Hampton Medical Sciences Program 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daj2101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably a little early but is anyone else planning on applying to this program:clap::clap::clap:
Also I cant find this information on the website but is their a minimum MCAT score and how competitive is it to get into this program

Members don't see this ad.

There is no minimum MCAT score required (source). I'm not really sure how competitive it is to get in, but each class has around 20 students, give or take a few.

Does anyone know how rigid the 2.5 requirement is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying for 2015, I just have to take my MCAT in a few weeks.

I'll be applying here as well. just took the MCAT last week. will be submitting once scores come in.

I mailed my application and now it seems like it was a bad idea. Not really sure what the status of my application is and I've just been sending things to them hoping they receive it.

I mailed my application and now it seems like it was a bad idea. Not really sure what the status of my application is and I've just been sending things to them hoping they receive it.

The director does not have an assistant this semester, so it may take a while to get a notification that he has received your application. You may also receive an online interview at that time.

The director does not have an assistant this semester, so it may take a while to get a notification that he has received your application. You may also receive an online interview at that time.

My application isn't complete but I wanted to know the status of what they've received so far. Thankfully, they sent me an update a couple of days ago by e-mail.

Only thing I need now are my my LORs. Which of course is taking forever.

When are online interviews usually scheduled?

My application isn't complete but I wanted to know the status of what they've received so far. Thankfully, they sent me an update a couple of days ago by e-mail.

Only thing I need now are my my LORs. Which of course is taking forever.

When are online interviews usually scheduled?

It's more of a questionnaire than an interview. You will receive a document via email containing the questions and a pre-reqs checklist that needs to be completed and submitted within 24 hours.

It's more of a questionnaire than an interview. You will receive a document via email containing the questions and a pre-reqs checklist that needs to be completed and submitted within 24 hours.

Okay thanks.

Are you a former MSP student?

When will the current class be completely filled? June?

Okay thanks.

Are you a former MSP student?

When will the current class be completely filled? June?

I am currently in my first year of the program. I'm not completely sure when the class will be filled. I received my acceptance in the middle of June, and some of my classmates received their acceptances later than I did. One student was added after classes had already started.

Yea...me too. Hopefully they will let us know soon :)

I am currently in my first year of the program. I'm not completely sure when the class will be filled. I received my acceptance in the middle of June, and some of my classmates received their acceptances later than I did. One student was added after classes had already started.

Do you know the average amount of people that apply per term? Also what is the average gpa? Everytime I call to get information, I reach the voicemail.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know the average amount of people that apply per term? Also what is the average gpa? Everytime I call to get information, I reach the voicemail.
I'm not sure how many people apply or what the average GPA is, but the minimum is 2.5. I can only suggest that you try to call the office between 2 and 4 pm Monday through Friday. Which phone number are you using?

I'm not sure how many people apply or what the average GPA is, but the minimum is 2.5. I can only suggest that you try to call the office between 2 and 4 pm Monday through Friday. Which phone number are you using?

Yea I'm going to try doing that. I call the number listed on their site, and get transferred. But yea i'm just worry that my gpa is going to be below average. I have a 2.88cgpa :(

Yea I'm going to try doing that. I call the number listed on their site, and get transferred. But yea i'm just worry that my gpa is going to be below average. I have a 2.88cgpa :(
The reason I asked is because the number at the bottom of the page is the main number for the university. The direct number is 757-727-5795. You shouldn't get transferred if you're calling that number. I think your GPA will be fine as long as it's above 2.5.

So for those who applied have yall heard anything yet, also does anyone knows if they do rolling admissions or do they just wait until the deadline to send out notifications

So for those who applied have yall heard anything yet, also does anyone knows if they do rolling admissions or do they just wait until the deadline to send out notifications

The last update I received was February 18th about what materials I was missing and since then I've sent in everything but haven't heard back yet.

I recently got accepted into this program and was wondering if a current student could tell me more about the day to day life? This is the only program I've heard back from but I'm trying to compare different programs.

Thanks

I recently got accepted into this program and was wondering if a current student could tell me more about the day to day life? This is the only program I've heard back from but I'm trying to compare different programs.

Thanks

how long did you wait after sending in your online interview before you heard something back from them? I'm tempted to call, but I dont want to bug them...

also, I remember seeing one of the old threads about this program and a girl who was currently in the program gave some really good insight into the program and how it impacted her.

how long did you wait after sending in your online interview before you heard something back from them? I'm tempted to call, but I dont want to bug them...

also, I remember seeing one of the old threads about this program and a girl who was currently in the program gave some really good insight into the program and how it impacted her.

Hey so I sent in my online interview on March 7th and got the acceptance email on March 27th, so basically 3 weeks turn around.

Wow three weeks! I recently submitted my online interview but I also got accepted into Teach For America I would rather do the program at Hampton but my TFA acceptance deadline is soon. I don't want to reject TFA and then get rejected by Hampton ugh I'm not sure what I should do!

For anyone who has done this program before, is the only assistantship available the RA position or are there other opportunities on campus that can help defer the cost of tuition (and therefore lowering the amount of loans I have to take out)?

The Graduate College periodically have some available that will cover a percentage of tuition. If you are interested in that you should contact the Graduate College and speak with Kristie Cansler. However, the assistantships through the Dean of Men/Women are usually the best bet because they cover 9 hours of tuition a semester, room and board, and a monthly stipend.

I was accepted and applied for the dean of women assistantship! Anyone know anyone who has done it before?

The Graduate College periodically have some available that will cover a percentage of tuition. If you are interested in that you should contact the Graduate College and speak with Kristie Cansler. However, the assistantships through the Dean of Men/Women are usually the best bet because they cover 9 hours of tuition a semester, room and board, and a monthly stipend.
Ok thanks! And for the assistantships you live in the dorms right? Are they apartment style (washer/dryer, kitchen and bathroom) or is everything communal?

Yep you live in the dorms. Some are semi-apartment stylish and some are communal...so you may or may not get your own bathroom, it all depends on where they place you. I don't think any of the GA rooms have a kitchen. None have a washer and dryer.

Last edited:
Is there group on Facebook or anything for recently accepted students or people already in the program? It would be easier to get questions answered that way

Is there group on Facebook or anything for recently accepted students or people already in the program? It would be easier to get questions answered that way

There is a Facebook group for the program. You should receive an invitation to join sometime over the summer.

Feel free to PM if yall have questions

Are you a current student in the MS program ? if so, how big is your class ?