Hannibal Lecter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GangaMaster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hannibal Lecter makes me want to become a psychiatrist who motivated you?

Members don't see this ad.

As a role model or his psychopathology?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Frasier & Niles Crane

Reactions: 1 users
psych attending at an inpatient unit during 3rd year

All of your heroes motivated me to specifically stay away from psychiatry.

Except that dude's dad. It just wouldn't be right to say that.

I'm just joshing ya. Actually it's my dad

But seriously, has to be Irvin Yalom

My psychology major and experiences as a career advisor in undergrad.

If we're talking about figureheads, I'd say a cross between Dr. Crusher and Deanna Troi from Star Trek TNG. (Yes, I'm a Trekkie -- *hangs head in shame)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Phil-a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. He lost his license in TX for allegedly having sex with a patient and then hiring her as an employee.
Harley Quinn, the most unrealistic presentation of a psychiatrist I've ever seen. Someone who is an attending psychiatrist is likely bright, out of shape, not a spring chicken, and if anything, likely have some very geeky/nerd qualities.

What we have in HQ is someone who is young, in-shape, and ditzy. She fell in love with the Joker immediately upon analyzing him. You'd expect this behavior more out of someone with an abusive childhood, poor education, low self-esteem, and strong antisocial and borderline traits.

Leo Marvin, Charles Krauthammer and Tobias Fünke.

Dr. Phil-a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. He lost his license in TX for allegedly having sex with a patient and then hiring her as an employee.

I don't think he lost his license. Or if he did, it was completely reinstated. Because according to Wikipedia(yeah I know) he kept an active license in texas all the way until 2006 when he decided to retire it.

Jude Law in Side Effects

also, all female psych attendings look like Catherine Zeta-Jones

The Dr. Phil TX license data on Wikipedia is different than it was months ago. Other sources on the Internet still have the story that was on Wikipedia. That story is that he allegedly had sex with a client/patient, and then hired that same person to work for him in his private practice. Phil McGraw did admit to hiring a former client/patient, but denied ever having sex with her. An investigation was not able to prove or disprove if he had sex with her, but the TX Board of Psychologists did cite his relationship with this woman as inappropriate because he was her boss and she did receive therapy from him.

The Board required that he undergo an ethics training class to have his license reinstated (that at that time was inactivated due to the boundary violations), but he never did so. At that time he was already making good money in other ventures and decided to let his license fold. The current Wikipedia entry has his current status as "retired" but previous versions stated (with sources attached) that he was required to undergo an ethics class or his license would not be given back to him. IMHO it's a matter of semantics of simply stating it to be "retired" if the story I mentioned is true. (Is it? This data was on multiple sources at least at one point several months ago).

If you look up Phil McGraw and add the words "license" you'll see plenty of hits showing what I mentioned.

This particular website shows earlier revisions from Wikipedia before they were altered, and mentions the data I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:phil_McGraw/Archive_2

Edited because of some minor grammar issues but the actual thought content was not changed.

Last edited:
im afraid i just blue myself. absolutely it's got to be tobias all the way

Your dad is a psychiatrist?

No he's a psychologist actually, but he's the reason why I'm interested in mental health. And he's always encouraged me to become a psychiatrist over a psychologist.