Has anyone here overcome social anxiety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dobleman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since 10th grade in high school I always knew I wanted to go into science, and probably become a doctor (surgeon) because the job has always seemed really interesting to me. I've always worked really hard in school and gotten near the top of my class in both high school, more so in college.. grades aren't a problem at all (not that it isn't hard). However the much more difficult thing that has always been holding me back is my social anxiety. The forced socialization and shock of freshmen year of college was very stressful because of this but I seemed to get way better at socializing with people in general.

I've also been going to a therapist at the college for 2 years now, but it doesn't seem to help that much. The past school year I was on zoloft, but I found that it doesn't help with anything other than dull my emotions and cause many other problems so I stopped (I am also afraid of long term effects that is basically unknown).
Now that I am a junior in college and I am used to the setting of college I have receded back into my fear of everything from meeting new people, applying for anything that involves talking to authorities (about shadowing, volunteering, etc) and I don't know how to overcome this. Now I don't really have any experience or anything to show for the last two years other than good grades, because it is so hard for me to apply for interviews and talk to people that act as the gateways to good opportunities.

My question is: Anyone here who is either pre-med or a med student that has overcome social anxiety, and are you willing to share how you did it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't there medications that specifically treat social phobia?

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to force yourself out of your comfort zone. Realize I said force. If you want to accomplish anything, you'll have to make very diligent strides to overcome this. Therapy, to an extent, is supposed to work based on how you apply what you're taught by the therapist. If you just go home after, don't take anything they say to heart or try to do as they suggest, you'll get nowhere. A majority of the applicants to med school have good grades, but without any ECs, you're not going to get far.

As I said, step out of your comfort zone. Get a job in retail (you're forced to talk to people all day long, it significantly helped me), find a nice volunteering gig you're interested in. You have to take the first step to overcoming this, it won't happen all on its own.

Reactions: 7 users
Overcoming social anxiety?

7f1edd2e042cdec7e40e5ffebd1d0f4df27955337614a07b297294e6b6365cfe.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I always had mild social anxiety until I went to a new college and then a traumatic event happened and I just became completely afraid of everyone. It got so bad that I couldn't attend school or even go to the grocery store. I actually was on academic probation for two semesters from it. Finally I decided that if I wanted to accomplish anything I needed to get on proper medication.

You should really talk to your psychiatrist about other medications and such. It took me a few different ones until one finally worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with @ciestar
Make efforts to gradually step out of your comfort zone. Try doing something once or twice a week that involves mandatory social interactions with others and work your way up.
Also, are there any clubs and/or organizations at school that you may be interested in joining?

I think I developed social anxiety in college. I used to be pretty social in high school, especially since I worked in a store. What has helped was putting myself in situations where I have to be social. Instead of just doing my own thing when I volunteer, I ask all the patients if they need anything, etc.

My question is: Anyone here who is either pre-med or a med student that has overcome social anxiety, and are you willing to share how you did it?

Dear Dobleman,

This is your reality check. You're better than this. You know you are. Or else, you wouldn't be asking about how to overcome it. Here's some real facts about myself;

i) I was a quiet kid.
ii) I was more content reading a book or watching the Discovery Channel than going to play outside.
iii) I had my hearing checked multiple times as a child because I just would not speak.

What changed? Nothing really. Nothing at all. I was this social person all along... I started using MSN messenger (haha, I know), I started talking on forums to complete strangers about whatever really. Now, I know being shy is not the same as social anxiety. But, the sooner you learn that people are going to judge you no matter what you do... you start to understand that you need to live your life the way you want to and not give a damn about anyone who isn't supportive of your choices.

You can do this. You will overcome it.

Medications like Zoloft are great and all, but you should look at getting a new therapist. I'm not a psychiatrist by any means... but, I think CBT is probably one of the best therapeutic approaches out there. I've seen it work wonders.

Keep strong, you've got a long road ahead of you. You are the future Dr. Dobleman dude!

