Has anyone ever figured out your SDN identity in real life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. An adcom at a school i interviewed at....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't judge me...I can't resist a bad joke. Probably why I'm single :shrug:

Wasn't a bad joke :)

Bespectacled Judgy McJudgerson puppy felt the need to confront bespectacled Judgy McJudgerson cat. Just how these things go.

@Lawper - You look...different. Can't quite...put my finger on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A medical student did once... But then again, it's not really a secret.
I've had some regrets of some posts here( I pm an apologized) ... My sarcasm doesn't type well it seems.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never met anyone else who uses SDN. Interviewing this Friday, so I'll Be knowingly meeting others for the first time. Probably not going to bring it up.

I've never met anyone else who uses SDN. Interviewing this Friday, so I'll Be knowingly meeting others for the first time. Probably not going to bring it up.
It always came up at my interviews.

About 2 dozen people know who I am on here (3-4 figured it out IRL, the others I actually met through SDN first). Just about anyone could probably figure out my identity if they looked through enough of my posts. When you're an MD/PhD and you're fairly open about where you go to school, you can only have so much anonymity.

I have a friend who knows of and lurks on SDN. But we don't speak of our usage. I'm sure he knows who I am though if he's on... So hayyyyy J :highfive:

I sit next to another woman in a bio class who is a NonTrad like me, has her UG AND masters in bio... Couldn't get into a school where we both want to go last year due to MCAT score... Hadn't heard of Anki, examkrackers, khan academy while preparing to retake the MCAT this year... I was like, "DO U EVEN SDN BRAH?"

They were trying to coax you out

Nah, they weren't.

It was even more funny because a few of the people I was talking to WERE on SDN as well and knew who I was. Said person in question looked pretty neurotic because they brought it up in front of a few current students at said school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not exactly anonymous, either. I'm haven't really been quiet about where I've interviewed and what dates, lol. I don't think I've said anything here that I would feel the need to apologize for or explain to anyone, though. As of right now, only my girlfriend knows who I am.

Reactions: 1 user
As @Psai mentioned, more than a few people figured out who I was back when I was interviewing for medical school. One person literally asked for my autograph (???). But I also had a previous username that was more identifiable. There is also enough information in my posts to figure out who I am - I guess that happens after you make an insane amount of posts. At a minimum knowing what med school I went to, the program that I'm currently at, and Google, my identity is pretty easy to figure out. So I don't have anonymity any longer.

There were a couple of folks in my med school class that used SDN as I saw them posting in our school specific threads. Most of them don't post anymore, though one still does. Even after ~5 years I'm still not sure of who he/she is though I have ideas.

In med school, there were a few of us that were in the same city and we actually got together and hung out one night - it was surprisingly fun. Sadly most of them don't post anymore.

I'm friends with a couple of people on Facebook that used to be pre-allo mods, but no longer. They're residents now at various places.

I've never met any true strangers on SDN because it's not something that I really try and figure out or ask about. There are some weird folks here. But there are also some very nice people that I'm glad I had the chance to meet.

As @Psai mentioned, more than a few people figured out who I was back when I was interviewing for medical school. One person literally asked for my autograph (???). But I also had a previous username that was more identifiable. There is also enough information in my posts to figure out who I am - I guess that happens after you make an insane amount of posts. At a minimum knowing what med school I went to, the program that I'm currently at, and Google, my identity is pretty easy to figure out. So I don't have anonymity any longer.

What kind of experiences did you have being recognized while interviewing? That must be a bit awkward.

On an unrelated note, how's life in Texas? My girlfriend and I were tossing around ideas for where we'd like to do residency, or where to settle down afterwards, and we entertained Texas for a little while. Do you like it there?

What kind of experiences did you have being recognized while interviewing? That must be a bit awkward.

On an unrelated note, how's life in Texas? My girlfriend and I were tossing around ideas for where we'd like to do residency, or where to settle down afterwards, and we entertained Texas for a little while. Do you like it there?

I really don't remember most of them apart from the autograph thing. It was just awkward and distracting, because many of the people that I met were awkward and weird. Not the kind of people that I'd like knowing who I am or really talking to in person.

Texas is great. I was born and raised here and went to college here so I'm a little biased, but it's a great place to be. Cheap cost of living, no state income tax, and plenty to do in places like Dallas, Austin, and Houston. Texas is often in the news for the backwards politics that often goes on here, but the reality is that that kind of thing doesn't have an impact on your daily life. The culture is generally more conservative, and you do see that on a somewhat regular basis, but again, that doesn't necessarily impact you directly unless you let it.

If you're the kind of person that really, really wants to be in a place like NYC or Chicago or another similarly large city, it's probably not the place for you. But if you're fine with just being in a large city that has similar amenities but in a smaller size, it can be a great place to be. I really enjoy it and will likely be living here for the majority of my life. I much prefer it over Chicago, for example, though Chicago was a great city as well.

Don't know if anyone has figured out who I am yet, but I will say that I have figured out who two people are so far from interviews -- one of whom I told, the other I did not. So, you never know!

I didn't really hide who I was for a while and more than a few Pm'ed me about being more discreet. I have met vascular applicants on here in person. Since I have their applications, it is pretty easy to verify who they are since they always share scores + research etc.

I stand by everything I say on here and most of my colleagues know I post here, so not really worried. Plus, everyone at this hospital knows that when I start kidding around I start sounding like Donald...

