hard normality question help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
given that following rxn

HCl + Ba(OH)2 --> BaCl2 + H2O. What volume of 1 N of HCK is required to react completely w/ 10 mL of 1 N Ba(OH)2?

the correct answer is 10 mL. But I am not sure why I don't get this answer.

I went 10 mL * 1N * 2/1 = 20 mL.

What's the correct way to think about this Q? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

lol the answer is given to you, all the work is done. all Happy has to do is send it home. why would you multiply by 2?

given that following rxn

HCl + Ba(OH)2 --> BaCl2 + H2O. What volume of 1 N of HCK is required to react completely w/ 10 mL of 1 N Ba(OH)2?

given that following rxn

Any time you deal with normality you just use N1V1=N2V2...they are telling you to use 1N Ba(OH)2 so naturally it would take an equiv volume of 1N acid to titrate.

Any time you deal with normality you just use N1V1=N2V2...they are telling you to use 1N Ba(OH)2 so naturally it would take an equiv volume of 1N acid to titrate.

I think he multiplied by 2, because Ba(oh)2 would give off 2(oh-), so he assumed it was 2N... just a thought

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, that's what I though. don't we have to go 2*N1*V1 = N2*V2, given N1 is Ba(OH)2? Thanks

given that following rxn

IF YOU MULTIPLY BY 2, YOU'RE FINDING THE ANSWER FOR MOLARITY, NOT NORMALITY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CONVERT.