Has anyone applied to NYU Masters in Oral Biology or Tufts masters in Bio.Sci

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalholic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, can you give me some insight on stats of a typical applicant to these programs and also about the program?

And if you know of any other Masters programs that are not as competitive to get into. I have a science gpa of under 3.0

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i've been worrying about the same thing. apparently master's programs are useless and we should be doing a post-bacc instead?

So I enrolled in the NYU "Oral Biology" Masters. First off, it is not an accredited program. Your degree will say "Biology" nowhere will it say "oral biology." Their website is purposely deceptive.

Second, there are hardly any relevant courses to choose from. There is a course called Biocore that every Biology master's student has to take and the course was such a debacle that they are trying to restructure the whole course. To give you an idea of how bad it was- a different prof was supposed to teach every week, approx 1/3 of the time the teachers supposed to be teaching didn't even show up! They sent substitutes! The substitutes were clueless, but ironically, the assigned teachers who showed up the other 2/3 of the time were no better! Many of them admitted that they had no idea what they were supposed to be lecturing about.

Third, nobody knows anything about this "program" -the administration seems to make up requirements and rules as they go along. I get different answers every time I ask about requirements.

Last and most importantly, the "program" claims that they have a 100% acceptance into dental school. This could not be further from the truth! Although a few have been accepted to dental schools (not NYU btw), a lot of people have NOT!

Hope this saves you the time, $$, and trouble that I went through. My advice- choose a Master's program that is devoted to its students, study for your DAT, and cross your fingers. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I enrolled in the NYU "Oral Biology" Masters. First off, it is not an accredited program. Your degree will say "Biology" nowhere will it say "oral biology." Their website is purposely deceptive.

Second, there are hardly any relevant courses to choose from. There is a course called Biocore that every Biology master's student has to take and the course was such a debacle that they are trying to restructure the whole course. To give you an idea of how bad it was- a different prof was supposed to teach every week, approx 1/3 of the time the teachers supposed to be teaching didn't even show up! They sent substitutes! The substitutes were clueless, but ironically, the assigned teachers who showed up the other 2/3 of the time were no better! Many of them admitted that they had no idea what they were supposed to be lecturing about.

Third, nobody knows anything about this "program" -the administration seems to make up requirements and rules as they go along. I get different answers every time I ask about requirements.

Last and most importantly, the "program" claims that they have a 100% acceptance into dental school. This could not be further from the truth! Although a few have been accepted to dental schools (not NYU btw), a lot of people have NOT!

Hope this saves you the time, $$, and trouble that I went through. My advice- choose a Master's program that is devoted to its students, study for your DAT, and cross your fingers. Good Luck!

Ok, I am looking at a couple SMP's

I have been accepted so far into

NYU oral bio
UMDNJ MBS
Midwestern AZ Mbs

prolly gonna get into
Tulane, Barrys

and Hopefully into
Tufts, UCSF, SFSU

what would be the order of what you would recommend out of this list ( i live in houston texas btw)

I am trying to get into Dental School

I got into the NYU oral bio program but am trying to decide if i should go here as opposed to, UMDNJ, Barrys, Tulane, or Midwestern AZ?

which one would help the most?

my gpa is 3.2 dat is 20/20/21

nyu oral bio
midwestern AZ MAMBS
or Tulane CMB?

BU's gms program is good

lol i feel you man
unfortunately i didint get in

its only those three (or maybe four if you count barrys)

out of those which would you say?

Hi,
Im a dentist from India. I thought this MS in oral biology would add to my resume and would help me to pursue DDS later on..? Also could you tell me how much the course cost? And its duration?
Would it be a good idea for me or should I look into a course from some other university??
I would be very grateful if you could help me out!!

I saw that someone mentioned the Tulane 1 years masters programs. I went to Tulane for undergrad and I just wanted to comment that these 4+1 programs are excellent. I didn't do the program myself, but I know plenty of people who did it.

The most popular for pre-med/pre-dental students are the Cell and Molecular Biology and Neuroscience masters. These two are actually very similar in terms of courses. There are also a few others, like Genetics and Anatomy, offered at the downtown Tulane Med School campus.

And come on, its in New Orleans. Need I say more?