Has anybody suceessfuly applied Kaplans method for Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anybody is using Kaplans method for verbal( mapping..writing the purpose of each paragraph). Seems like a good strategy getting the gist of the paragraph, I just want to know if it worths doing load of practice and apply it to the real thing?

I apologize if my question has been asked before, I couldnt find a helpful one.

Members don't see this ad.

Took Kaplan and the April 19th exam. Didn't use Kaplan's method of mapping during VR b/c it just took too much time up to actually write down what was important. I would suggest mentally making a note of what the author is trying to prove in the passage and how he creates his argument paragraph by paragraph. I found this to be the best method of approaching the verbal passages. I would also suggest to read more slowly than you would normally since you rather read the entire thing the first time around than to scramble for answers later. If you honestly read every word and extract the meaning of each sentence, then questions become a lot easier.

My $0.02

i used it only for verbal and it worked for me. I started with a 7 on the diag and worked up to a 10 on my last practice exam- I'm now waiting for my scores from the april 18th administration

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to know if anybody is using Kaplans method for verbal( mapping..writing the purpose of each paragraph). Seems like a good strategy getting the gist of the paragraph, I just want to know if it worths doing load of practice and apply it to the real thing?

I did; it worked great for me. Some people like it, some don't. Try it for a while and see how it works for you.

Having taken Kaplan myself, it wasn't that helpful. I became worried about applying their way of thinking and writing down all the "key notes". It was a just a waste of time. But this may be just me.
Use your own intuition when approaching the passages. Just practice a lot and find what works for you.

I tried the Kaplan method really & truly for quite a few tests, including full length AAMC tests; kept scoring around 9 in VR. (down from 11 in my initial Kaplan diagnostic). Then I counted the number of words I needed to write for my understanding of the Kaplan method for each section.. summary sentence, intent of the passage, then a sentance on what each paragraph meant. Maybe I misunderstood something on the Kaplan method, but I was writing a huge number of words as my "notes" before even starting to read the questions! Time did not add up; I kept not finishing all sections very well.

I modified this by instead doing a short "summary" of the passage (like 3-5 words) and then a 2 word summary of each paragraph, no more. That worked better, scored an 11 on the VR section of the actual MCAT.

I modified this by instead doing a short "summary" of the passage (like 3-5 words) and then a 2 word summary of each paragraph, no more. That worked better, scored an 11 on the VR section of the actual MCAT.
This is the key. If you're writing whole sentences, you're writing too much.

No, it took way too much time for me. And felt that writing stuff down so often was really distracting (for me, at least)

Took Kaplan and the April 19th exam. Didn't use Kaplan's method of mapping during VR b/c it just took too much time up to actually write down what was important. I would suggest mentally making a note of what the author is trying to prove in the passage and how he creates his argument paragraph by paragraph. I found this to be the best method of approaching the verbal passages. I would also suggest to read more slowly than you would normally since you rather read the entire thing the first time around than to scramble for answers later. If you honestly read every word and extract the meaning of each sentence, then questions become a lot easier.

My $0.02

Second that. I scored 10-12's before I signed up with Kaplan. After I tried their method I scored 7-9's. I'm going back to my own method (which is described in the quote).

it actually has helped me but i modified it. i try to highlight just the key names, dates, or terms. then, i summarize the paragraph in 3 words. finally, i develop the purpose in my mind. no point to waste time writing sentences.

when i do a question, i can remember some of the details to help me eliminate some answers. then, i try to figure out between the last two answer choices of what is correct by reflecting back to my passage map.

prior to this, i was fluctuating from as low as a 4 to 7's with an occasional 8.
now, i score 7s with no problem and scored as high as a 10. all i want is at least a 7 because my sciences will make up the rest:hardy:

Beware being OK with accepting a single low section score and thinking that other scores will make up for it, I've spoken w/several admissions offices about a single low section score, one school said their cutoff was 10 for each individual section, another said a score of 8 in any section indicated "reason for concern", anything below an 8 in a single section would be an automatic rejection of that candidate.