About the ads

Has anyone heard from Columbia or NYU?

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by ready2roll, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ready2roll

ready2roll

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from Columbia or NYU regarding acceptances for OT?
  2. bbs11

bbs11

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I heard from NYU last week, though I was wait-listed. Good luck, and I hope you hear something soon! :)
  3. FlipFlops

FlipFlops

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    bbs11, did NYU email you or send you a letter in the mail?
  4. FlipFlops

FlipFlops

Never mind, I just saw your other post!
  5. MS OT

MS OT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I applied to Columbia, NYU and LIU and haven't heard back yet. Did anyone apply to schools in New Jersey?
  6. Elsevier1

Elsevier1

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I applied to NYU, Columbia and Seton Hall in NJ. The whole waiting game is driving me nuts..
  7. MS OT

MS OT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Yep, I know what you mean. We are just gonna have to wait it out. Are you from the New Jersey/New York area?
  8. Elsevier1

Elsevier1

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes I'm finishing up my undergrad. in NJ. What about you?
  9. MS OT

MS OT

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Me too. I go to Kean University. They have an OT program too but they just added a new pre req for this this year's application
  10. ready2roll

ready2roll

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Bbs11...Sorry about being wait-listed but when did you send in your application to NYU if you don't mind me asking?
  11. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I just went on an interview for kean yesterday. They said about 4 weeks until they send out decision letters. I also applied to Columbia and seton hall but haven't heard anything. Good luck to everyone!
  12. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Got an acceptance to Columbia today via email! Has anyone else heard anything?
  13. skchb

skchb

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Congratulations!!!
  14. DolceLilac

DolceLilac

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got my acceptance letter in the mail from NYU today! Still waiting on Columbia.
  15. BelleOT

BelleOT

DPT / OTD
    Congrats!!! I'm still waiting to hear back. When did you submit your application to the NYU program?
  16. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Is anyone from nj thinking of commuting to Columbia?
  17. vigilantcitizen

vigilantcitizen

For people who are applying to NYU and Columbia and aren't applying to Downstate, what are your reasons?

Also, are you planning on taking out living expense loans while in school. I'm concerned that private loans will be necessary.
  18. myohann1

myohann1 Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    congrats!! do you guys mind sharing your stats? I am looking to start applying in the Fall
  19. a500shot

a500shot

congrats! didnt know columbia would send email decisions before mail decisions...
  20. a500shot

a500shot

when does columbia university start sending out admissions letters?
  21. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Yeah I thought it was kind of strange to get an email saying I was accepted but I'll take it lol. Best of luck!!!
  22. KJ7984

KJ7984

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When did you all apply? My application was complete as of November 29th at which time I received an email confirming my application was submitted. I called the admissions office last month since I had not heard a peep since that confirmation email and the woman I spoke with said applicants would start to hear back 12 weeks after the February deadline (somewhere around May). I made it a point to confirm she meant at the earliest and not the latest. I am SO confused now! Waiting is the worst isn't it? :)
  23. a500shot

a500shot

That's what I'm curious about too. I know NYU is sending out letters and emails now due to your guys' responses here but I haven't read anything about COLUMBIA. Anyone here (besides LVD) receive a response from Columbia???
  24. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    I got into Columbia too via email, still waiting for the package in the mail. Did they offer you any financial assistance? Are you going to go to Columbia? I'm having a hard time deciding where to go.
  25. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    Overall GPA 3.67
    Psychology GPA 3.8
    GRE: 1170
    Extracurricular: Vietnamese Student Association Advisor, President, VP, Intern; Commencement Student Speaker, English Tutor, Resident Advisor, Assistant Resident Director, University's Honors Program, Research Assistant for 3 years
    Accepted: Boston University, WUSTL, Columbia, USC, and Tufts
    Waiting: UIC and University of Washington
  26. OT4Life

