Has anyone completed or are in Harvard Extension Health Careers Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with Harvard Extension Health Careers Program? If so, are the lower division courses (i.e. chemistry,biology) graded on curves? How do you like/liked the program? Did you find it helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do the whole program but I took ochem there and most of my friends took all four basic bio courses. Here is the answer you're looking for and then the answer you need. The answer you're looking for is the classes take into account spectacularly poor performance, like the semester where almost everyone failed the ochem midterm and Logan had to adjust the grades. I also know the 2013 ochem II final's midterm average was 200/300 and not all of us got C's, so I am assuming we received some boost.

The answer you need is you shouldn't be applying to the program if your biggest concern is whether the class is graded on a curve. That says to me that you're not sure you can do the work and don't plan on stepping up to the plate. Instead, you're hoping you can hit the mean and take advantage of that. Not a good attitude, especially since you're going to be among boatloads of gunners who all have the same pre-health plan as you do.

Beyond that, the courses are hard but extensive, the program seems supportive of its students, and you get a committee letter. First, you need to make sure your priorities are in order.

I think this attitude is rather harsh to the OP. I find true curves (where only a certain percentage of the class can get each grade) a pointless waste of time. A well-designed class will have absolute cutoffs for each grade and then design the tests so that the tests properly measure competency. Uncurved is much fairer overall when done well because you aren't penalized or rewarded for being in a particularly weak or strong class year. Asking if classes are curved or not is a fair question when choosing premed classes, just like considering true P/F vs ranked P/F vs curved classes is fair to consider when evaluating medical schools.

To answer the OPs question, chem, orgo, and physics are not curved at Harvard Extension. That doesn't make them easy; all those classes are challenging and require work to do well. But they are fair, well-taught, and good preparation for the MCAT. The post-bacc forum is a good place to get more information. Overall I recommend the program highly, particularly considering the very reasonably prices for the courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone has had experience.

1. Is any type of Financial Aid available for those attending this health careers program?
(I already know that it is "affordable" but not to someone who is about to relocate without transferrable work).
Are loans available? (Not including private loans).

AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT HOW TO PAY FOR/ FINANCING THE HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE! (Including relocating and having to find work and the sort).

2. What exactly is the sponsorship? I am not exactly sure what this means? I am confused about what "sponsorship" means in this sense?

3. Relocating from a different state in order to attend this program... is it feasible to do so?
Especially when the cost-of-living is high in Boston, MA.
Safe areas?

4. When you are in this program are you considered an Undergraduate still?

5. I have read a couple of the posts and have been told that it is NOT competitive to get INTO the program at all... so why aren't more people just attending this school to say that they have a "Harvard" degree?

ANY and ALL answers would be appreciative.

3. Relocating from a different state in order to attend this program... is it feasible to do so?
Safe areas?

I would not recommend moving to an entirely new state (and yes, living in Boston is very very expensive) just to do a premedical post-bac. Especially Harvard Extension's program, which has no linkage agreements with any medical schools. You will save tons of money by taking the prerequisites at a local state school (I've even seen some non-trads get accepted at MD schools after taking their prereqs @ CC's, assuming they do well on the MCAT). Harvard Extension's post bac is a good program. However, medical schools will not care where you took your prereqs, for the most part. Therefore, you are much better off taking them at a state university.

1. Is any type of Financial Aid available for those attending this health careers program?
(I already know that it is "affordable" but not to someone who is about to relocate without transferrable work).
Are loans available? (Not including private loans).

AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT HOW TO PAY FOR/ FINANCING THE HEALTH CAREERS PROGRAM IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATIVE! (Including relocating and having to find work and the sort).

2. What exactly is the sponsorship? I am not exactly sure what this means? I am confused about what "sponsorship" means in this sense?

Safe areas?

4. When you are in this program are you considered an Undergraduate still?

5. I have read a couple of the posts and have been told that it is NOT competitive to get INTO the program at all... so why aren't more people just attending this school to say that they have a "Harvard" degree?

Pretty sure you're not getting a degree from Harvard, you're getting some classes to boost your GPA.

I think this attitude is rather harsh to the OP. I find true curves (where only a certain percentage of the class can get each grade) a pointless waste of time. A well-designed class will have absolute cutoffs for each grade and then design the tests so that the tests properly measure competency. Uncurved is much fairer overall when done well because you aren't penalized or rewarded for being in a particularly weak or strong class year. Asking if classes are curved or not is a fair question when choosing premed classes, just like considering true P/F vs ranked P/F vs curved classes is fair to consider when evaluating medical schools.

