Has anyone successfully appealed academic dismissal? Help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

defeated 1styr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year med student (or was until yesterday). Short version of events- I failed a course and successfully remediated it by passing a comprehensive remediation exam. The remediation exam was the first day of second semester and needless to say that my Christmas break was spent home studying and worrying. I passed some courses. But, I failed a course this semester and 2 Fs = Dismissed. I would give anything to be able to start over again next year.
If you have any experience with dismissals, promotion committees, appeals, repeating first year, ANYTHING, that could offer insight please share. I know I was given the chance of a lifetime and 6 months later I am in a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry about your situation. I haven't been in your shoes personally, but that's pretty harsh dismissing you for failing one class. What's your school's dismissal policy exactly? But, failing two classes in a row definitely didn't bode too well for you as far as I can tell. Did you talk to your school's dean as soon as you found out you would fail your class. Because once you're dismissed, your chance of reinstatement is quite slim, unfortunately. Do you have some kind of a legitimate reason for your failure? That might help youa bit, but I'm not too sure of this myself. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer. Hope things work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure there is a reason for your failures, & now is not the time for pride. You have to be completely honest w/ your Deans, even if you have an embarrassing reason. Nobody goes to med school & just blows off studying b/c 'they didn't feel like studying'. The problem is, many students are too embarrassed to reveal their true reasons for failure & thus the administrators are forced to believe that you just didn't care. You must do 2 things if you want back in:

1) identify the real reason you failed those courses
2) identify what you are willing to do to correct it

. After the first failure it was very clear to me that if I failed another course I would be dismissed- that stress combined with the stress that comes with failing in the first place added to the problem. I could not sleep, started double guessing my answers, and stayed at school during thanksgiving and Christmas breaks studying. I did not come in with proper study strategies and was not able to find what worked for me fast enough, what I was doing was not effective and I kept trying to reevaluate and change what I was doing, but I was already in a bad spot and was second guessing everything I did, all I did was study and felt like I knew at least a good amount of the info but my grades showed I did not.
I sought help/advice from the start, after my first quiz (before failing anything) I was in our advisors office talking about what I needed to do. I feel like I know the information well before tests, I just panic during test time. Following the suggestions of my advisors and the student handbook I met with a time management counselor, spent time with a 3rd year student that had signed up to help struggling first years, was in contact with our class advisor at least every week, and recently went to see the on campus psychiatrist. I have just started seeing her and she is already very helpful. I also want to go to the Medical Help program at Marshall University (http://www.marshall.edu/medicalhelp/services/medical/ ) for five weeks. I know all medical students deal with major pressure and stress and still pass their courses. What makes it even worse is I know that I am capable, I can do this and now I will never be able to.
I am just sitting at home and keep thinking back to the day I was accepted and how happy I was. Fast forward a year and I ruined my chance at my dream… if anyone has read this whole thing, thank you. I just need to vent I guess.

Last edited:
I have to submit a request for appeal that may or may not be granted.
Suggestions for improving the chances my appeal will even be heard?

Hi there. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I was dismissed from my school as a first year earlier this year. I went through the appeals process and managed to have my dismissal rescinded.

You said you sought help from the start. I did too. This was the centerpiece of my appeal letter. I outlined every single time I met with an advisor, a professor, an administrator, or a tutor. I also gave my proposal for a solution to the problem, the steps I would have to take to succeed in medical school, and asked for a second chance. There was a hearing with a panel of professors and administrators. I made a statement and then engaged in a lengthy Q&A session with them. I found the panel to be extremely fair in their questions. They weren't out to get me or anything like that; they genuinely wanted to hear me out and help me if they could. Remember that, because I think students sometimes think it's over from the moment they get the dismissal letter and assume that the school is done with them. It's natural, but in my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

If you want to talk more specifically, PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Appeals that are more likely to be successful:
  • Those where the person had documentation (dates, times and names) of types of assistance that can be made available to the committee
  • Those where the person has documented steps that have corrected the reasons for dismissal (medical or family) and have documented why this won't occur (or is unlikely to occur) again.
  • Those where the person followed the appeal process correctly.