OT4Life

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  27. skier85

skier85

For everyone who was accepted to Columbia, did they give you a date that you need to send in your deposit by? I heard that they accept a group of people and give them a date to commit by, and then accept more people based on how many deposits they get. Does anyone know if that is the case?
  28. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    I don't know if it is the case that they accept more students after others accept or deny their admissions, but they require a deposit by March 16th at the very latest.
  29. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    Did you receive your letter in the mail? Did they give you any offers?
  30. a500shot

a500shot

hey, on what day did you receive the congratulations email? :)
  31. OT4Life

OT4Life

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  32. mreg

mreg

I applied near the deadline days for NYU and Columbia and just heard back from both schools today. I got accepted to both , but am unsure where to go. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  33. j24h

j24h

Ah! I have only heard back from NYU (accepted!), but not yet from Columbia. I am also still waiting from UIC, WashU, and Temple ... not sure if they went to my spam box and I deleted, or if my skinny envelope got lost in the mail, or if they are still deciding if I can be squeezed in at the very end! Crossing fingers :xf::xf::xf:

Anyway, I got a good vibe from both Columbia and NYU when I visited. I am from New York, but I've been in Chicago/Oregon for a decade after high school. I just moved back and want to stay here, I don't know which I'd pick if I got into both ... I think they will be equally pricey too, there's a chance I'll end up going where it's cheapest (even if it's out of state).

Good luck! :)
  34. j24h

j24h

Just got into UIC! A good end to a fairly rollercoaster week (blaming the full moon for it all!)
  35. SIKU22

SIKU22

Other Health Professions Student
    knguy...why did you not choose tufts?
  36. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    I have been looking into grants and little other ways to maybe get some cash for school. As far as i know the only thing to do is take out the loans. I have also looked into loan forgiveness. If you work for a federal, state or government agency for some time after you graduate after a certain number of payments, the rest of your loans are forgiven. I know its an extremely expensive school but none of the other schools excite me quite as much. I am going to go to columbia. How about you?
  37. Karine

Karine

Non-Student
    LVD- I thought Columbia had a blind financial aid and gave some kind of financial aid to all students accepted. Do you know if it's true?
  38. LVD

LVD

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    OH MY THAT WOULD BE AMAZING! I am going to an open on the 31st so i am hoping to get the low-down on all the financial aspects of the program. I am going to look into the blind financial aid thing right now though. That would be the icing on the cake :)
  39. Karine

Karine

Non-Student
    Lol. I know they say something about it on their site. I just don't know how it really works. Please let me know when you find out because I'm going to apply to Columbia and they're my #1 but if they don't give financial aid I won't be able to go:( (if I get accepted!).
  40. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    I just came back from a visit from Washington University in St. Louis and the area is amazing and the program was very personable for a prestigious program. I am leaning towards Washington University for the reasons above and for financial reasons. If Columbia provided more financial aid, I would love to consider them. I put in my deposit for Columbia already, just in case. Can you describe some things about Columbia's program that stood out to you? That way I can get more insight.
  41. skchb

skchb

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
  42. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    I actually went to visit St. Louis because all the other places I got admitted to I already had a feel of how the area was going to be so I wanted to make sure I checked out St. Louis for myself. I too was worried about the crime stats but the reason for its high rate in crime in because of East St. Louis (which is actually considered Illinois and is not anywhere near the school). The school is in Central West End which looked like a very safe place, people were walking around, to and from the medical campus. I also had dinner on Euclid which is a street near the medical campus that a lot of the students go to eat, and it had a nice college feel.
  43. knguy040

knguy040

DPT / OTD
    My main reason was bc it wasn't on a medical campus, but that's my personal preference. Also, it is expensive, price is very close to Boston U so if I were to move to MA, I'd probably go to BU.
  44. NCSUgopack

NCSUgopack

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Can somebody please tell me what the deposits are for Columbia, Washington-St. Louis, Tufts, and UIC? I need to know how much to have on hand if and when I get acceptance letters. Thank you so much!
  45. otwa

otwa

Columbia is 400 before March 1st, 500 after.
    UIC does not require a deposit.
  46. NCSUgopack

NCSUgopack

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Thanks so much! Those were the main two I was curious about.
  47. OccTStudentHope

OccTStudentHope

Hello --

Has anyone else heard back from Columbia? Acceptance or rejection?

Waiting!

Thanks.
  48. otwa

otwa

Hi! We're supposed to let them know by March 14th, so my guess would be that the second round of acceptances will be mailed out soon after that!
  49. OccTStudentHope

OccTStudentHope

OK -- thanks for that info --- I know they will only accept 50 students for the class -- I will remain hopeful!
    If you rec'd an acceptance, congratulations!!
    All the best --
  50. otwa

otwa

Thank you- good luck to you :)