Hanging w/ Gas Docs while on Surgery rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering...as part of our senior year we have to do a two weeker "senior surg" rotation (yes, this is in addition to our 3rd yr surg rotation). and yes this is mandatory.

But...I'm just wondering. Obviously, I'm more interested in what goes on on the other side of the 'ether shield'. I would really like to get more exposure to the anesth aspect in addition to the anes rotation I'll be doing formally later on in the year. So...any good strategies of how to mk this possible and completely not mk the surgeons feel like i'm blowing them off ? :cool:

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If u only have to pass, it is easier. What I do is help with moving and induction, maybe do an extra IV. If someone says something, I can say I am helping move the case along- I can't do anything else at that time. When I was on my required surgery 2 weeker, I pretty much did anesthesia for a day as I had just told the surgeon (who i wrote a paper with ) that I was gonna do anesthesia. The anesthesia resident asked to fill out my evel 1/2way thru the day and I had to tell him I wasn't on his rotation. I had been turning over the room and everything.

It is not worth the risks over all though. If you are just helpful to anesthesia before and after, they will remember you come rank list time!

ThinkFast007 said:
Just wondering...as part of our senior year we have to do a two weeker "senior surg" rotation (yes, this is in addition to our 3rd yr surg rotation). and yes this is mandatory.

But...I'm just wondering. Obviously, I'm more interested in what goes on on the other side of the 'ether shield'. I would really like to get more exposure to the anesth aspect in addition to the anes rotation I'll be doing formally later on in the year. So...any good strategies of how to mk this possible and completely not mk the surgeons feel like i'm blowing them off ? :cool:

thanks

Not worth the potential usurp sequalae in my opinion, Think. Do as the Romans do when you're in Rome. Don't risk offending the surgeons by acting more interested in the other side of the Blood Brain Barrier, which could potentially backfire. You've got plenty of time to become the next John Tinker/Michael Roizen/Alan Kaye.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh..

i forgot to add. This particular hosp where i'll be rotating through for my senior surg elective is a community hosp and doesnt have a Anesthesia program. The anesthesiology programs I plan on applying to arent even in teh same state as where I'm doing this surg rotation.

But hey Dre, awesome idea. I think this is a pass/fail thing. Even if it isnt, I think it's way to late anyways for it to appear in my transcript??? I got a H in my junior yr surg rotation, so this senior yr one I dont think will mk much of a difference if i just pass it. I just wanted a 'suave' way to facilitate this.

thanks guys!

jetproppilot said:
Not worth the potential usurp sequalae in my opinion, Think. Do as the Romans do when you're in Rome. Don't risk offending the surgeons by acting more interested in the other side of the Blood Brain Barrier, which could potentially backfire. You've got plenty of time to become the next John Tinker/Michael Roizen/Alan Kaye.

Couldn't agree more.

jetproppilot said:

In lay-terminology that is called $hitting where you eat! I would strongly suggest that you avoid taking a dump where you may potentially partake of a meal.

:laugh:

Be patient young grasshopper...your time will come!