Harassed by a customer over OTC cholesterol medication...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Said patient reported Total Cholesterol slightly above 300, but doesn't want to take an evil pharmaceutical product (statin) and wanted to try something "natural" first.

She brought Omega Red to the counter and I tried telling her it is mainly used for high Triglycerides (above 500) and her doctor would have probably put her on something if her TG's were really that high and how it can even increase LDL, the bad cholesterol (I know Lovaza can). Then I tried telling her it's no better than fish oils, just doesn't have the terrible taste as much, but she was convinced omega red is a superior product than the regular fish oil... um ok...

Then I brought up Niacin, but in school I learned OTC flush-free niacin is ineffective and slo-niacin is the worst on your liver and the poor tolerability regardless due to the flushing and how Niaspan would be her best choice, but alas that's an rx so I was trying to get her into bed with big pharma. The new studies show statins to be the most beneficial and adding niacin onto a statin didn't show much additional clinical benefit so what exactly do you other pharmD's recommend for OTC cholesterol? Red yeast rice lol? o_O

Members don't see this ad.

If they insist on avoiding statins, then I would advise red yeast rice and an appointment with a dietician.

Reactions: 1 user
Outside of fish oil, I don't recommend anything more than diet and exercise. Anyway, red yeast rice=lovastatin. If a person wants to be stubborn, there is nothing you can do. It is the individual's choice and he/she will reap the results.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In this world where information is available at the touch of a button in a tiny device that can fit inside your pants pocket, why would you worry that you cannot convince someone to believe or think a certain way?

Does anyone recommend fish oil or niacin for anything?

If they insist on avoiding statins, then I would advise red yeast rice and an appointment with a dietician.

Has lovastatin/monacolin been successfully eliminated from all OTC red yeast rice supplements?

Has lovastatin/monacolin been successfully eliminated from all OTC red yeast rice supplements?
In large amounts, yes. There may be small amounts, but the amount cannot be listed on the label.

if they want your recommendation then statins are the best choice. if they want to self treat, then they should follow their fixed therapy, but your recommendation is just that. LDL of 300 is pretty high. he's just waiting for a heart attack. u have to understand that your recommendation is independent of the patient's desired treatment. it is what u think is best, not what the patient thinks is best. they want your recommendation.

I wonder if cholesterol testing will ever catch on in the retail setting

Is Life Insurance a natural product?