Has anyone ever figured out your SDN identity in real life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Officer Farva

Gimme a liter of cola.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, I try to keep my personal info to a minimum. I even slightly obscure my stats and state of residence to keep things good. However, I am curious if anyone has ever "been made" at an interview or among fellow applicants?

I feel like this is the website that every premed uses but that everyone would insist having no knowledge of it.

I had this discussion at one of my last interviews with my interview group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. I'm hella discreet.

Yes it happened to nicknaylor and some encounters at some interviews were reported to be less than ideal. But I guess that's what happens when you use your real name

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
stop-posting.jpg

Reactions: 25 users
I've made 3 guys I know.
1 in turn made me when I asked too many questions.

For example, I try to keep my personal info to a minimum. I even slightly obscure my stats and state of residence to keep things good. However, I am curious if anyone has ever "been made" at an interview or among fellow applicants?

I feel like this is the website that every premed uses but that everyone would insist having no knowledge of it.

I almost got the vibe of being a secret super hero after reading this post haha!

On a more serious note, I honestly don't and wouldn't mind people knowing who I am. I try to conduct myself on this site the same way I would in person. I've actually made quite a lot of friends by sharing and exchanging personal info! (Facebook, phone #, etc)

Reactions: 17 users
I would be beyond mortified if someone figured out who I was.

Reactions: 2 users
I think most people on this site are professional enough to not be TOO embarrassed if one person found out who they are. However, when 100s or thousands figure that out, definitely a line was passed!

I wonder what admissions committee people do when they figure who someone is from their SDN posts and they are an angel in person but a troll/incredibly rude on the forums.

@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik have you ever encountered this type of situation?

Yes it happened to nicknaylor and some encounters at some interviews were reported to be less than ideal. But I guess that's what happens when you use your real name

Oh boy, that is frightening!

:cryi: so you're not actually Officer Farva?? :cryi:

12f6c61d5a806d44217229c1611fbe35.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
:cryi: so you're not actually Officer Farva?? :cryi:

12f6c61d5a806d44217229c1611fbe35.jpg
Classic Farva psychology. By posting under your real name, no one would ever suspect it's your real name since most people have the common sense to not use their real name.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When people post the exact date they are interviewing, I imagine it's not too difficult for admissions committees to look at their post history and figure out who they are, if they are so inclined.

This is the reason I chose my spirit animal... Optimus Prime

I personally never cared too much as I don't say anything online that is compromising.

Meh, everyone knows who I am and it's probably going to bury me come time to apply for residency. I care but I don't, I guess. If anyone has a problem with what I say on SDN, then they'll probably have a problem with who I am irl, so I guess it allows people and programs to filter themselves out of my life.

Reactions: 8 users
My girlfriend figured out my SDN identity by ridiculous happenstance without even looking for me. A combination of being sweet and searching for info on WesternU on google and recognizing my previous avatar since I had sent her that picture via email.

Lalex? Streampaw?

I doubt it but I figured out someone else - not poster, but a reference to "I know this guy who did X."

If they have they haven't said anything yet. But I try to obscure my identity here a bit. If I was a bit more open on here I'm sure a couple classmates could ID me (I tend to stick out like a sore thumb)

To be honest, my friends and girlfriend could totally figure out who I am based on my avatar and writing style on SDN.

I recognized a high school classmate last year. It was really obvious. It was a ridiculous post requesting help deciding between some top schools and it was really neurotic and entitled. Now I'm paranoid!

No but in all seriousness, I'm a sarcastic idiot on the interwebz as I am in real life. It balances out my love for working with the dying and teaching the blind about nature. I can't be TOO perfect, you know.

Meh, everyone knows who I am and it's probably going to bury me come time to apply for residency. I care but I don't, I guess. If anyone has a problem with what I say on SDN, then they'll probably have a problem with who I am irl, so I guess it allows people and programs to filter themselves out of my life.
It's not gonna bury you. Continue being yourself! I guarantee a lot of people on this site would buy you a beer (or more lol) if given the opportunity to meet you irl.

Reactions: 6 users
Never recognized anyone nor have been recognized. People I interviewed with could probably figure it out after the fact if they went into creeper mode though

Can't recognize me because I don't exist. I am many and I am none. I am...Theseus. I could be you, or your grandfather, or even your puppy. Think about that for a while.

Reactions: 5 users
Can't recognize me because I don't exist. I am many and I am none. I am...Theseus. I could be you, or your grandfather, or even your puppy. Think about that for a while.

I...am...SPARTACUS
image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think it's hard to figure me out at all, but I don't think I've said anything I wouldn't say in real life. I guess I'm naive and don't get why people would want to be less than genuine in either facets of life.

Someone was trash talking my SDN self once at an interview. That was pretty hilarious.

Reactions: 31 users
It's not gonna bury you. Continue being yourself! I guarantee a lot of people on this site would buy you a beer (or more lol) if given the opportunity to meet you irl.

Can confirm, would buy @Mad Jack a beer. Especially if he is an undead pirate, some of my best friends are undead.

I have a feeling that a couple of people know who i am (outside of my roommates who definitely know who I am). I have a couple people on SDN as FB friends so I don't really have a lot to hide if people find out. The only thing I would be embarrassed about is that people would find out I spend way too much time on the Internet arguing with strangers

Reactions: 6 users
I've given enough details on this site to make it pretty easy for classmates to identify me. My philosophy when posting anything online is that anonymity should never be assumed. I don't say anything here I wouldn't say to anyone face-to-face. Nothing really embarrassing in my post history.

Theseus how many times do I have to tell you SDN is not for puppies... Only wise cats
image.gif

Reactions: 3 users
A friend randomly messaged me on Facebook once asking if I was CellPowerhouse on SDN. If people knew me IRL it's easy to figure out who I am based on my posts, I guess.

Someone once PM'ed me asking if he should wear his military uniform for an interview. The next day I interviewed someone in uniform who matched the characteristics of the person who had PM'ed me. Weeks later, after it became evident that he was getting admitted, I "came out" to him and we remained friends for many years.

I have one other friend IRL who I first met here. He's interviewing for residencies right now... time flies.

My ability to be frank here hinges on my anonymity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I feel like Goro and I would get along pretty well. He likes all of my snarky posts.
image.png

Reactions: 8 users
Reactions: 2 users