Handling multiple books at once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newheart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good/bad idea to review material from more than one book at once (Kaplan/Berkeley at same time for the same topics)? Or go do one set first?

Also, I have Berkeley and Examkrackers materials. For a first time studying, is one recommended over the other to do first?

Also, if there is a study schedule thread, please link for me. I'm new to this forum!

Members don't see this ad.

Stick to one source, don't overwhelm yourself. Just create your own plan and stick to it. Do an AAMC exam after your content review to see where you stand. Best of luck!

Ok! Also, I realized that there are new Kaplan and PR sets for 2015 MCAT including biochem, psych, and critical analysis. Getting one of these new sets is probably a good idea. Any recommendations regarding Kaplan and PR?

I am using EK for content and all AAMC material (self assessments, all practice exams) for passages and application of concepts. My thought is that the best indicator of your ability will come from the test writers themselves. Also, I truly believe the key to doing well is by UNDERSTANDING the rationale that AAMC is looking for when reviewing your wrong answers. To me, using PR, Kaplan, TBR etc for practice problems/passages is inefficient b/c no matter what anyone says, they are not the test writers and therefore do not know how AAMC is thinking when writing the exam and thus cannot provide accurate rationale as to why an answer is correct or incorrect (unless its a purely objective problem). Find what works for you, but study smarter, not harder, and don't believe all the premeds on SDN who think that the more resources they use that the better they will score...that is not true. You truly need to find a way to understand the testwriter's approach to developing answer choices and to understand the reasoning as to why an answer choice is what it is in the eyes of the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say only if your struggling in one topic then maybe look into a different book for more clarity. Stick to TPR very good across the board.

Is it a good/bad idea to review material from more than one book at once (Kaplan/Berkeley at same time for the same topics)? Or go do one set first?

Also, I have Berkeley and Examkrackers materials. For a first time studying, is one recommended over the other to do first?

Also, if there is a study schedule thread, please link for me. I'm new to this forum!

I tried to do that and it proved to be very time consuming. So, I am sticking to one source - TPR. If there is something I am really having trouble with, I either look it up online or in a textbook. I am also watching Chad's videos on the topic I have planned for that particular day. So, I watch a video, and then go through the chapter. It helps to refresh the material before reading.

Here is the link for the popular SN2ed's study schedule:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

I hope that link works because I'm on my phone.

The schedule integrates BR and EK, but mostly BR and it can be very time consuming. I basically followed that schedule but I also added TPRH because I was a little rusty on my pre-reqs. It can be helpful to have a different perspective or approach to particular concepts that you might struggle with.