Best of Luck

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with others - if your therapist isn't helping you, try a different therapist. From what I have heard from friends who have seen therapists, sometimes it takes time to find a person you "click with" or a method of therapy that works best for you. You might also try different medications because like someone else said, it can be trial and error.

The advice to take small steps is a good one.

I don't know if this will help you, but I'm introverted and a little shy, and had some pretty awkward experiences with standardized patients (possibly because I knew I was being graded/evaluated on my performance). But I just started 3rd year, and talking to patients has been a lot easier than I expected. I think because a) it's not forced or like "acting" and b) having a role/script (questions you have to ask) takes a lot of the pressure off for me, it's not like scrambling to make small talk at a cocktail party. Also, I have met a lot of doctors who are introverted or even shy, and I'm on my surgery rotation too! That was honestly a little reassuring for me, so hopefully you can find a way to do what you need to do for the job, but don't feel like you need to change who you are.

Reactions: 2 users
Since 10th grade in high school I always knew I wanted to go into science, and probably become a doctor (surgeon) because the job has always seemed really interesting to me. I've always worked really hard in school and gotten near the top of my class in both high school, more so in college.. grades aren't a problem at all (not that it isn't hard). However the much more difficult thing that has always been holding me back is my social anxiety. The forced socialization and shock of freshmen year of college was very stressful because of this but I seemed to get way better at socializing with people in general.

I've also been going to a therapist at the college for 2 years now, but it doesn't seem to help that much. The past school year I was on zoloft, but I found that it doesn't help with anything other than dull my emotions and cause many other problems so I stopped (I am also afraid of long term effects that is basically unknown).
Now that I am a junior in college and I am used to the setting of college I have receded back into my fear of everything from meeting new people, applying for anything that involves talking to authorities (about shadowing, volunteering, etc) and I don't know how to overcome this. Now I don't really have any experience or anything to show for the last two years other than good grades, because it is so hard for me to apply for interviews and talk to people that act as the gateways to good opportunities.

Get good sleep, eat right, dont drink caffeine EXERCISE (cardio), force yourself to socialize.

I have had 'social anxiety' and its the result of your habits. You said you settled into your habits, so nobody here can really help you, you need to change your habits. If you think you need to see a therapist you might be more likely to make changes. Your anxiety is a normal response gone awry...and its going to take awhile and some work to get right.

You have to force yourself out of your comfort zone. Realize I said force. If you want to accomplish anything, you'll have to make very diligent strides to overcome this. Therapy, to an extent, is supposed to work based on how you apply what you're taught by the therapist. If you just go home after, don't take anything they say to heart or try to do as they suggest, you'll get nowhere. A majority of the applicants to med school have good grades, but without any ECs, you're not going to get far.

As I said, step out of your comfort zone. Get a job in retail (you're forced to talk to people all day long, it significantly helped me), find a nice volunteering gig you're interested in. You have to take the first step to overcoming this, it won't happen all on its own.

Exactly, this is exactly the advice I'd give and how I overcame mine. Force yourself out your comfort zone, keep pushing, and don't take or personalize things. It takes time, but if you keep trying things click eventually and it becomes less of an issue over time. It took a few years for me to overcome mine, but I'm pretty confident and assured now. Also try to stop worrying, OP.

Exactly, this is exactly the advice I'd give and how I overcame mine. Force yourself out your comfort zone, keep pushing, and don't take or personalize things. It takes time, but if you keep trying things click eventually and it becomes less of an issue over time.

It absolutely takes time. The last year of my life I've improved on this so much. I work in a retail pharmacy so I really have to be able to socialize with plenty of people everyday. While I still have issues with my peers (I, in general, get on people's nerves due to my overall negativity), I do much better with the general public and honestly don't have much of an issue striking up a conversation with someone I just met.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two volunteering gigs I have also help me come out of my shell.
For the dog rescue I work with, we're trying to get potential adopters to adopt the dogs we have in our rescue. So, I have to be able to talk to people, "sell" them on the dog/puppy so to speak. It wouldn't work at all if I couldn't talk to these people.
My other volunteering gig, I'm considered in a leadership position, so I have to be able to talk to/lead other volunteers through their tasks of the day, if I couldn't do this, I would be very stuck.