I recognized one of my tour guides from an interview who was pretty active on the school-specific thread.

I also recognized someone from my high school because his username was his Xbox live gamertag from back in the day.

I stumbled across a friend's name recently ("Oh man, this thread is about the two schools my friend is looking at!" [begins reading thread, realizes the OP is friend]), but unless they know my writing style by heart, it's unlikely they'll figure mine out soon. At least that is until I post stats or regional information given my user name is in no way related to my actual name.

I am way too open and honest, never been directly called out but I have no doubt a number of people at my school know who I am. I don't really hide it and follow the same logic a few others mentioned: online is never anonymous so be the same you that people would meet in real life.

How do people normally get caught? Mentioning their numbers, state of residence, and undergrad? Maybe little things about the username that is a tip off?

My mom and girlfriend both independently figured out who I was on here after stumbling across the site. They still give me crap for being the weird guy that posts on SDN...

Linking MD Apps makes it easy to figure out

None of my pre-med friends use sdn but I'm sure if they did they could figure out who I am pretty easily... Also in the camp that I don't say anything here I wouldn't say in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My Dad: "So, why didn't you tell Mom and me that you got waitlisted at school X?"

Me: "Well I'll tell you when I get accepted to a school, but not when I get waitlisted or rejected!"

Me: "Wait....."

Reactions: 14 users
How well-known does one have to be on SDN before becoming SDN-famous? Like, me going into a lecture hall, introducing myself as Officer Farva, and everyone thinking of SDN and not Super Troopers.

How well-known does one have to be on SDN before becoming SDN-famous? Like, me going into a lecture hall, introducing myself as Officer Farva, and everyone thinking of SDN and not Super Troopers.

You are probably already SDN famous, I assure you, but probably not in a good way.

Reactions: 18 users
You have to create at least 3 threads per day. You're getting there! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Oh! I just remembered that my housemates mom asked if I was RTC when I met her while we were all moving in. That was pretty hilarious.

I really don't remember most of them apart from the autograph thing. It was just awkward and distracting, because many of the people that I met were awkward and weird. Not the kind of people that I'd like knowing who I am or really talking to in person.

Texas is great. I was born and raised here and went to college here so I'm a little biased, but it's a great place to be. Cheap cost of living, no state income tax, and plenty to do in places like Dallas, Austin, and Houston. Texas is often in the news for the backwards politics that often goes on here, but the reality is that that kind of thing doesn't have an impact on your daily life. The culture is generally more conservative, and you do see that on a somewhat regular basis, but again, that doesn't necessarily impact you directly unless you let it.

If you're the kind of person that really, really wants to be in a place like NYC or Chicago or another similarly large city, it's probably not the place for you. But if you're fine with just being in a large city that has similar amenities but in a smaller size, it can be a great place to be. I really enjoy it and will likely be living here for the majority of my life. I much prefer it over Chicago, for example, though Chicago was a great city as well.

Great, thanks for the info. I don't think I'm a big city guy. I grew up in Florida, in the suburbs of moderately sized cities. I visited some friends in Houston recently, and thought it was pretty cool; a lot like where I live in Florida, actually. Do you live in one of those 3 cities?

Someone came over after morning intros at Chicago and said "Hey so you don't really look like Dratini in real life." It was very surprising and abrupt...took me a couple seconds to realize what she was referring to. Made worse by the fact she was very pretty and I was embarrassed as ****. If I weren't anemic I'd been red as a monkey's ass. Turns out she was really sweet and now we're fb friends lol. But definitely astute, that one..

Reactions: 7 users
Great, thanks for the info. I don't think I'm a big city guy. I grew up in Florida, in the suburbs of moderately sized cities. I visited some friends in Houston recently, and thought it was pretty cool; a lot like where I live in Florida, actually. Do you live in one of those 3 cities?

Yeah, I'm from and currently live in Dallas.

No, you aren't streampaw.

Yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Someone was trash talking my SDN self once at an interview. That was pretty hilarious.
Nah, they weren't.
It was even more funny because a few of the people I was talking to WERE on SDN as well and knew who I was. Said person in question looked pretty neurotic because they brought it up in front of a few current students at said school!
If I remember correctly, I was there for that one. It also doesn't help that RTC looks exactly like his avatar.

Because I'm so open about where I went to med school (Oh hell yeah!), I try to be vague about other identifiers my undergrad, residency, and work history. Somebody who was really motivated could probably figure me out.

I'd tell ya'll who I am.. But then I'd have to give you all golden tickets.. anddd the oompa loompas don't like neurotic pre-meds going near the chocolate river.

Someone came over after morning intros at Chicago and said "Hey so you don't really look like Dratini in real life." It was very surprising and abrupt...took me a couple seconds to realize what she was referring to. Made worse by the fact she was very pretty and I was embarrassed as ****. If I weren't anemic I'd been red as a monkey's ass. Turns out she was really sweet and now we're fb friends lol. But definitely astute, that one..

My heart weeps for the next generation. How much more obvious can she get wow

In 5 years you're going to get hit with the revelation that you had a chance and blew it

Reactions: 10 users
No one will ever recognize me. I'm way too careful. ;)

Yes it happened to nicknaylor and some encounters at some interviews were reported to be less than ideal. But I guess that's what happens when you use your real name
Dang, I gotta get my name changed now...