doesn't matter what treatment. Just don't fry anyones dopamine systems while you are at it.

Psyclops said:
Yes you are right! Now you have made it! Before, all you could hope to acheive is to give someone a distonic reaction, now you've made a splash on the field! The majority of you will become first rate practitioners I'm sure, your dedication is evidenced by the hours you wile away on these forums. But dedicated to what? Treating chronic "illneses" you don't, nor can ever hope to understand? You'll learn your craft and then get out there to your "shorter patient times" and your wonton prescribing of chronic meds. I don't know why you all brag about your shorter treatment regimens when the patient has to take your meds for the rest of their lives, until thier joints click and cogwheel, their speech slurs from their benzo addiction or lithium toxcicity, and I'm just talking about the kids. For the most part, all of you have lives of practitioners ahead of you, you don't search for anything more noble than your paycheck, I've read your posts. Have fun with that. Some day you'll set your sights a little higher than mediation titration, then you can join the psychologists, until then take care, try not to ge bored with the 30 med checks a day. Oh let me let you in on a little secret, 30% get better, 30% get worse, 30% stay the same, doesn't matter what treatment. Just don't fry anyones dopamine systems while you are at it.

Impression:
Axis I: Psychiatry Envy
Axis II: Narcissistic-type
Axis III: Deferred
Axis IV: Poor social support, severe stress involving career choices; regrets
Axis V: 60

Plan:
Xanax 1mg QD
Sent medical school brochures

Your BILL is in the mail. $235 for first time patients.

Solideliquid said:
Impression:
Axis I: Psychiatry Envy
Axis II: Narcissistic-type
Axis III: Deferred
Axis IV: Poor social support, severe stress involving career choices; regrets
Axis V: 60

Plan:
Xanax 1mg QD
Sent medical school brochures

Your BILL is in the mail. $235 for first time patients.

I disagree with your axis I diagnosis. Having coined the term I would know, it is reserved for psychologists pursuing RxP. Axis II is dead on. Axis V is also off, but it's not your fault. I would put it around 20 for listentning to the voices in my head that tell me to take any kind of moral high ground on these posts. If you could give me script for Xanax 1mg, please make it QID. :thumbup:

Psyclops said:
I disagree with your axis I diagnosis. Having coined the term I would know, it is reserved for psychologists pursuing RxP. Axis II is dead on. Axis V is also off, but it's not your fault. I would put it around 20 for listentning to the voices in my head that tell me to take any kind of moral high ground on these posts. If you could give me script for Xanax 1mg, please make it QID. :thumbup:

Argue with my Dx when you have an MD, until then balk to me about statistics testing or whatever.

I can argue with your entire categorical system of diagnosis! The DSM is like a preschoolers guide to psychopathology: if they have a square then they go into the square hole diagnosis! Any BA/BS can diagnose just about as good as an MD. I've seen it in many a clinical setting. Not to mention, your diagnosis doesn't comunicate much of anything between clinicians. Takes some stats, learn about science, and tehn I will explain what a dimensional model is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psyclops said:
I can argue with your entire categorical system of diagnosis! The DSM is like a preschoolers guide to psychopathology: if they have a square then they go into the square hole diagnosis! Any BA/BS can diagnose just about as good as an MD. I've seen it in many a clinical setting. Not to mention, your diagnosis doesn't comunicate much of anything between clinicians. Takes some stats, learn about science, and tehn I will explain what a dimensional model is.

Since when could a BA/BS diagnose anything?

Psyclops said:

How much ya wanna bet this is that John White character? tsk tsk John - in disguise yet again? Or.... could be one of those that went into psychology because he's mad at his psychiatrist for giving him drugs when he was young... hmmmm

BTW - its dYstonic not dIstonic pffffft

Ohhh and, what WILL you do when they find how to treat the biological basis to all these mental illnesses and your intense "psychotherapy" will be reserved for rich, bored housewives that want to whine to someone 3x week?

You can try to bash me all you want - but I've said repeatedly I'm not into that droned out psychotherapy - I PREFER med checks, and persistently mentally ill/developmentally challenged folks so for me, its NO BOTHER!

