Has ANYONE been accepted to UVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneBasket

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've been watching the boards but haven't seen any UVM acceptances yet.

Is anyone in?

OR, does anyone even know of anyone who is in?

what's up?

UVM is the only school to which I am applying and my interview isn't for another month. I'm feeling rather desperate for information!

thanks and good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a VT resident? Hope so. Rumors floating say if you're OOS this year, it's not looking good for you. Haven't heard anything back and I interviewed about a month ago. We'll see...

i believe that they make decisions in batches. so, the october and november interviews get decided on and announced in dec. december and january interviews get decided on in feb. february and march interviews get decided in april.

or something to that effect. if anyone knows more, feel free to correct me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a VT resident? Hope so. Rumors floating say if you're OOS this year, it's not looking good for you. Haven't heard anything back and I interviewed about a month ago. We'll see...

For real? Where did you hear that?

Yeah, I am in-state. I heard the same thing. I feel bad for all the OOS people. But with the taxes I pay to live in this state, and the high cost of living coupled with the LOW wages...I'm not going to complain if I get a bit of a break.

So you don't know of anyone who is in yet?

For real? Where did you hear that?

There was another thread on here, I don't remember which one, that had someone who worked there saying that. Don't take it for gold. I do remember when I interviewed, a number of the students said that it's more probable to get waitlisted as an OOS and accepted off of that than to get a straight acceptance. Who knows, I'm sure it's different every year.

so far none of the OOS interviewed in Sept got accepted (pretty sure about this). Mind you there were like 10 IN-state and 3 OOS in my interview group...

Yes, false or not...the rumour about the "large VT residents applying this year" has been backed up by ppl who go to UVM currently.

For the OP, the chances of you getting accepted as an instate are pretty high...close to 80%...so dont fret...

If OSSers get waitlisted, how do they decide who gets off the list, are applicants ranked with some super formula or is it whoever got waitlisted first gets the spot? In addition, I heard that UVM has a formula as to how they distribute how many students from OSS vs In state get in, at least 1/3 of the students are from OSS.

That's hearsay at this point. We won't know until they start handing out a lot acceptances. UVM has always accepted a decent amount of OOSers.

That's hearsay at this point. We won't know until they start handing out a lot acceptances. UVM has always accepted a decent amount of OOSers.

Hence why i said it was rumor and not gold.... If they have a lot of instate apps then they are likely to accept more instate than in the past and less OOS than in the past. That's all. I'm not on the adcom so I don't honestly know. It's just passing along the hearsay that has been mentioned in other threads:D

altho this "rumor" makes sense, i have a friend who said something about uvm going over their budget by 5X ($250 million) and so are pretty desparate about raking in the dough. wouldn't they get more $ from OOS than in-state, since they pay more $$?

They are cutting in-state by 1/3 this year. Last year was ~42 instate and they are cutting down to ~30 this year. The main reason is for money. They did get an enormous amount of instate apps this year so it will be interesting to see if they compromise at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are cutting in-state by 1/3 this year. Last year was ~42 instate and they are cutting down to ~30 this year. The main reason is for money. They did get an enormous amount of instate apps this year so it will be interesting to see if they compromise at all.

where did you get this info zelig? everyone else (including "people who work at uvm" as some are saying) are saying instaters are increasing, which are going to decrease spots for OOS?

Nada here so far. Its a shame because the school is incredible, but I cannot afford it anyway so I guess I shouldn't be too dissappointed.

It's just what I heard from the pre-med advisors at UVM and from the admissions staff at UVMCOM. Nothing in stone though.

Nada here so far. Its a shame because the school is incredible, but I cannot afford it anyway so I guess I shouldn't be too dissappointed.

Yeah I totally agree. I think it'd be my flat out top choice if it wasn't so much for OOS. Of course I could probably be swayed if they showed some love...

Also, you need to factor in that Vermont has a deal with Maine to accept 10 students, which Maine subsidizes because it has no allopathic school of its own.
But Maine students compete against each other, not the entire pool of applicants. Still, Vermont and Maine students will comprise much of the entering class.

I work for UVM College of Medicine (I think I was the person referred to from the other thread) and know the people in the admissions office. I know two people who were accepted already (both instate, both early decision) and no people accepted regular decision yet. I have not heard the rumor about cutting instate spots, but then again, I don't go to UVM undergrad. I have heard the rumor about the unprecedented number of instaters applying and also the one about only waitlisting out of staters for now.
I do know for a fact how the UVM waitlist works---they "tier" it so people are waitlisted either "top tier, middle tier or bottom tier". Many many people get off the top tier. However, bottom tier waitlisters have also been known to be accepted if they are persistent. Basically, bottom line is this: if you are out of state, the waitlist is not a horrible place to be, but it involves praying that instaters get offers at other schools....good luck everyone:)

I work for UVM College of Medicine (I think I was the person referred to from the other thread) and know the people in the admissions office. I know two people who were accepted already (both instate, both early decision) and no people accepted regular decision yet. I have not heard the rumor about cutting instate spots, but then again, I don't go to UVM undergrad. I have heard the rumor about the unprecedented number of instaters applying and also the one about only waitlisting out of staters for now.
I do know for a fact how the UVM waitlist works---they "tier" it so people are waitlisted either "top tier, middle tier or bottom tier". Many many people get off the top tier. However, bottom tier waitlisters have also been known to be accepted if they are persistent. Basically, bottom line is this: if you are out of state, the waitlist is not a horrible place to be, but it involves praying that instaters get offers at other schools....good luck everyone:)

What do you do at UVM? You say you didn't go to their undergrad and you are applying to med school this cycle. I'm not trying to question your information; I just want to know how high up on the food chain it's coming from.

What do you do at UVM? You say you didn't go to their undergrad and you are applying to med school this cycle. I'm not trying to question your information; I just want to know how high up on the food chain it's coming from.

I do clinical research at the hospital (Fletcher Allen) and graduated from undergrad this past May from Bowdoin. I have a parent on UVM faculty though--this is where most of my info comes from.
IE: my info is not coming from very high up and should be taken with grains of salt...but it is the truth of what i've been hearing

wow!
so much conflicting information out there.
But thanks for sharing what you have heard, everyone.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to give you a decision after the interview?
My interview is end of November and I'm gearing myself up to have to go through the holiday festivities with no answer for all the questions from curious friends and relatives. But maybe I'll know by then?

thanks!

I am an OOSer who interviewed at UVM on 9/14...the second day of interviews. I was waitlisted in early October, but I got in today...about a week later. So, I guess the wait list isn't the worst place for OOSer's to be...I really loved the school and am extremely excited about it!

I am an OOSer who interviewed at UVM on 9/14...the second day of interviews. I was waitlisted in early October, but I got in today...about a week later. So, I guess the wait list isn't the worst place for OOSer's to be...I really loved the school and am extremely excited about it!

Congratulations! Last year, a friend of mine (OOSer) was in the middle tier of the waitlist, and was accepted in June. So, it does happen!

Hey,
Great news you two!

Congrats.

Congrats, Sony! I was completely surprised b/c I had not checked the page for sooo long...then my parents got the letter in the mail and I was beyond shocked...I had them reread it to me...I couldn't believe it! So everyone who interviewed at UVM...check you status page and mail!:D