I honestly owe a ton to my job, it helped me realize that having conversations with people won't hurt me. It doesn't matter what they think of you anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a form of social anxiety mixed in with the social/communication problems people with autism have. I was unable to tolerate human touch, I had trouble speaking at all in front of anyone I didn't know.. I couldn't even order my own food at restaurants.

I then joined EMS...I was forced to become more social and accept/do more "neurotypical" behaviors or quit - and I was determined not to quit.. For me personally - this made a greater difference than trying to see counselors, breathing exercises, CBT, "mindfulness", etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I had horrible social phobias, it has been cut wayyyy back.

Working at the renaissance festival helped a lot or theater even as a tech.

Today I just did something that was out of my comfort zone, but because I had a little bit of control it ended up not being as bad.

Join your college newspaper, preferably as a news reporter. It will force you to interact socially with strangers, in person and over the phone. The best part is that you're just doing your job, so your interactions have a purpose. In other words, it will be less awkward since you have a reason to talk to them, and a goal (i.e., to get information). But at the same time it'll get you out of your shell and speaking with people... a lot.

I did this. It did not change my introversion, but it made me pretty comfortable talking to others compared to when I began college.

Join your college newspaper, preferably as a news reporter. It will force you to interact socially with strangers, in person and over the phone. The best part is that you're just doing your job, so your interactions have a purpose. In other words, it will be less awkward since you have a reason to talk to them, and a goal (i.e., to get information). But at the same time it'll get you out of your shell and speaking with people... a lot.

I did this. It did not change my introversion, but it made me pretty comfortable talking to others compared to when I began college.

off-topic, but is your avatar the scene from the matrix?

I've found that I'm sometimes a bit nervous at first when I'm in a new situation or surrounded by new people. However, if I keep exposing myself to these situations or people, I become more comfortable and less awkward. I do think there might be effective medications for anxiety (which you could consult a psychiatrist about), but you could also just try to get yourself out of your comfort zone more often. This might be harder and more embarrassing at first, but it should become easier with time. Once you've said the wrong thing or embarrassed yourself a certain number of times, you might feel less self-conscious and awkward (this is the case for me, since I subsequently realize that nothing terrible happened as a result of my social error).

I spent a lot of time at school studying, so at the beginning of the summer, I found myself constantly stumbling over words, nervous and stuttering when I was in social situations. Since then, I've gone out of my way to throw myself into social situations so I can get over this awkwardness. So far, this method seems to be working for me.

Thanks for the tips, I think if i just start volunteering a lot anywhere, probably at a hospital where there are lots of people, I'll get better eventually. Just gotta involved with people more I guess.

I then joined EMS...I was forced to become more social and accept/do more "neurotypical" behaviors or quit - and I was determined not to quit.. For me personally - this made a greater difference than trying to see counselors, breathing exercises, CBT, "mindfulness", etc.

I was thinking about becoming an EMT. Would that be a good idea?

Dear Dobleman,

This is your reality check. You're better than this. You know you are. Or else, you wouldn't be asking about how to overcome it. Here's some real facts about myself;

i) I was a quiet kid.
ii) I was more content reading a book or watching the Discovery Channel than going to play outside.
iii) I had my hearing checked multiple times as a child because I just would not speak.

What changed? Nothing really. Nothing at all. I was this social person all along... I started using MSN messenger (haha, I know), I started talking on forums to complete strangers about whatever really. Now, I know being shy is not the same as social anxiety. But, the sooner you learn that people are going to judge you no matter what you do... you start to understand that you need to live your life the way you want to and not give a damn about anyone who isn't supportive of your choices.

You can do this. You will overcome it.