To answer the OPs question, chem, orgo, and physics are not curved at Harvard Extension. That doesn't make them easy; all those classes are challenging and require work to do well. But they are fair, well-taught, and good preparation for the MCAT. The post-bacc forum is a good place to get more information. Overall I recommend the program highly, particularly considering the very reasonably prices for the courses.

There is a "light curve" in gen chem and ochem, but I've only seen it used once. Basically our ochem II midterm average was a bit lower than expected and they gave a small boost to everyone. They had changed the format of the exam a little with the intent of allowing more time (one less problem, somewhat more challenging problems). They expected grades to go up, but they instead went down a little. This is the only case I've heard of where any sort of finagling with grades was done. They only do this to boost grades, never to lower them. But generally, yes, no curve.

I would not recommend moving to an entirely new state (and yes, living in Boston is very very expensive) just to do a premedical post-bac. Especially Harvard Extension's program, which has no linkage agreements with any medical schools. You will save tons of money by taking the prerequisites at a local state school (I've even seen some non-trads get accepted at MD schools after taking their prereqs @ CC's, assuming they do well on the MCAT). Harvard Extension's post bac is a good program. However, medical schools will not care where you took your prereqs, for the most part. Therefore, you are much better off taking them at a state university.
Pretty sure you're not getting a degree from Harvard, you're getting some classes to boost your GPA.

No one is asking for a degree from there. Nor a GPA booster. The Health Careers Program is a certificate type program. Not a degree, so I know that i would not be receiving a degree regardless. I am asking as someone who has not completed the pre-reqs for medical school. There are no good state schools within the state I live in. So relocation is my ONLY option. However, I have choices as to WHERE I should relocate to.
I have also got accepted to UNC-Greensboro where they consider students as a second-degree seeking student.
Elms College- small college in Chicopee, MA about an hour away from Cambridge (so I would still be relocating to MA).

Last edited:

Community College is not an option in my state. Neither are state schools in the state I live. The quality is sub-par. It won't give me the challenge I need in order to do well in Medical school.
I was doing community college classes/ state college classes my junior and senior year of HIGH school. Salutatorian in high school, 4.0 GPA etc. etc. I took AP Chem, Adv. Calc, and Adv. Physics. I attended IVY league for Undergrad and double-majored with a 3.4 cGPA. I had all 4 years of Undergrad paid for.I have research experience (3-5 years) and a lot of community service involvement in hospital settings. I am currently doing clinical research as well...

Everyone talks about how affordable it is to go to the Extension school (and NO I am not doing it to get the Harvard name). I could care less because as I said before I graduated from an IVY league school.

All of the schools I have applied to are private but the Extension school just seems like the best option other than the cost of living which is MUCH more expensive than in my state. (You can rent a two bedroom here for about $800).

Is there financial aid available to pay for the school/ classes taken?
Are loans available? As long as I have classes covered then I am not concerned with paying for housing if that is the only expenses I will end up incurring.

Community College is not an option in my state. Neither are state schools in the state I live. The quality is sub-par. It won't give me the challenge I need in order to do well in Medical school.
I was doing community college classes/ state college classes my junior and senior year of HIGH school. Salutatorian in high school, 4.0 GPA etc. etc. I took AP Chem, Adv. Calc, and Adv. Physics. I attended IVY league for Undergrad and double-majored with a 3.4 cGPA. I had all 4 years of Undergrad paid for.I have research experience (3-5 years) and a lot of community service involvement in hospital settings. I am currently doing clinical research as well...

Everyone talks about how affordable it is to go to the Extension school (and NO I am not doing it to get the Harvard name). I could care less because as I said before I graduated from an IVY league school.

All of the schools I have applied to are private but the Extension school just seems like the best option other than the cost of living which is MUCH more expensive than in my state. (You can rent a two bedroom here for about $800).

Is there financial aid available to pay for the school/ classes taken?
Are loans available? As long as I have classes covered then I am not concerned with paying for housing if that is the only expenses I will end up incurring.
Let me somewhat repeat myself. It does not matter where you take your prereqs from, especially as a non-trad. Harvard Extension may prepare you slightly better for the MCAT than a typical state school, but for the most part you will have to prepare for the exam on your own (as in, classes do not really help you 'study' for the exam). If I were you, I'd attend school at the place where I'd #1) save $, and #2) do well in the classes. A 4.0 post bac from Random State University > 3.5 post bac GPA from Harvard Extension. Set yourself up for success.

Reactions: 1 user

It's not competitive to get into the program - as far as I know, you pay, you're in. It's just expensive and most people realize the extension school is the extension school.

That being said, the organic chemistry class taught at the Extension School by Logan (who taught me physics in the College) is on par or of better quality than the one they teach at Harvard College. Many students at the college actually prefer to take the one taught at the extension school over the summer.