Has Anyone completed Columbia or BU MPH Programs in 1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about enrolling in the one year program at either of these schools...has anyone completed it in one year? I'm just curious to find out how it is from those who have gone through it...

Members don't see this ad.

I completed my MPH in one year at BU. Its entirely doable. Most of the classes are offered in evenings or afternoons, as the school gears toward non-traditional students who are already working. During the summer, you can take some of the basic requirements like Intro to Epi, Intro to Biostats during the day. These classes are full of med students. FYI, at the time I did this, I worked full-time and I am a single mom.

Don't let the school try to dissuade you from pushing through in a year. Its not a big deal at all. BU is a GREAT place to network, you meet influential people from everywhere.

Good luck, either way. :)

KSpacegirl said:
I completed my MPH in one year at BU. Its entirely doable. Most of the classes are offered in evenings or afternoons, as the school gears toward non-traditional students who are already working. During the summer, you can take some of the basic requirements like Intro to Epi, Intro to Biostats during the day. These classes are full of med students. FYI, at the time I did this, I worked full-time and I am a single mom.

Don't let the school try to dissuade you from pushing through in a year. Its not a big deal at all. BU is a GREAT place to network, you meet influential people from everywhere.

Good luck, either way. :)

Hi KSpacegirl,

You liked BU? Did you feel rushed or stressed out taking this program in one year? Are you trying for med school?

Agape

Members don't see this ad :)
OBGYN2010 said:
I'm thinking about enrolling in the one year program at either of these schools...has anyone completed it in one year? I'm just curious to find out how it is from those who have gone through it...

Hey, I actually just got back from visiting BU. The program can totally be done in one year, but I realized its a few more credit hrs than MPH programs elsewhere. In order to graduate your schedule would be something like this:
Fall: 18 hrs
Spring: 18 hrs
Summer (there are 2 sessions): 12 hrs

*And you'd have to do your practicum somewhere in there as well. Even though 18 hrs is kind of tight, it seemed really worth it since after 12 hrs full time tuition is the same...so you might as well get the most for your money and take 18!

What do you all think of the program at BU? How does it compare to some of the other schools you have been accepted to?

does columbia have a 1 yr program?
i thought that when i looked over their website, they said it was rare to complete the MPH program in one year....

Thanks!

guarana said:
does columbia have a 1 yr program?
i thought that when i looked over their website, they said it was rare to complete the MPH program in one year....

Thanks!

Hihi!

I just visited Columbia today, and regarding finishing in one year, you'd have to take 7-8 classes per semester AND find time inbetween to do your internship/practicum. I'd highly recommend against it unless you have applicable graduate-level transfer credits.