Hardest part of job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Student Bri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a side project trying to help other dental students, and I'm looking for specific info on finding a job after graduating from dental school.

Info I'm looking for:

At what point in dental school did you start looking for a job?
What was the hardest part of looking for a job?
How long did it take you to find a job (or if you don't have one yet, how long have you been looking)?

Thanks!

Bri

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a side project trying to help other dental students, and I'm looking for specific info on finding a job after graduating from dental school.

Info I'm looking for:

How long did it take you to find a job (or if you don't have one yet, how long have you been looking)?

Thanks!

Bri

Most people in my class started looking in february-march of their final semester (with graduation 2-4 months away)...it's harder to start before that not only because you're busy finishing requirements and studying/prepping for boards...but also because very few dentists are going to hire someone so far in advance

The hardest part was for people to find that balance between a desirable working environment (corporate vs private), preferred geographic location, and a salary high enough to pay back one's student loans. All of my faculty in dental school continually bad mouthed and villainizinv corporate dentistry...and as first, second and third years it was easy to stomach...but when it came time to actually sign the contract the corporate office paying 180k often times wins out over the private practice offering 110k.

Some people held out for what they hoped would be better positions for a few months...most find jobs right away because they're willing to compromise on ideal

Reactions: 1 users
Remember CO faculty getting sued or something for bad-mounting corporate? I think it was a specific chain. And a student's father was somehow connected? Maybe that part was a rumor.

Anyway, our faculty is pretty good about it. Just presenting the literature and having discussions (some on ethics). I don't think it's the most ideal for anyone, but it's reality, especially when you're out and facing large loan payments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Info I'm looking for:

Thanks!

Bri

1) After I graduated.
2) Finding one that fit me as a dentist. My criteria? Non-HMO/heavy PPO participation. Autonomy to diagnose my own patients. Equitable new patient sharing between myself and any other dentist at the clinic. Fair pay.
3) 4-6 months to find the one I really wanted. I worked in corporate dentistry while I found the job I would be at for 5 years.

Hey everyone,

Info I'm looking for:

Thanks!

Bri

1. after i graduated
2. hardest part of looking for a job is just convincing yourself to accept whatever comes your way and making the most of it.
3. Doesn't take that long. All depends how picky and hungry you are. Hungry people tend to eat anything put infront of them. Kinda of force yourself into a catatonic state of mind. Tell yourself, "I am nothing. And nothing feels nothing. I have risen from dust, and so shall I return to dust. Valar Morgulis."

In all seriousness...
I know a group of students from my school who were just going to do straight GP (non-military, non-residency, huge loans, non-parent dentist) collectively seem to transplant themselves in Dallas. Its a tough job market, so they seem to form a support group. One person finds something good, and the others follow suit. Then they form a weekend group where they work hard during the week and play hard during weekends. Eventually the group splinters off as people start their own practices, but initially is its a great experience to have buddies that are going through the same stuff you're facing. Advice: Go as a Group.

good,I don't think it's the most ideal for anyone, but it's reality, especially when you're out and facing large loan payments.thanks
X2GI0x

Thanks for your input, everyone! This has been really helpful.

Reactions: 1 user