Has anyone ever scored significantly lower on the real MCAT compared to practice exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were your practice scores and what was your actual score?

What caused the lower score?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes on PS subsection - got a 9 on AAMC #3 (first practice test before 2 months of studying) and was scoring 10/11 on avg by the last 2-3 weeks... 6 on test day...WTF? ran low on time and guessed on last passage and rushed/guessed last 4/5 discrete questions. Anxiety is real. I was fine on VR/BS but even VR I ran out of time on the last passage and guessed on those 5. I might've hit 13/14 instead of 11 if I had moved faster

Yes. It was my very first time taking the test. After rescheduling twice, I just had to take it and not push it away for once.....I ended up with a ridiculously low score after some major testing anxiety and some other test taking issues (timing). Although my AAMC practice test scores were within reasonable range, there was nothing that could emulate the true feel of a testing center (which led me to the jitters). Many of you guys will call me crazy for not canceling the test afterwards but it was something I had to overcome and face for once. I honestly left the testing center not knowing how I did.

AAMC Avg 9-11: 30
Actual Score: 20 (Painful and Embarassing....)

Sitting for the first time Dec 6. This is my one fear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never scored significantly lower on the real thing (I took it a total of 4 times and never got under a 30) but I could DEFINITELY see how it could happen. regardless of how much you want to answer questions correctly, honestly, as some of you suggest, your number 1 priority should be FINISHING each section on time. blindly guessing on 1 whole passage because you ran out of time, combined with getting a couple others wrong, can easily kill your score. it's hard to do with verbal, but if you practice enough, you should pretty much be able to gauge WHICH passages are hard in the PS and BS sections and which wont take much time. i know it makes things simpler to go in order, but that's just ridiculous sometimes. skip the dense ones, do the easy ones first as quickly as possible, and save the absolute hardest passage for the end, where hopefully you have at least 15 minutes left (there's no shame in spending 15 minutes on 1 passage if it's super hard). then, once you've seen every question in the section once, you can go back through it and "assess the damages," going through the questions you marked or left blank. even if there are a handful of questions you weren't sure of, at least youll know you gave them a solid effort rather than having rushed through them.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my private tutoring students once brought her score from a 17 to a 34 (her last two AAMC's were 34 on AAMC10 and 32 on AAMC11) and on the real thing she got like a 25. It was all text anxiety and making weird/bad choices with time management on Test Day. That's a really extreme case, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, students will score on the real exam within a point or two of their average on their last three AAMC tests.

not me but in our sn2'd thread, there were a lot of weird unexpected scores.
@orangetea is taking her test for the fourth time, even tho she defo knows her stuff
and @TBRBiosadist got a 35 i think (which is still good) but his test avg was like 40+ or something