Hard decision!! Need help! (Louisiana residents especially)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeethLikeGodsShoeshine

He sparkles, shimmers, shines
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am at a turning point here in my path to medical education and having a tough time with a decision k have to make. I am currently finishing up an Associate science nursing degree and will be going to take medical prerequisites + higher division science courses the following semester after I graduate.
There are two colleges in which I could finish my bachelors and I am having a really tough time figuring out which one will benefit me the most. My state university (lsu) would allow me to finish a degree in 3 years full time with all of the graduation requirements. The bonus to LSU is it would be cheaper it would allow me to pursue a major I would enjoy learning about ( anthropology). The other option is a small local private catholic college called Our Lady of the Lake. I just found out they have a health sciences major which would allow me to finish in 2 years. This school is more expensive and I cannot find any data about how good of a school it is for pre medical education( they are known as a good nursing school).
I am a non trad with a family and will be working as an RN during my studies to help keep us afloat.
I have recieved excellent advice here in the past and am hoping some of you who may have experience with small private vs. large state schools could weigh in.

Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

I vote LSU.
Pros: Cheaper (very important), better known (minor point), larger (giving you more flexibility for class options, very important if you're working), more support services for pre-meds (can be useful)
Cons: will take 3 years

OLotL
Pros: 2 years (but maybe more if you have to work and can't get classes that work with your schedule)
Cons: more expensive, unknown reputation, unknown course offerings (typically nursing classes don't cover what you need for MD), smaller college so fewer course offerings so less flexibility.

The only thing that would change my assessment would be if you were going for a nursing degree instead of pursuing MD or DO. This is a little unclear from your post. If you're going for nursing, then OLotL might be the better choice, but I don't know enough about nursing curriculum to say. If you want to work towards being a doctor though, LSU all the way. An 'extra' year is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things- and you might have to do that anyway if you chose OLotL, due to flexibility issues I mentioned above.
good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Excellent points! To make it clear I am pursuing medical school. I have grown very tired of the nursing model of care

Truthfully, if your ultimate goal is med school, it doesn't really matter much. You could even do your pre reqs at BRCC. I did a couple there. You have a very good shot at LSU with good grades, a good MCAT, and a strong drive. I'm actually surprised at the number of nontrads in my L1 class, and a lot were nurses. I know you want to have fun finishing your undergrad, but if you want to just get into med school as soon as possible and are able to work well independently just choose a program you can get done fast and efficiently.

Reactions: 1 user