Harvard implicit association test (IAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this interesting and important. 14 different IATs to test for any implicit bias one may have in regards to weight, sexuality, race, gender, etc. Hope ya'll find it helpful.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

Members don't see this ad.

I agree it's interesting, but how do you imagine it to be helpful and important?

Anything that allows me become better aware of my bias towards certain groups of individuals is helpful in itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh.....
"In reporting to you results of any IAT test that you take, we will mention possible interpretations that have a basis in research done (at the University of Washington, University of Virginia, Harvard University, and Yale University) with these tests. However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this site, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations."

Anything that allows me become better aware of my bias towards certain groups of individuals is helpful in itself.

I would suggest reading and self-reflection if thats your goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Uh.....
"In reporting to you results of any IAT test that you take, we will mention possible interpretations that have a basis in research done (at the University of Washington, University of Virginia, Harvard University, and Yale University) with these tests. However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this site, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations."

I would suggest reading and self-reflection if thats your goal.

Thank you for your suggestion! What would you suggest reading?

Thank you for your suggestion! What would you suggest reading?

Brady-Amoon, P. (2011). Humanism, feminism, and multiculturalism: Essential elements of social justice in counseling, education, and advocacy. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 50, 135-148.

Hage, S.M., Romano, J.L., & Conyne, R.K. (2007). Best practice guidelines on prevention practice, research, training, and social advocacy for psychologists. The Counseling Psychologist, 4, 493-566.

Kenny, M. E., Waldo, M., Warter, E. H., & Barton, C. (2002). School-linked prevention: Theory, science, and practice for enhancing the lives of children and youth. The Counseling Psychologist, 30(5), 726-748.

Kumagai, A. K., & Lypson, M. L. (2009). Beyond cultural competence: Critical consciousness, social justice, and multicultural education. Academic Medicine, 84, 782-787.

Skiba, R., Michael, R.S., Nardo, A.C., & Peterson, R. (2002). The color of discipline: Sources of racial and gender disproportionality in school punishment. Urban Review, 34, 317-342.

Smedley, A. & Smedley, B.D. (2005). Race as biology is fiction, racism as a social problem is real. American Psychologist, 60, 16-26.

Walsh, M. E., Galassi, J. P., Murphy, J. A., & Park-Taylor, J. (2002). A conceptual framework for counseling psychologists in schools. The Counseling Psychologist, 30(5), 682-704.

Weinstein, R.S., Gregory, A., & Strambler, M.J. (2004). Intractable self-fulfilling prophecies: Fifty years after Brown v. Board of Education. American Psychologist, 59, 511-520.

Villegas, A.M. & Lucas, T. (2002) Educating culturally responsive teachers: A coherent approach. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.

Weinstein, R.S. (2002). Reaching higher: The power of expectations in schooling. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Reactions: 1 user
Brady-Amoon, P. (2011). Humanism, feminism, and multiculturalism: Essential elements of social justice in counseling, education, and advocacy. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 50, 135-148.

Hage, S.M., Romano, J.L., & Conyne, R.K. (2007). Best practice guidelines on prevention practice, research, training, and social advocacy for psychologists. The Counseling Psychologist, 4, 493-566.

Kenny, M. E., Waldo, M., Warter, E. H., & Barton, C. (2002). School-linked prevention: Theory, science, and practice for enhancing the lives of children and youth. The Counseling Psychologist, 30(5), 726-748.

Kumagai, A. K., & Lypson, M. L. (2009). Beyond cultural competence: Critical consciousness, social justice, and multicultural education. Academic Medicine, 84, 782-787.

Skiba, R., Michael, R.S., Nardo, A.C., & Peterson, R. (2002). The color of discipline: Sources of racial and gender disproportionality in school punishment. Urban Review, 34, 317-342.

Smedley, A. & Smedley, B.D. (2005). Race as biology is fiction, racism as a social problem is real. American Psychologist, 60, 16-26.

Walsh, M. E., Galassi, J. P., Murphy, J. A., & Park-Taylor, J. (2002). A conceptual framework for counseling psychologists in schools. The Counseling Psychologist, 30(5), 682-704.

Weinstein, R.S., Gregory, A., & Strambler, M.J. (2004). Intractable self-fulfilling prophecies: Fifty years after Brown v. Board of Education. American Psychologist, 59, 511-520.

Villegas, A.M. & Lucas, T. (2002) Educating culturally responsive teachers: A coherent approach. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.

Weinstein, R.S. (2002). Reaching higher: The power of expectations in schooling. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Great!!! Thank you! I think I'll be able to find time to read the articles especially since I am one elective away from being done with med school.

Great!!! Thank you! I think I'll be able to find time to read the articles especially since I am one elective away from being done with med school.

We use this test in our didactics, and I am no expert on this issue, but it seemed really helpful insofar as it helped people really understand that they did have implicit assumptions, thus normalizing the idea and making people more comfortable with being open about what their blind spots might be, and how they can work with them.

Reactions: 1 user