Hardcore Brush With The Law - Any Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jache

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, but I have been an ardent SDN follower/lurker for years. I’m writing this today because I was involved in a truly remarkable brush with the law 2 years ago amidst preparing my applications for medical school, and I’d like some input on whether I might still have a chance of a career in medicine, or any professional career for that matter. Until this incident, I WAS your bright-eyed bushy-tailed, run of the mill med school applicant; mid-level college, 3.87 GPA, 37 MCAT, high school teacher, 2 years research, publications etc… What happened thereafter forever changed everything.
I was involved in a relationship of 2 years with a girl who was rather unstable (i.e. bouts of anorexia, suicide ideation, cutting, borderline personality disorder). At the time I was working extremely long hours in a research lab at an undisclosed university, and I wasn’t able to spend very much time with her. I came to learn that she was two-timing me and actually DATING another guy, while still living with me…somehow. This realization precipitated into an argument one night when I confronted the girl with my evidence of the relationship. When presented with an ultimatum, she proceeded to grab a knife and slash herself on the wrist, claiming she was ’going to kill herself.’ A struggle ensued, I restrained her, she exclaimed ‘get off me your hurting me’, I removed the knife, and she raced back to grab another knife. I continued to restrain her, prying the knife from her hand as she’s pressing the knife vertically against her arm. She then raced to the door of the apartment with knife in hand, and tried to leave, but I pulled her back into the apartment because I was scared that she was going to run out into the parking lot and kill herself. More struggling ensued, and I finally restrained her against a sofa in our living room, removed a knife and placed it out of reach under the sofa. That’s when police burst into the apartment with guns drawn, and found me on top of my girlfriend holding her down…. Not a good look. Even after explaining my situation to the police, with evidence of bloodied knives around the apartment, I was charged with domestic violence (for restraining) and kidnapping (a witness saw me pull my girlfriend back into the apartment, but didn’t see the knife in her hand). The girl was sent to the psychiatric ER for slashing her wrists.
The story gets even crazier and almost unbelievable; I spent the next week in jail awaiting bond. The evening I got out, I received a phone call from a detective at the university I worked at. She wanted to ‘talk to me about some things that may have been going on in my lab.’ Confused, I called up a friend who worked in the lab who told me that the lab had been raided by the DEA earlier that day, and that they suspected I was manufacturing methamphetamine and LSD in my workspace. They brought drug dogs in, took samples from my hood space, removed a large amount of glassware from the lab, and cordoned off my section of the lab as a suspected clandestine lab. Once I heard this news, I became very frightened and broke down, eventually violating a no-contact order against my girlfriend to try to talk to somebody, and I was sent back to jail.
Fast forward one month, and my domestic violence/kidnapping case goes to trial. In an all-women jury, I am thankfully found not-guilty. However, I am told that the drug investigation is ongoing and they found ‘materials that could be used to make LSD, and a complete and fully stocked methamphetamine lab setup’ and my workplace (the organic chemistry lab I worked at). They searched my apartment, they searched my car, they took my laptop and forensically searched all the internet history searches I had ever made, they basically searched everything I owned. Fast forward 8 months, just when I was thinking the case was abandoned, I’m called back to the state and arraigned on 2 counts of manufacturing charges and a witness interference charge (for getting upset after reading the discovery and learning that my girlfriend had lied to police and told them I was running a meth lab at my workplace). Three weeks later, my lawyer came to me in jail and told me the prosecutors were dropping everything for ‘complete lack of factual evidence’, all they had was my girlfriend’s statement and a bunch of circumstantial evidence like me working ‘late nights’, positive field tests for drugs (actually false positives for the amines I was working with in the lab) that later turned out negative on GCMS analysis, and an informational book on ‘mind altering drugs’ by the American Chemical Society, on my desk at my workplace.
So… long story short, I’ve gone to the depths of hell and back, in two back-to-back cases involving extremely serious charges. However, I was acquitted of charges in both cases and I stand innocent. I’m now saddled with arrest record with 6 felony counts and 1 misdemeanor that make me look like a hardened criminal, but no convictions. I haven’t had any run-ins with the law either before or since these incidents. I’m left wondering what to do with my life, and what sorts of avenues are still available for my career after something like this. Some say that arrests and charges don’t count for anything without a conviction, while others including medical schools and licensing boards analyze arrests and charges for character assessments including integrity and risk-aversion. Should I, can I still pursue medicine? Can I even pursue ANY licensed profession? Will powers that be respect legal process and give me the benefit of the doubt, in spite of such horrible accusations? Or did my efforts just go to waste? What to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Before others weigh in I urge you to delete identifying details, especially dates, organizations, and charges, before someone quotes your post.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh god. This reads like a movie. Im sorry to hear this, unfortunately apply to med school and licensing bodies you have to list all charges despite them being dropped or even found innocent. This will hamper your med school application but may not kill it. Ill leave it to other experts. Good luck, hope you're in a better place now.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like if you were to stand a chance, your best shot would come through EXCELLENT letters of recommendation and long standing bouts of community service, TFA being one of them (which hopefully shows your compassion, resilience, and strong interpersonal skills)

Can admissions see the arrest history? I thought the background check conducted by med schools only reveal convictions. Since you were found innocent on all charges, there should be nothing on your criminal record that the school could see. I would suggest requesting your own criminal history to double check. Certainly do not lie when asked specifically if you've been arrested, but if the questions (interviews, application essays, etc.) only ask about convictions, there is no point disclosing all the other information.