The types of documentation that you want to submit are dates and times of counseling and tutoring. You also want to submit letters from your faculty adviser (if you have one) and your counselor/practitioner that support that you have worked out (or treated) your previous problems (or that they will not affect your ability to continue in medical school).

The appeal process will work but you need to be sure that you provide the best documentation of what happened to you that you can. Make sure that it's clear and concise without excuses (these are easy to get into when you are doing this type of process) but contain every step that you have taken to get yourself into a position for success. You may also want to provide a short explanation of why you were not in a good position to make your case at your originial hearing (too close to the process).

If you get your information together and make sure that your counselors/practitioners have provided good documentation, your chances of appeal are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all of the helpful detailed responses. This is my last chance to stay in medical school and I want to do everything I can to make a strong case. Your posts give me hope, I have to do everything possible to continue.

I have to submit a request for appeal that may or may not be granted.
Suggestions for improving the chances my appeal will even be heard?

I'm very sorry that this had to happen to you. Reading through your comments, I'm honestly surprised that they would force you out after you only failed one course each semester (and then successfully remediated it the following semester) - normally this sort of thing happens only if someone failed all of their courses and did not make any improvements in the subsequent semester.

I'm also surprised that they would make you remediate the final after winter break. Most medical schools would rather you retake the class over summer break rather than place an additional burden on a failing student by having them retake the course on top of the other classes.

As far as successfully appealing your dismissal. Having a record of your visits to the psychiatry definitely helps. It proves that the reason for your failure was medically related. Keeping detailed records is probably one of the most important things that you could have done. You might also want to look through your student handbook to see how they would deal with remediating and failing classes. From what you described, it sounds like your school was really quick to pull the plug without giving you the chance. As I've said before, most medical school that I know give students the chance to repeat year 1 or remediate over the summer rather than kick them out for failing 1 or 2 classes. Make sure that they followed the letter of the school's policy for properly dismissing you.

As for other suggestions, I would suggest that you deal diplomatically with the administrators and appeal council. When it comes to policies, nothing is really set in stone and you can probably successfully appeal if you do it in a way that shows you've figured out your weakness and matured. This means taking responsibility and not blaming other people (or the school) for your failure. I know that there's a lot of hard feelings when something like this happens, but you can't really afford to alienate anyone in the school or on the council right now. Go in there and do the best to stay calm objective during your appeal hearing. Your best chance right now is to successfully appeal and be re-instated. There are people who have gotten into medical school after being kicked out, but it is extremely rare, and I wouldn't really count on it since all the schools that I've been accepted to have a policy of not accepting individuals who have been previously dismissed for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I am working on getting all my documents in order. My confidence in myself has almost completely disappeared. I am worried that they will not understand how my mental state affected my schoolwork. Looking back I was more anxious than I let myself realize from the start. I applied twice before getting in, I guess I had worked so hard and put so much into medical school that once I started and had trouble the anxiety of losing it all became overwhelming. I was informed of my dismissal three days ago, I am processing and working through my issues. Hopefully in a few weeks when the committee meets again I will be a better version of myself already.
Do medical schools really take things like depression, severe anxiety, etc into consideration?

Thanks for your advice. I am working on getting all my documents in order. My confidence in myself has almost completely disappeared. I am worried that they will not understand how my mental state affected my schoolwork. Looking back I was more anxious than I let myself realize from the start. I applied twice before getting in, I guess I had worked so hard and put so much into medical school that once I started and had trouble the anxiety of losing it all became overwhelming. I was informed of my dismissal three days ago, I am processing and working through my issues. Hopefully in a few weeks when the committee meets again I will be a better version of myself already.
Do medical schools really take things like depression, severe anxiety, etc into consideration?

I'm glad that you have several weeks to yourself before the hearing. I can't imagine that you'll be able to maintain your composure if you had to go before the appeal council if you were dismissed just a few days before the hearing.

My suggestion: take a few days off, watch a movie, spend some time with your friends or family, and don't dwell on the the negatives. Come back with a clear mind. Sit down and then go through your school's student handbook and check to see what their dismissal policy is. I don't know what school you attend but the fact that they would kick if out after failing only two classes (and then remidating one of the classes) doesn't seem very kosher. At the very least, they should give you the option of repeating year 1 or remediating your classes over the summer without the pressure of having to pass your other classes.