And on a last note - your inferiority complex is raging. Take it down a notch. :eek:

Psyclops said:

If that's you're view of the scope of Psychiatry, then it's clear that you know very little about it. My past week has included:

-Starting patients on buprenorphine (short-term) to treat their heroin addiction (can't do that as a psychologist)
-Diagnosing with someone billed as "psychotic" by the ED with temporal lobe epilepsy, getting them started on an AED, essentially curing them of their "psychosis" (probably couldn't have done that without medical training)
-Diagnosing a paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis induced catatonia in another pt billed as "psychotic" by the primary medical team. Again, essentially cured with short term IV benzos. Since the medicine team couldn't make that diagnosis, I'm guessing a psychologist might find it just a little bit outside their expertise.
-Multiple other less complicated diagnoses in patients with medical comorbidity in the general hospital.
-Seeing my psychopharm clinic patients (mostly referred to me by psychologists who feel that "the patient could benefit form psychopharm eval and intervention").
-AND, perhaps most enjoyable, seeing my regular caseload of weekly psychotherapy patients (combining psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, and supportive psychotherapy), which you can do as a psychologist... but I get to write for meds (both short and long term).

All in all, feels very rewarding. Definitely feels like I'm making a difference, both short- and long-term. Definitely feels like if I ever got bored doing one thing in practice, I have a bunch of different things I could mix in for some variety. Definitely happy with my job, couldn't imagine doign anything else. Definitely not doing it just for the money... would've skipped medicine altogether and gone into finance.

Wow. For my own edification, how did you diagnose a paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis induced catatonia?

And treating with IV benzos? Es muy interesante.

princebargain said:
Wow. For my own edification, how did you diagnose a paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis induced catatonia?

And treating with IV benzos? Es muy interesante.

I hate giving pt specifics on the internet, but here's the (extremely) pared down version:

Late middle aged woman with pre-existing CA dx and no prior psych history, presents with MS changes over past month. Worked up for mets, etc. No clear cause of MS changes, primary team decide she's "psychotic" (as always), and consult us. On exam, classic presentation of catatonia... waxy, gegenhalten, mitgehen, the whole 9 yards. In absence of pre-existing mental illness, and low likelihood of such late onset primary psychosis, paraneoplastic process - specifically limbic encephalitis - most likely (CSF antibodies pending - take weeks to come back). Tx for catatonia - IV benzos.

Poety-

Check out the thread in the psychology forum, you just got an honorable mention too!

Psyclops said:

Are you a scientologist?
trigger.gif

Can't we all just get along?

Hurricane said:
Can't we all just get along?

Exactly. Only unilateral attacks are allowed! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

:thumbup:
Doc Samson said:
If that's you're view of the scope of Psychiatry, then it's clear that you know very little about it. My past week has included:

-Starting patients on buprenorphine (short-term) to treat their heroin addiction (can't do that as a psychologist)
-Diagnosing with someone billed as "psychotic" by the ED with temporal lobe epilepsy, getting them started on an AED, essentially curing them of their "psychosis" (probably couldn't have done that without medical training)
-Diagnosing a paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis induced catatonia in another pt billed as "psychotic" by the primary medical team. Again, essentially cured with short term IV benzos. Since the medicine team couldn't make that diagnosis, I'm guessing a psychologist might find it just a little bit outside their expertise.
-Multiple other less complicated diagnoses in patients with medical comorbidity in the general hospital.
-Seeing my psychopharm clinic patients (mostly referred to me by psychologists who feel that "the patient could benefit form psychopharm eval and intervention").
-AND, perhaps most enjoyable, seeing my regular caseload of weekly psychotherapy patients (combining psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, and supportive psychotherapy), which you can do as a psychologist... but I get to write for meds (both short and long term).

All in all, feels very rewarding. Definitely feels like I'm making a difference, both short- and long-term. Definitely feels like if I ever got bored doing one thing in practice, I have a bunch of different things I could mix in for some variety. Definitely happy with my job, couldn't imagine doign anything else. Definitely not doing it just for the money... would've skipped medicine altogether and gone into finance.

woooo hooooo