Can admissions see the arrest history? I thought the background check conducted by med schools only reveal convictions. Since you were found innocent on all charges, there should be nothing on your criminal record that the school could see. I would suggest requesting your own criminal history to double check. Certainly do not lie when asked specifically if you've been arrested, but if the questions (interviews, application essays, etc.) only ask about convictions, there is no point disclosing all the other information.
I think that you are correct that Certiphi only discloses convictions in its medical school background checks, however I've heard mixed testimony about that because some 3rd party background checks DO report arrests. Regardless, I understand that most secondary applications request full disclosure of arresting charges, with an accompanying explanation. While these charges are certain to capture attention for their seriousness, who's to say busy ADCOMS who are swamped with applications are going to put any extra effort into reading my application and seeing such nasty allegations. Would they? Moreover, these allegations are the very crimes that medical licensure boards look to weed out: violent crimes, drug crimes, crimes of moral turpitude. Yet it still stands that I am constitutionally innocent until proven guilty, or does it? Will any one give me consideration, let alone listen and actually believe my acount of the events... even while I was already aquitted? Or is this just an uncontrollable reality of our justice system that has no resolve?

I think that you are correct that Certiphi only discloses convictions in its medical school background checks, however I've heard mixed testimony about that because some 3rd party background checks DO report arrests. Regardless, I understand that most secondary applications request full disclosure of arresting charges, with an accompanying explanation. While these charges are certain to capture attention for their seriousness, who's to say busy ADCOMS who are swamped with applications are going to put any extra effort into reading my application and seeing such nasty allegations. Would they? Moreover, these allegations are the very crimes that medical licensure boards look to weed out: violent crimes, drug crimes, crimes of moral turpitude. Yet it still stands that I am constitutionally innocent until proven guilty, or does it? Will any one give me consideration, let alone listen and actually believe my acount of the events... even while I was already aquitted? Or is this just an uncontrollable reality of our justice system that has no resolve?
I doubt medical boards would bar you from licensure based on charges that you were found innocent of. It would be ridiculous otherwise when you would have done 4 years of medical schools + at least 3 years of residency. The problem is getting into medical schools. I can't recall the exact phrasing of the questions on criminal history, but I remembered with very vague memory that it specifically asked about convictions. You should double check with people who recently completed their secondaries this cycle.

In any case, with your stats, you are a very competitive applicant. I would recommend preparing to apply in the upcoming cycle and don't let those ridiculous arrests hinder you from applying.

As long as you are not asked about arrests, you're home free.

IF you are, suggest consulting a lawyer, because you will be given the opportunity to explain this. You'll need to be more terse than you OP, though.

edit: In this instance, I would suggest that anyone giving advice who is not involved with admissions or licensing has no grounds on which to base their advice. I hope that everyone who has given advice is not just making things up in their head.

Reactions: 1 users
Very interesting story Jache, albeit horrifying. I agree with the others, you should apply in the upcoming cycle (perhaps after seeking legal counsel). Regardless of what happens, it would be nice to hear how it turns out for you. Keep posting

What's the point of having a justice system if you have to disclose innocent convictions?!

Lol isn't the whole point of it is so you don't keep getting screwed over for something you didn't do?

I don't recall specific wording from my apps but I think it was 'have you ever been charged with a felony' in which case your answer is no.

At the end of the day you should be ok if you were found innocent on all charges

And that my friends, is why you abandon ship on the first sign of psycho.

Reactions: 3 users
My extremely quick thoughts

1) there's a decent chance there is more to this story. There often is when we hear one side of it. Even if there isn't there is a possibility some doubt will still be cast upon you from this. Regardless of what happened and whether there was wrong doing OP needs to realize different adcoms with different backgrounds can react rather differently to hearing an applicant being involved with something like this. Even if they weren't convicted. Their reactions might not always be the most reasonable in your mind OP but you have to account for that and adjust expectations accprdingly
2) it's still absolutely worth giving a run this cycle and see what happens. If nothing else give it a go now before your mcat expires. Following what I said above broadly. This will be looked upon differently by different people. At the very least I think you should be competitive with a broad list
3) follow Goros input that he gave there. Specifically about the lawyer and being more terse

Last edited:
Definitely seek legal help and advice. No one on this board can give you a true answer.

Gawd. This is why you don't date psycho. I feel for you and honestly have no better advice than a reputable lawyer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You have no convictions, which means you should be good to go at most medical schools. AMCAS only asks for convictions, but some schools have secondaries which will ask about arrests and charges as well.

However, there are two big problems you will be facing - 1.) will these charges appear on a CBC? 2.) Will you be able to get licensed?

Those two questions aren't really something anyone on this board can answer. A lawyer should be able to help you with both, moreso the first than the second.

One option would be to just skip schools that ask about arrests and only apply to those that ask about convictions. There is nothing wrong with saying you have never been convicted of a crime, and even if the arrest does come up somehow it won't matter.

Definitely speak with a lawyer.

Forget medical school.
Pitch above plot summary to Hollywood. Make bank off royalties. It's like I'm reading John Grisham here.

Reactions: 1 users