I think most schools do take psychological conditions into consideration. Check the school's handbook to see what their policy is on that. I think they would give you the option of taking a medical leave of abscence if you have proof from a physician's note or if you have a record from a psychiatrist. You can use that as leverage to appeal the dismissal and ask for either a medical leave of absence (to give you more time to get your anxiety under control) or to be re-instated again at a later time. The only time that a school might not take your psychological state into account is if they feel that you are an eminent danger to yourself or to others (you talked to your professor or administrator about committing suicide or you showed up to class intoxicated).

As I've said before, do everything in your power to appeal your dismissal because none of the schools that I applied to would consider a previously dismissed student for admissions. Your best bet is to be re-instated at the school that you were dismissed from.

Last edited:
I went in front of the council less than a week after finding out I failed a second time and would be up for dismissal. I should have asked for more time, I was in a state of shock. If I am given the chance to appeal the dismissal, will it just be a formality or could I have a chance? After all of the years working for the chance to be in medical school, I cannot explain how terrible it feels to know that it may be over by the end of the month.
Does anyone else have experience with appealing academic dismissal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget your past failures. Plan out your future and what you will do differently. Try your hardest to appeal and plan that out now as well. When you look back, don't regret these moments and what may follow.

And if the appeal should fail, it is not the end of you. Find another thing you can feel passionate about. Move on with your life. And in a few years, review your desire and feasibility to attend medical school. Proceed from there.

Lots of great advice here. Keep surrounding yourself with positive people, find faculty advocates, and don't give up.

just read this post. so sorry to hear about this.. i hope that everything worked out okay after all.. i'm in a similar situation now. also, did you go to this marshall program? i am interested in going to it. if you have been there i'd be interested in learning from your experience there and with the whole appeals process. is there any program like this in california or somewhere on the west coast- or at least where it is warm? i don't know anybody in marshall. how much did it cost? if you could help reply, i'd truly appreciate it.

. After the first failure it was very clear to me that if I failed another course I would be dismissed- that stress combined with the stress that comes with failing in the first place added to the problem. I could not sleep, started double guessing my answers, and stayed at school during thanksgiving and Christmas breaks studying. I did not come in with proper study strategies and was not able to find what worked for me fast enough, what I was doing was not effective and I kept trying to reevaluate and change what I was doing, but I was already in a bad spot and was second guessing everything I did, all I did was study and felt like I knew at least a good amount of the info but my grades showed I did not.
I sought help/advice from the start, after my first quiz (before failing anything) I was in our advisors office talking about what I needed to do. I feel like I know the information well before tests, I just panic during test time. Following the suggestions of my advisors and the student handbook I met with a time management counselor, spent time with a 3rd year student that had signed up to help struggling first years, was in contact with our class advisor at least every week, and recently went to see the on campus psychiatrist. I have just started seeing her and she is already very helpful. I also want to go to the Medical Help program at Marshall University (http://www.marshall.edu/medicalhelp/services/medical/ ) for five weeks. I know all medical students deal with major pressure and stress and still pass their courses. What makes it even worse is I know that I am capable, I can do this and now I will never be able to.
I am just sitting at home and keep thinking back to the day I was accepted and how happy I was. Fast forward a year and I ruined my chance at my dream… if anyone has read this whole thing, thank you. I just need to vent I guess.

I am also appealing at my school. Anyone that can offer help please PM me. I have been basically "blacklisted" by my faculty because they are fearful that my situation is going to result in a lawsuit. ANY help, guidance, or advice is greatly appreciated. I do NOT want to sue, I WANT TO FINISH SCHOOL, put all of my past education, passion, and hard work to good use, and practice medicine. I thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

In contrast to others' postings above, I had previously earned excellent grades. Sadly, I had a sudden, unexpected illness. The faculty at my school "forced me to take a medical leave of absence" (I had missed a half of day of school) and prohibited me from returning to my classes (later they repealed their decision, but I had missed too many classes by then & without an opportunity to "make-up" I could not possibly pass the remaining semester). I did not want to take a "medical leave" and ultimately wecould not agree on the "terms", so now I have to appeal several issues (my return to school, the F's given to me when I was not allowed back into my classes, the violation of policies, and fix my financial aid).

