Hardest medical school to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azjoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think the most competitive medical school is to get accepted to?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Azjoe

WashU by numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard? Even know its not rated the best by USNews?

Princeton is impossible to get into.

Originally posted by gschl1234
WashU by numbers

although washu's acceptance rate is 2x that of harvard and hopkins.

id say harvard and hopkins b/c you have to be stellar in all aspects of your app.

Hogwarts Medical School! :smuggrin:

Originally posted by DrJ2B
Hogwarts Medical School! :smuggrin:

I hear they have alot of grade inflation once you get in and that you have to do your clinicals in different locations.

I'd like to add Mayo to the list. Isn't there classes limited to 60 or something on top of being a stellar school?

Mayo - no doubt about it, they accept 2 % of applicants. Harvard is around 5, Wash U 10.

Mayo also only has 42 students per class. Last year they only had to offer 50-some acceptances to fill their class.

Even with offering only 50 some acceptances, apparently two more people accepted an offer to Mayo than they had planned on, so they're class ended up being 44 this year instead of 42. Yikes.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF for out-of-state apps. Stanford is a close second.

Originally posted by TheFlash
UCSF for out-of-state apps...

I most definitely agree.

Originally posted by exmike
although washu's acceptance rate is 2x that of harvard and hopkins.

id say harvard and hopkins b/c you have to be stellar in all aspects of your app.

Yes but consider who bothers applying to WashU. I didn't because I know my scores and GPA are substandard for them. I'm not saying it's the best school, just that their high numbers intimidate a lot of people and consequently they have a smaller applicant pool.

just to throw some randomness into this...i was accepted to both ucsf (out of state) and stanford...but didn't get an interview at either hopkins or harvard. definintely not complaining though!!! :)

Yes but consider who bothers applying to WashU. I didn't because I know my scores and GPA are substandard for them. I'm not saying it's the best school, just that their high numbers intimidate a lot of people and consequently they have a smaller applicant pool.

and those same people intimidated by washu's numbers arent also intimidated by harvard/hopkins?

Lowest acceptance Rates: Boston, Stanford, Mayo, Duke, Cornell

Although Duke has it beat in numbers(how many apply vs. accepted) I have to say Harvard.

It seems all of them are legacy and/or saved a third world country.

Originally posted by Azjoe

JHU by number of applicants/spots. Harvard by being the most selective. (They have their pick of the litter)

Coops

UC Davis, out of state
South Floriday, out of state
Mercer, out of state
Southern Illinois, out of state
LSU Shreveport, out of state
Massachusettes, out of state
Mississippi, out of state
East Carolina, out of state

All tied for most difficult to get into. What a useful measure of a school's worth. ;)

~AS1~

Very true. That does skew the data.

Coops

i vote DREW/UCLA med program.

(only 24 spots, need very specific profile, lots of apps, about a 2.5% acceptance rate)

Originally posted by Kashue
Lowest acceptance Rates: Boston, Stanford, Mayo, Duke, Cornell

that doesn't mean much. People just apply there because they think it will be easier to get into.

and those same people intimidated by washu's numbers arent also intimidated by harvard/hopkins?

Well, not really because at least I'm about average at Harvard (going by the numbers in US News & World Report) so I figured, why not try? Yes it's a long-shot but at least I feel like my application would get a look. Since their average student has similar numbers to me, they wouldn't throw out my application altogether. When I see MCAT averages as high as 36-37 at WashU, my first impression is that they only care about numbers. I don't feel like my application would get serious consideration or a serious read-through because I am someone who is below their average and who has no connection with the school. I don't know about JHU because I've never looked into the school. Harvard/JHU are intimidating but because they have lower averages they give people the impression (whether valid or not) that they look beyond numbers and consider the person. This makes it less intimidating for someone like me to bother applying. On the other hand, for someone who has a 37+ MCAT, he/she may have an easier time getting into WashU than Harvard or JHU but I think relatively few people have 37+ scores in any application year.

Actually, this isn't the case.

A guy from my school who was at the Hopkins interview with me said he didn't bother applying to Wash U cause he thought his numbers weren't up to snuff there.

Coops

Originally posted by carrigallen
that doesn't mean much. People just apply there because they think it will be easier to get into.

I think these numbers are fairly worthless. Otherwise add UVM to hardest school to get into.

Coops

Hardest Medical School to get into:

FSU out of state. They have never accepted an out of state student. Good luck guys!

Coops

I heard those Caribbean medical schools are the hardest to get into because there are bars on the windows and doors.

Originally posted by ewing
Princeton is impossible to get into.

That is, until they finish their purchase of UMDNJ-RWJ. That's right folks! Soon, New Jerseyites are going to have one less state school to apply to.

I hear University of Alaska is impossible to get into for both in-state and out-of-state.

ucd and uci for out of state :laugh:

add umass for out of state

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Actually, this isn't the case.

A guy from my school who was at the Hopkins interview with me said he didn't bother applying to Wash U cause he thought his numbers weren't up to snuff there.

