Has anyone here complete BU MAMS in one year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSerenity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone pulled this off? I keep reading on their website that it is very possible, but most reviews I read on this forum tell me it is unrealistic.

I'm very keen on finishing my program in one year. Can someone please give me some advice on how to pull this off?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those reviews are inaccurate. The director of the program tells all students that the program is easily doable in one year. There is no difference in coursework because all coursework is done in the Fall and Spring, regardless of whether you take the 1 or 2 year option. Only difference is that you would do your thesis as a literature thesis over the course of one summer as opposed to spending a full second year in a research lab to complete your thesis. No coursework is assigned for the second year anyways. If you are applying to medical schools in the current cycle and would like to complete MAMS in one year to begin medical school in Fall 2016, you can do so. But you can also wait to see if you get accepted to any medical schools first, in order to decide whether you want to take 1 or 2 years for MAMS. Further, if your medical school application lacks concrete research experience, the 2 year track is better so that you can get research experience. If you do the 2 year track, you do not pay tuition during the second year since its only research. Hope this helps and good luck.

Correction to the above post, you have to pay a continuing fee for the two semesters you do research. This is about 2k per semester you pay during the two summer sessions or you pay it during your second year.

The second year can also be completed away from the school. So if you have research opportunities at home there is no price difference between in the two tracks. If you stay in Boston, you will pay another year of rent.

About 10% of this years class said they plan to finish in one year.

Reactions: 1 user