Medications like Zoloft are great and all, but you should look at getting a new therapist. I'm not a psychiatrist by any means... but, I think CBT is probably one of the best therapeutic approaches out there. I've seen it work wonders.

Keep strong, you've got a long road ahead of you. You are the future Dr. Dobleman dude!

Best of Luck

I was kind of the same way.. my parents always said I was just really quiet, never really cried much and I could comfort myself. My ability to comfort myself is probably the problem itself. Time to dive in to the pain before it's too late.

While I applaud everyone's suggestions here, do recognize that severe social anxiety is medically treatable and NOT normal. If you're finding that your anxiety is so severe that it's interfering with your functioning and holding you back from doing whatever it is you would want to do, I would suggest seeing a doctor about it. Most schools have some kind of counseling service available to their students. Seeing a physician is NOT a sign of weakness, nor does it mean your are crazy.

Again, do everything that is suggested here, but don't be afraid to ask for help.

Nother CBT (sort of) success story here. I am prone to exhibit irrational levels of anxiety, but since finding a good therapist, I've slowly been making progress.
I cycled through many therapists, most of whom only listened to what I was saying, without countering or arguing with any of it. The catharsis of getting stuff off my chest felt good in the short term, but did nothing to correct the root cause of my anxiety, which was distorted view of the world that I had. My advice; find yourself a good CBT therapist, which (in my experience), are usually psychology PhD's, not psychiatrists. I don't want to denigrate the psychiatric profession as a whole, but my experience with psychiatrists is that they were ineffectual therapists who just wanted to prescribe me pills. Medication can be good when used with therapy that works, but it's not a substitute. Until you find a good CBT therapist, I'd recommend you get the book Feeling Good, by Dr. David Burns. It's a primer on CBT, and it'll come in useful when trying to figure out if a therapist is the real deal.

Onward and upward,

mistermafia

Put yourself out there, take risks... Get a job in costumer service... This helped me be more outgoing. GL

I was thinking about becoming an EMT. Would that be a good idea?

I think being an emt would be a great idea. You want to work/volunteer for a busy service - one that responds to 911 calls instead of just a "interfacility transport" service. The attitude in most EMS systems is the same as with cops or firemen. A very male oriented field with abrasive humor/personalities.

I've said this multiple times before, get a job in retail. You are bound to talk to strangers and at the same time help them. I was a shy person, now I can go up to anyone without being shy and just talk to them. Getting a job in retail will force you to talk to people so it helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I applaud everyone's suggestions here, do recognize that severe social anxiety is medically treatable and NOT normal. If you're finding that your anxiety is so severe that it's interfering with your functioning and holding you back from doing whatever it is you would want to do, I would suggest seeing a doctor about it. Most schools have some kind of counseling service available to their students. Seeing a physician is NOT a sign of weakness, nor does it mean your are crazy.

Again, do everything that is suggested here, but don't be afraid to ask for help.
:thumbup::thumbup: Thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking the same thing. It's not something you can do mind tricks and convince yourself out of.

:thumbup::thumbup: Thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking the same thing. It's not something you can do mind tricks and convince yourself out of.

I was hoping a medical resident and student would step in and say something! Being shy and having social anxiety are two separate things. I tried by myself for a year to "force" myself out the door, it resulted in me running back inside. I'd probably still have social phobia if it wasn't for seeing a psychiatrist.

I was hoping a medical resident and student would step in and say something! Being shy and having social anxiety are two separate things. I tried by myself for a year to "force" myself out the door, it resulted in me running back inside. I'd probably still have social phobia if it wasn't for seeing a psychiatrist.
I don't think people here understand the difference. Social anxiety (i.e. social phobia) is a disorder. It's not just being "shy" and to categorize it as such is doing them a real disservice. I've had friends in which it has caused panic attacks, etc. and it was alleviated by medication and continued psychiatric counseling.

Okay people, being shy and having social anxiety are NOT the same thing! Your intentions are good and your advice is appreciated, I'm sure, but it's just really not as simple as forcing yourself out of your comfort zone.