Coops

really a WHOLE SINGLE APPLICANT? yeah they must ALL be scared then.

Originally posted by ixitixl

That is, until they finish their purchase of UMDNJ-RWJ. That's right folks! Soon, New Jerseyites are going to have one less state school to apply to.

When is this happening? What will happen to the students who are already enrolled? They end up with a Princeton degree but pay a few years of private tuition?

Just curious

Originally posted by kingcer0x
When is this happening? What will happen to the students who are already enrolled? They end up with a Princeton degree but pay a few years of private tuition?

Just curious

he was joking

This 'joking' phenomenon you speak of... is it fairly common?

Yes. It is typically followed by laughter.

Originally posted by Kashue

Yes. It is typically followed by laughter.

I feel inclined to laugh-out-loud. LOL, if you will.

Stony Brook is another state school out-of-staters would like to get into. MSAR says a handful apply every year. I dont think any get accepted unless they are MSTP.

This 'joking' phenomenon you speak of... is it fairly common?

Actually no, I'm not joking. Princeton is the only Ivy without a medical school and they want to take over one that already has research facilities and staff rather than spend money to build their own. I heard 5-6 years but I don't know the details. My guess is that students who are still there when it is taken over will continue to pay the state tuition but students who enroll after the takeover will pay whatever tuition. It is possible that they will maintain a 2 tier system afterwards. For now, the takeover isn't 100% but last I heard, they were in negotiations.

really a WHOLE SINGLE APPLICANT? yeah they must ALL be scared then.

I'd look before you leap, brother.

Coops

Strange I know several people who applied to ONLY UCLA and UCSF in the UC-system because they don't discriminate between residents and non-residents. I read on another thread that that UCSD/UCI/UCD also don't discriminate between residents and non-residents which is why CA residents have it so tough in terms of admissions to their own state school. Can someone shed some light on the subject?

bootyshake.gif

CCW

Originally posted by ixitixl
Strange I know several people who applied to ONLY UCLA and UCSF in the UC-system because they don't discriminate between residents and non-residents. I read on another thread that that UCSD/UCI/UCD also don't discriminate between residents and non-residents which is why CA residents have it so tough in terms of admissions to their own state school. Can someone shed some light on the subject?

Nah, UCSF definitely discriminates between Cali residents and non-residents. According to US News, they had 2375 in-state apps and 1719 out-of-state apps. While the number applicants was roughly comparable, they accepted 168 in-staters and only 69 out-of-staters. I'm assuming UCLA is sorta similar, as I'm a bit too lazy to check this late at night. :)

tf

*pulls exmike and Cooper apart* No reason to have any words guys. Chillax.

tf

It seems that the admissions process (to some degree) is just like throwing a pair of dice...

A good friend of mine who went to my alma mater (Columbia College) graduated summa cum laudae. She was superb in every way! of the 6 schools she applied to (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Washington U in St. Louis, Cornell, Columbia, and the other I can't remember), she was only rejected by Johns Hopkins.

Many people I know will get into schools like Harvard, but will get rejected by J.H. So, I think that J.H is the most difficult to get into...

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Originally posted by docjolly
Many people I know will get into schools like Harvard, but will get rejected by J.H. So, I think that J.H is the most difficult to get into...

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Naw, if the biggest cokehead flake from my undergraduate college can get into Johns Hopkins Med, then it must not be THAT difficult to gain an acceptance.

We can't look at acceptance percentage here...we have to look at average MCAT and GPAs of those accepted. If we went by percentage...one could easily argue that UC Davis, UC Irvine, University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Florida, etc are all the most difficult schools to get into. However...we should look at how self-selecting the applicant pools are at the schools in question...the applicant pool to Johns Hopkins probably won't look like the applicant pool to Drexel (in terms of MCAT, GPA, etc...hell..even in terms of ECs, LORs, etc).

My vote goes to Washington University in St. Louis ..and the REASON I think it has the highest MCAT average of all the top med schools is because of a school-wide inferiority complex. I think the Wash U adcom feels it has something to prove...its undergraduate schools sends thousands of letters to high school students across the country...begging them to apply ..this is why WUSTL (Washington Univ. of St. Louis) actually stands for "We Usually Send Thousands of Letters." The school is considered an Ivy League backup school for students in the midwest (for undergraduate studies that is)...and I think the med school adcom wants to prove how selective WUSTL can be and how they can attract the top echelon of premed students.

My list of "The most difficult med schools to get into":
1) Wash U of St. Louis
2) Johns Hopkins
3) Harvard
4) Cornell
5) Stanford
6) Univ. of Pennsylvania
7) UCSF
8) Yale
9) Columbia
10) Duke

Honorable Mentions:
Northwestern
Univ. of Chicago
UCLA

my votes are for mayo (teeny class size), stanford (slightly less teeny class size), and out-of-state ucsf (like what, 20 out-of-staters in an entering class? :eek: ). in that order.