Hammering down a timeline for re-app; help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white plum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have used the search function and found a wide array of solutions that could apply, so I created a plan and wanted some specific feedback! I would appreciate it if you took a look!

Some information about my applicant profile:
Applied widely last cycle to both MD and DO programs (~20 schools, focusing on those with noted holistic app review), MD c/sGPA 3.1/2.7 and DO c/sGPA 3.4/3.0. MCAT was a pretty gross 26 (7PS/11VR/8BS). I had retaken the MCAT late after bombing with a 25 (6PS/11VR/8BS). Safe to say I was beyond burnt out but didn't want to admit it. App wasn't complete until September because I was delusional and thought I could ~*redeem~* myself with a retaken MCAT when I should've just withdrew earlier on and waited. Lesson learned and now trying to stay positive while moving forward! Pretty solid/decent ECs; currently in the pediatric behavioral health field in a clinical setting (have been for 2+ years).

No IIs yet, but have yet to hear from 2 more schools. Tried emailing/calling the schools I was rejected from for some feedback and half of them told me to contact them when I was sure I wasn't getting in anywhere this year, and the other half said my GPA needed improvement (knew that one, just glad it wasn't my ECs or letters or anything else!) Looking at reapplying, and have come up with a plan:

Commit to DO and do a DIY post-bacc at a local community college to retake Cs in prereqs (at least) plus any additional course suggestions you guys might have. (I got my BS in Bio so I have taken a wide variety of science courses.) Retake MCAT in new format in May 2016; look into formal prep programs for it (did not self-prep adequately so I want to actually make a change in the way I prep for it next).

Is 1/1.5 years enough time to make a hard dent in my GPA? If it is, would I register for classes starting this summer/fall, and apply next June? Will a DIY post-bacc suffice in place of a formal SMP? Funds are of concern, and I also want to be as efficient as possible with time. I currently work PT (but did so all throughout college so I'm accustomed to it).

I probably know the answer to this one, but is a post-bacc totally necessary? Is a strong MCAT retake alone a big enough change to strengthen my app (assuming I apply as early as possible this time around)?

Also slightly off-topic, but do we have to get a completely new set of LORs? Thinking about has me in a cold sweat. I did read that we need at least one new one but I wanted to make sure.

[MD]
UofC Pritzker
NYMC
Rush
UC Davis
MSU
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Ohio State
Loyola
Feinberg
SIU
UofI
Albany

[DO]
CCOM
MU-COM
NOVA
ATSU-SOMA
KCUMB
WesternU

THANK YOU ALL! I hope you're having a good week. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you applied to schools out of your range given your gpa and MCAT. You should apply to a lot of DO schools including some of the newer schools who are more forgiving on GPA and MCAT. Also you do not necessarily need new LORs but my advisor recommended that you have most or all of your letter writers update your letter. Even if that means just using the same letter but changing the date. I can't give you much advice on GPA but assuming you have some C grades I would rather retake those than pursue a post bacc. It might be easier to raise your GPA.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Dr. Death. I shot for schools that were near me first, then focused on metrics. Thanks for the insight on letters!

I think I've basically decided to take a year to do a DIY post-bacc. I'll probably enroll in the summer and fall semesters and re-take Cs, and then start preparing for the MCAT in the spring.

Any other opinions are very welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are taking the right path. Doing a certificate postbac program is a waste of money for DO schools (cause there is grade replacement). I just started my DIY postbac this spring and will continue doing retakes til next year spring. I'm also interested in a formal Mcat prep course (I like the structure and accountability). If you start your DIY postbac in the summer/fall, how many courses do you plan on taking?
Thanks! Nice to hear I'm in good company :) I'm not totally sure yet. My gut is telling me 2-3 classes because I'm still working part-time and I know class availability will have a big impact on how much I can fit in my schedule successfully. How many classes are you taking now/plan on taking? And did you follow a set scheme for which classes to take first?

Ah cool! Will you be taking the MCAT Summer 2016 then?

I wish you best of luck. Yep, I'm applying Summer '16. Trying to take my time and get my **** together before I apply, unlike this past cycle. lol We can do it!!

This is wise. Your numbers are not competitive for any MD school. Are you aware that the avg MCAT for U Chicago is around 37-8, and GPA is up around 3.8+?.
Most importantly: retake all F/D/C science coursework.

Commit to DO and do a DIY post-bacc at a local community college to retake Cs in prereqs (at least) plus any additional course suggestions you guys might have. (I got my BS in Bio so I have taken a wide variety of science courses.) Retake MCAT in new format in May 2016; look into formal prep programs for it (did not self-prep adequately so I want to actually make a change in the way I prep for it next).

Yes, especially if you ace everything.
Is 1/1.5 years enough time to make a hard dent in my GPA?

Yes and yes.

If it is, would I register for classes starting this summer/fall, and apply next June? Will a DIY post-bacc suffice in place of a formal SMP?

No for MD schools, and yes for many DO schools.
I probably know the answer to this one, but is a post-bacc totally necessary? Is a strong MCAT retake alone a big enough change to strengthen my app (assuming I apply as early as possible this time around)?

No
Also slightly off-topic, but do we have to get a completely new set of LORs? Thinking about has me in a cold sweat. I did read that we need at least one new one but I wanted to make sure.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GORO!!! I am giddy right now!!

Goro said:
Are you aware that the avg MCAT for U Chicago is around 37-8, and GPA is up around 3.8+?
Definitely aware that UIC, Feinberg, and Rush (most notably) were definitely out of my league! Call it naive but I wanted to apply to all in-state schools before focusing more on better fit numbers-wise.

Can't thank you enough! Do you think my DO school list is ok? May make a separate post about it in the DO forum. CCOM is my #1; I shadowed an amazing alum and she wrote me a strong LOR.