Harvard post Bacc schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HUpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am starting HU's post Bacc pre med program (aka Health Careers Program) this fall and was wondering, from the people that are currently in or have completed the program, what was your schedule like?

Currently, I am debating between these tracks:
Sorry about the horrible formatting (done from iphone)

Option A
:
Fall 2014 _____Spring 2015
Bio 1 __________ Bio 2
Chem 1 ________Chem 2
Phys 1 __________Phys 2

Summer 2015
Organic chem 1
Organic chem 2

Fall 2015 _____ Spring 2016
Biochem 1 ______Take mcat
Study4mcat

Option B
:
Fall 2014 ______Spring 2015
Bio 1 _________ Bio 2
Chem 1 ______Chem 2

Summer 2015
Biochem only

Fall 2015 _____ Spring 2016
Phys 1_________ Phys 2
Org chem 1 _____Org chem 2

Summer 2016
Study for mcat

Fall 2016 ____ Spring 2017
Study4mcat _____Take mcat

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences!
I'm trying to make sure I do well and not waste time

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Both look doable to me. I think it depends on you and how you handle workloads. The second plan would be a little slow to me, but might be just the right pace for someone else.

Do you have to build your application in other ways? Through clinical or research experience? Will you be working?

*Just an opinion from someone who was not a part of this program but completed a DIY post bac on their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Both look doable to me. I think it depends on you and how you handle workloads. The second plan would be a little slow to me, but might be just the right pace for someone else.

Do you have to build your application in other ways? Through clinical or research experience? Will you be working?

*Just an opinion from someone who was not a part of this program but completed a DIY post bac on their own.
Thanks for your help!
I will be choosing not to work. I will be co-authored on my second publication coming soon, have a couple months of volunteering. I'm also starting my own non-profit soon as well. I was a psychology major in college (UCSD). Not used to taking all science courses.. I'm also 25 and feel that I am a little behind schedule so to speak which is a little discouraging.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Should I take my time and ensure good grades but feel even more behind when starting med school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
@HUpremed You're on the non-trad board. 25 just ain't old here. I'm 29 and applying for the first time, and I'm still on the younger end of the spectrum.

Of course take more time if you need to. Bad post-bacc grades=no acceptances, so if you rush through and get bad grades, then the whole thing will have been a waste of time and money. Much better to take an extra year+ and make sure you apply once, with the best possible app you can put together.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you may have to take Ochem before BioChem, but verify with the extension school to make sure

I'm also 25 and feel that I am a little behind schedule so to speak which is a little discouraging.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Should I take my time and ensure good grades but feel even more behind when starting med school?

This is a marathon, not a sprint. This is true for almost everyone, at any age. Such is the premed process in the United States.

What you should do is reject the false binary presented here: Take your time and ensure (as much as you can) good grades, and don't feel "behind." If you're meeting prerequisites and earning good grades, you're moving forward. If instead, in a rush, you earned grades that weren't sellable for med school, would you really have moved forward toward med school?

Reactions: 1 user
I did:

Year 1 - Physics/Chem + work full time as clinical research coordinator
Year 2 - Orgo/bio + MCAT + continue full time work
Year 3 - interviews + work

I don't know how this all changes with the new MCAT, but my schedule (minus the working part) is what most people did and it worked out well for those who made it through the program (there's a not insignificant dropout rate). PM me if you have specific questions.