OP, I went from actually getting physically sick before social events as a child due to my anxiety to being a pretty high functioning member of society now that I'm an adult. Social anxiety sucks and I still have panic attacks from time to time. I have never been on medication because my parents are opposed to it and I personally do not want to deal with the side effects.

I've found that the best way to deal with it has been faking it until I make it. I pretended to be a confident person who loves interacting with people, and eventually, I became that person. I'm still perfectly happy to be alone and I have to say affirmations to myself before I go out and socialize, but I've come a long way. You have to remember that people are not as scrutinizing of your words and actions as you might think - in fact, they probably forget most of what you say! Don't let yourself go down the rabbit hole of thinking of all the things that could go wrong.

Also, CBT is extremely helpful. Try to see a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist.

Also the comments about "seeing a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist" - you'd be better served to find a psychiatrist that actually engages in therapy. Not all psychiatrists do this, and the trend, in fact, is that most don't. This is probably why the comments have been what they have been with respect to being "pushed" to get medications.

All psychiatrists receive therapy training during residency. However, not all of them will use it (thanks to Medicare reimbursement rates). Find a physician that does what you want to do.

Nothing against psychologists, but particularly if you present with physical symptoms it's a good idea to be seen by a medical doctor - at least initially - to ensure that nothing more serious is going on.

Response to title:

One of my best friends for years did. The first step for him was becoming comfortable with himself, and finding a way to like who he was. He had issues with body image, and found ways to improve his appearance to the point where he was proud of his appearance. He use to assume that people had NO interest in meeting him, and later learned (somehow) that he was wrong - MANY PEOPLE were curious about who he was and wanted to meet him. Those 2 things alone took him a long way!

He also sought help from a counselor/psychologist and made sure that specific goals were in place that would help him. His psychologist taught him how to approach people in non-awkward appropriate ways. His psychologist helped him understand WHY people reacted negatively to him and offered suggestions about how to fix that (whenever that would happen), so he became more self-aware and socially skilled.

Eventually things got better and better for him.

If you are not getting anywhere with your psychologist, I would suggest trying out others to see if there's a better fit out there: http://m.therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/ Different psychologists work in different ways. You may just need a different style of therapy or someone who has a different set of techniques and insights. Social anxiety can often be solved with talk therapy. Drugs are often addictive and have long and/or short term negative effects. So unless your social anxiety is EXTREME or beyond all other help, I wouldn't encourage drugs.

At a social event, I once had a psychologist tell me, "Talk therapy is for rich people; we just drug the poor." I thought that was terrible, but also good to keep in mind. "Drugs are suppose to be a lesser evil, not good for you like a vitamin," another doctor told me. -FYI

Okay people, being shy and having social anxiety are NOT the same thing! Your intentions are good and your advice is appreciated, I'm sure, but it's just really not as simple as forcing yourself out of your comfort zone.

OP, I went from actually getting physically sick before social events as a child due to my anxiety to being a pretty high functioning member of society now that I'm an adult. Social anxiety sucks and I still have panic attacks from time to time. I have never been on medication because my parents are opposed to it and I personally do not want to deal with the side effects.

I've found that the best way to deal with it has been faking it until I make it. I pretended to be a confident person who loves interacting with people, and eventually, I became that person. I'm still perfectly happy to be alone and I have to say affirmations to myself before I go out and socialize, but I've come a long way. You have to remember that people are not as scrutinizing of your words and actions as you might think - in fact, they probably forget most of what you say! Don't let yourself go down the rabbit hole of thinking of all the things that could go wrong.

Also, CBT is extremely helpful. Try to see a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist.

Why do psychiatrist suck at CBT?

Why do psychiatrist suck at CBT?
I'm not saying they do, but as others have mentioned, many psychiatrists prescribe pills right off the bat rather than practice therapy. Of course there are psychs who practice CBT and are good at it, but they can be hard to find.

