MD Halp. Can above-average ECs outweigh average GPA/MCAT for top tiers? (cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.70, MCAT 35)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AirNomad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on your success and finding your passions. I'm no expert, but your application looks pretty solid. Your GPA is fine, especially considering that it was freshman year 1st semester that brought you down. I would not exclude any schools due to a 3.7. MCAT is pretty solid as well. Invest in the MSAR to help pick schools if you haven't already.

Your ECs and research and volunteering look fantastic. Do you also have some hobbies/non-academic interests that you have as well? How do you de-stress etc...

Good luck!

Congrats on your success and finding your passions. I'm no expert, but your application looks pretty solid. Your GPA is fine, especially considering that it was freshman year 1st semester that brought you down. I would not exclude any schools due to a 3.7. MCAT is pretty solid as well. Invest in the MSAR to help pick schools if you haven't already.

Your ECs and research and volunteering look fantastic. Do you also have some hobbies/non-academic interests that you have as well? How do you de-stress etc...

Good luck!

Thank you, Heplayer92! I really appreciate your input and advice. And congratulations on your acceptance!

Yes, I do have a couple of hobbies/non-academic interests, but they're fairly unique so I left them out for anonymity.

Should I point out that GPA explanation explicitly in my personal statement or should I assume AdComs will notice that for themselves when reviewing my transcript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Heplayer92! I really appreciate your input and advice. And congratulations on your acceptance!

Yes, I do have a couple of hobbies/non-academic interests, but they're fairly unique so I left them out for anonymity.

Should I point out that GPA explanation explicitly in my personal statement or should I assume AdComs will notice that for themselves when reviewing my transcript?

I don't do med school admissions, but I wouldn't waste the space in your personal statement. They can read a transcript, and needing to adjust to college coursework is not uncommon. Better to write about... awesomer stuff.

I don't do med school admissions, but I wouldn't waste the space in your personal statement. They can read a transcript, and needing to adjust to college coursework is not uncommon. Better to write about... awesomer stuff.

That's a very good point, 22031 Alum. Thank you!

Definitely take the time to research individual schools and target those that share your values regardless of their stats (look at Tulane, Columbia, BU, Rochester, SLU, etc.). I suspect that"fit" is perhaps more highly weighted in choosing applicants than any other factor. You seem like a really well-rounded candidate, and I suspect you will have at least several options if you choose your schools wisely (and apply early!!)

Also, did you get fired from the research position for sexual harassment, or just asked to leave? Could be a red flag.

Also, just kidding.

Definitely take the time to research individual schools and target those that share your values regardless of their stats (look at Tulane, Columbia, BU, Rochester, SLU, etc.). I suspect that"fit" is perhaps more highly weighted in choosing applicants than any other factor. You seem like a really well-rounded candidate, and I suspect you will have at least several options if you choose your schools wisely (and apply early!!)

Also, did you get fired from the research position for sexual harassment, or just asked to leave? Could be a red flag.

Also, just kidding.

Hahaha, I laughed out loud when reading that last bit. Thanks, Old&InTheWay! What is the best way to evaluate the values of different my programs? The MSAR will help with stats, but to assess "fits," would I just look at websites and mission statements?

Hahaha, I laughed out loud when reading that last bit. Thanks, Old&InTheWay! What is the best way to evaluate the values of different my programs? The MSAR will help with stats, but to assess "fits," would I just look at websites and mission statements?

Websites and mission statements are where I looked when I applied. You can also do some googling to find schools that have programs that involve refugees.

I'd probably shoot for some top 25 schools for sure. I don't think your gpa/mcat would bar you from too many places-I think you just need to not be a tool during interviews.

If it were me, I may apply to like 20-25 schools with 10-15 of them being top tier schools, and the remaining 10 as mid tier schools. Try to find a place you want to live, that'd be my advice. You have 4 years to kinda figure out a new place you want to be: NYC? DC? Boston? Texas?

Consider cost of living too, if parents aren't footing the bill as well.

You're in striking distance, aim high!

Hello everyone! I'm a student who has a passion for journalism, public speaking, and humanitarian advocacy/relief (with a soft spot for refugee populations). As a result, I have a focused and dedicated arsenal of extracurriculars. My dream schools are Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, and JHU—but my GPAs and MCAT are well below their averages.

...Which brings me to these questions:
1. What are my shots at the aforementioned three top-tier schools? (Please do tell me if I haven't a chance and should get my head out of the clouds.)
2. Are there any other top-tiers which might be more better suited to my stats?
3. I know my safety schools, but which mid-tier schools should I consider?
4. Are there any specific areas in my application in which I'm lacking and should improve before applying (e.g. more clinical needed)?

Thank you in advance! I'm not an expert like you guys so I really appreciate your insights. :)

GENERAL:
Asian (Born in India)
Female
Nebraska Resident
Low-Tier Undergraduate University
Majoring in Neuroscience
4 Years of Undergrad + 1 Year for AMCAS Application/Work

STATS:
cGPA: 3.75 (largely a result of freshman fall semester cGPA of 3.00)
sGPA: 3.70 (largely a result of freshman fall semester sGPA of 2.00)
MCAT: 35

LEADERSHIP AND JOBS:
Founder and Executive Director of a Non-Profit Refugee Health Clinic
Editor-in-Chief of University Newspaper
Editor of Biomedical Sciences at an International, Undergraduate Scientific Journal
Consultant at University Writing Center
Writing Intern at Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders)

RESEARCH:
First Lab | 1.5 years, 1000 hours; left due to sexual harassment
5 co-authored manuscripts, 2 conference presentations (1 poster, 1 oral)
Second Lab | 1 year, 300 hours
1 primary-authored manuscript

CLINICAL VOLUNTEER AND WORK:
Clinical Assistant at a Hospital in India | 3 months, 800 hours
Clinical Assistant at my Non-Profit Refugee Health Clinic | 1 year, 200 hours

NON-CLINICAL VOLUNTEER AND WORK:
Head Event Coach at a High School Speech and Debate Team | 4 years, 1000 hours
Mentor at a Local, Title I Elementary School | 3 years, 200 hours

SHADOWING:
Two Subspecialities | 200 hours