Hard returns vs semicolons when entering stuff into ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshSt

Train, Say Your Prayers, Take Your Vitamins
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I enter things on a list into ERAS in professional organizations, awards, and hobbies I list it using hard returns, like:

Most Awesome Person Award
Cured Cancer Award
Nobel Peace Prize

but it shows up like this with 2 spaces in between:

Most Awesome Person Award Cured Cancer Award Nobel Peace Prize

Is there any way to make it show the returns or should I use semicolons or something else to make it look better -- e.g.,

Most Awesome Person Award; Cured Cancer Award; Nobel Peace Prize

Advice is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I always used the second way, after seeing how it showed up when using hard returns. Not sure why you'd even start a thread about it. The process if full of much bigger questions.

Well, depending how much of a grammarian you want to be, semi-colons should not be used to make a list. That's what commas are for. The exception is if entries in that list already contain a comma, like dates or cities with their states.

E.g., on this trip, we'll be visiting Des Moines, Iowa; Boise, Idaho; and Portland, Oregon.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, depending how much of a grammarian you want to be, semi-colons should not be used to make a list. That's what commas are for. The exception is if entries in that list already contain a comma, like dates or cities with their states.

E.g., on this trip, we'll be visiting Des Moines, Iowa; Boise, Idaho; and Portland, Oregon.

True enough, but the issue is ease of legibility for the reviewer. If the hard return doesn't work in the new web-based ERAS, then I think semicolon separates the list elements better than a comma. But it's not a huge difference--programs will get the idea no matter what you use.

True enough, but the issue is ease of legibility for the reviewer. If the hard return doesn't work in the new web-based ERAS, then I think semicolon separates the list elements better than a comma. But it's not a huge difference--programs will get the idea no matter what you use.
I do think the semi-colons are more appropriate than commas in this context for this quoted reason and because listing things within some of the categories (e.g., awards, professional societies, and hobbies/interests) is somewhat conversational. The examples I listed in my original post were to be silly but their lengths are based off things I do plan to list in ERAS. Another example is trying to squeeze in a mini-description of what (if anything) you did in the different societies (e.g., Student Member of American Medical Association -- Served on the so and so committee; Student Member of the American College of Physicians -- Served as the regional this or that; Medical Society of Local Geography -- Served as the club's corn pipe cleaner; club 3 with mini description; club 4; etc).