I would like to provide a few more ideas:

1. Finding a way to socialize in a SAFE environment. 12 Step Groups, Support Groups, and Group Therapy are 3 examples of environments that generally have rules, moderators, and a culture of being supportive toward one another. Having positive social experiences, I believe, is a likely way to turn around social anxiety (for some people). Try to find a place where people are almost guaranteed to be supportive and friendly and use that as a first step toward getting over social anxiety. You can search the internet, call around, and check the link I provided earlier to see if you can find a on-going Social Anxiety support group or group therapy.

2. Try to figure out the cause of your social anxiety. Some people experience an event or bad treatment (abuse, bullying, etc.) in their lives that brings about social anxiety. Those people can often identify the cause, can often analyze the cause, and mentally process it, with the help of the right psychologist to help turn things around.

(Often times they are subconsciously "generalizing" the source bad treatment. An example of what I mean by that is, for instance, when a child or animal is abused, they will sometimes fear non-abusers similarly to how they fear their abuser: When an animal (cat or dog) use to be beaten, it will often be afraid of getting petted on the head. It will jerk it's head away when it sees your hand rise, mistaking your intention to pet it, for an intention to hit it. A kid who's been beaten will sometimes flinch when you, a non-abuser, raise your hand as well. I think anxiety can work in a similar way when it comes to generalizing - you learn to fear everyone or everyone in a certain category, not ONLY the abuser/bullier/etc.) If you happen to know the cause and are failing to talk about it, you need to find a way to change that. I had a coworker once in a large corporation who was abused by her bosses and coworkers for being a minority. She felt that no one would believe her, that she couldn't talk about it, and feared being fired for financial reasons. Once she reconsidered and opened up to a psychologist (bound by HIPPA privacy laws), things started to change for her for the better. I mention the deal with my coworker because you mentioned "authority figures" in your post. Dealing with corrupt abusive authority figures can lead one to fear other non-abusive authority figures later on.

3. If you grew up with an addict or alcoholic (or with a mentally ill parent): Drug addicts and alcoholics are well known for playing a mean game called, "I'm okay, you're not." They get angry at themselves and their addiction, and shift that blame onto other people. They can ruin a child/teenager/relative/loved one's self esteem. Addicts, when not sober, are known for being accusatory (wrongly accusing others), picking others apart (finding other people's imperfections and dwelling on them), etc. If that is the case, go to an Al-Anon meeting and look up Al-Anon online. They will help you get over social anxiety if you've been the victim of an addict. (If you grew up with a mentally ill parent, a similar pattern may have resulted and you can probably find a different support group for that. Note, some mentally ill people are in denial and will never ever admit their faults or mental illness. If you suspect your parents are mentally ill, they just might be.) And - fyi - other sorts of "addicts," like the ones OverEater's Anonymous, Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous, Debtor's Anonymous, etc. are designed for, might follow some of the patterns described above.

4. Role playing: Role playing is a technique where you and a psychologist, a trusted friend, trainer, or adviser, act out a scenario like a job interview (or any social scenario). You play yourself, and they play the interviewer, for example, or vice versa. This way you can get feedback and practice doing things in a way that is likely to gain a positive response in real life. If someone is nervous about a job interview, he might role play the job interview with a psychologist over and over until he feels comfortable in that situation. Then when he goes to a real job interview it's not as scary. (When I use to work in sales, we use to train new hires with some role playing and it worked wonders, especially for the more shy, anxious, nervous people.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Face your fears op, you will find that you become stronger, wiser, and more brave in doing so. The thing that holds us back in life is not other people, it's our own mind. The more I face my fears, the truer that lesson becomes. If I can do it (man I had some really bad circumstances), so can you.

I only speak from my own personal experience. There were times where I was afraid of sitting on the train with other people, thinking they were always judging me (now that I think back on it, I was seriously messed up). There were also times where I couldn't look people in the eye.

And to be honest, the fear never fully goes away, every day is a challenge. But just like a battle hardened warrior, you are the most feared opponent on the battlefield because you went through a struggle most people can't even comprehend.

For those who don't suffer from social anxiety, the fear one feels with this terrible affliction can be similar to what a soldier feels as he runs into the battlefield where the enemy outnumbers him 10 to 1. Now imagine living every single day of your life like that.

If you face your fears op, you will be the person with a twinkle in their eye; the person with a wisdom far beyond their years. The person who KNOWS they can overcome anything. In this sense, I think fears are a blessing (if you choose to confront them).

The source of every true success was a person who had the courage to overcome their biggest fears. In doing so, they learn that nothing in life can break you when you don't fear it. Everyone else lives their mediocre or sub-mediocre lives. Living with your fears without facing them makes for a life filled with self-hate and self-doubt.

Last edited:
I agree with the person who said try to figure out the cause of your social anxiety.
I haven't completely gotten over my social anxiety but I have made HUGE improvements!
So I'm going to tell you what worked for me. But what worked for me, might not work for you. I want to at least give you hope though. Please note that I have social anxiety as well as general anxiety.

This was me at the height of my social anxiety: threw up every day before school because the thought of being around the other students made me physically ill. Isn't that absurd!? Oh yeah, I was also too scared to talk to ANYONE on the phone. That was in high school. I begged my parents to homeschool me but they had full time jobs and thought it was a terrible idea anyway. So I sucked it up.
Then came college. I was still conditioned to throw up every day before school. But as time went by, my throwing up went away and my social anxiety went down.

Things that helped me:
-exercising!!!!! (30-60 mins of cardio per day)
-Increasing my confidence (I gave myself a mini-makeover)
-drinking more water; avoiding anything sugary/caffeinated
-getting a full night of deep sleep
Now it may be hard to see a connection between the above mentioned things and social interaction. However, all of them definitely, without a doubt, had the effect of making me feel more relaxed around people. Why? Because I felt like a calmer, more confident person in general. (Also, I realize these things may become difficult to do sometimes, but do them whenever you have the chance).

I've noticed as I get older, my social anxiety seems to be going away. And yes, being "forced" into situations can help. Remember how I mentioned I wouldn't talk to anyone on the phone because of my anxiety? Well that caught up with me. My mommy and daddy couldn't make phone calls for me anymore after I turned 18. I still remember the first time I had to call someone about an important matter so I actually wrote down, word by word, EVERYTHING I was going to say - lol. I still do that sometimes but I have become a lot more comfortable with talking on the phone.

Maybe your experience with social anxiety is totally different than mine and none of my advice applies to you. But as I said before, I want you (and everyone else with social anxiety) to know that it can get better! I am living proof.

Last edited:
I've suffered from terrible anxiety as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is having an anxiety attack at a father daughter date night for Girl Scouts when I was in first or second grade. I was hyperventilating, shaking and crying uncontrollably, really hot, and felt like I was going to pass out. I remember my school and my parents made me meet with a counselor for the majority of early elementary school because I would not talk in school. Eventually I was diagnosed with social anxiety.

I did CBT, and attended counseling regularly. I would talk to people at school, which was an accomplishment, but I still refused to eat in front of others or speak in front of the class. This lasted until I was probably 16, and I was off and on different anxiety medications and went to counseling.

I do feel like getting my first job at 16 helped a lot. I was just a bagger at a grocery store and I feel like they would've hired anyone. I don't even remember my interview, so I don't know how I made it through that. I guess being forced in a way to be social in combination with medicine and counseling is what helped me overcome it. I still get anxiety sometimes, but it's really rare. I actually spoke in front of about 50 students for orientation at my university last month and did really well. I actually feel like interviews are a strength of mine, and I enjoy them.

My best advice would be to attend counseling, I went through several before I found someone I liked and who I feel helped me, and find a couple good friends who will slowly encourage and help you to work through things outside of your comfort zone. Overcoming (or learning to cope with) my SAD was one of the most difficult things I've done but it is so worth it.