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I am also appealing at my school. Anyone that can offer help please PM me. I have been basically "blacklisted" by my faculty because they are fearful that my situation is going to result in a lawsuit. ANY help, guidance, or advice is greatly appreciated. I do NOT want to sue, I WANT TO FINISH SCHOOL, put all of my past education, passion, and hard work to good use, and practice medicine. I thank you for your time and efforts in advance.

In contrast to others' postings above, I had previously earned excellent grades. Sadly, I had a sudden, unexpected illness. The faculty at my school "forced me to take a medical leave of absence" (I had missed a half of day of school) and prohibited me from returning to my classes (later they repealed their decision, but I had missed too many classes by then & without an opportunity to "make-up" I could not possibly pass the remaining semester). I did not want to take a "medical leave" and ultimately wecould not agree on the "terms", so now I have to appeal several issues (my return to school, the F's given to me when I was not allowed back into my classes, the violation of policies, and fix my financial aid).

This doesn't add up. You missed a half day of class, so they forced you to take a medical leave of absence? Which they then decided against, but still gave you failing grades for the classes they forced you to miss?

How are they "blacklisting" you?

What does this mean...if they were offering you anyway to continue as a student can you still take that? Regardless of why you miss, you are kinda at the mercy of whatever your schools medical leave/make up policies are...

Can you still take medical leave, that sounds like a great solution at this point.

This doesn't add up. You missed a half day of class, so they forced you to take a medical leave of absence? Which they then decided against, but still gave you failing grades for the classes they forced you to miss?

How are they "blacklisting" you?

Sounds like an IMG? :confused:

I am currently going through the same process of an appeal and need some guidance. What were the results? What kind of questions were asked during the hearing?

I'm sorry for your situation. Not to be a negative nancy (I think you should appeal and try to do anything you can to make it through school) but if you are not successful remember that there is a VERY good chance your school just saved you a ton of $$$ by canning you... the only thing worse than failing out of med school is failing out of med school 4th year with 200k of debt, or not being able to pass the USMLEs etc...

Survivor DO

I am also in a situation which I never dreamed of!! I have to present myself before an Appeals Committee for a Med School. I just completed my first year and found out I did not pass a test in the beginning of the second semester. Basically, I do not know what to do!! I am in complete shock!! My hearing is the following week!! What are my chances that I am not going to be dismissed and what do I need to do!! I need help!! Thank you

First thing: read the student handbook thoroughly. Especially the sections on academic dismissal and the appeals process.

Second thing: my school has an appointed faculty student advocate. I would guess that most schools have the same. Yours might be called Dean of Student Affairs or Student Relations or whatever. In my school, their job is to be on your side and will hold your hand if you're facing any type of administrative action, including dismissal. This guy doesn't get paid enough for what he does, and he is often overlooked because med students are used to being independent problem solvers.

I'm sorry for your situation. Not to be a negative nancy (I think you should appeal and try to do anything you can to make it through school) but if you are not successful remember that there is a VERY good chance your school just saved you a ton of $$$ by canning you... the only thing worse than failing out of med school is failing out of med school 4th year with 200k of debt, or not being able to pass the USMLEs etc...

Survivor DO

The problem is that it really depends on the total situation. I ended up with fairly low grades throughout my first two years and ended up repeating my 2nd year (2 courses with a 69%, failed one of the remediation). Repeated the second year with a significant increase relative to the rest of the class. I ended up with an average COMLEX score and a slightly below, but respectable USMLE score (mid 210s). There were also school side issues that I won't elaborate on in public or otherwise (both because it just makes me sound whiny and because there's no reason to air out internal garbage), but I will be able to talk intelligently about what happened, changes that were made, and my progress since then.

The issue here is we are getting what's akin to the discussion portion of a paper's abstract. I don't feel that we can write off everyone with multiple failures just because they have multiple failures. There's a larger practical difference between a 50% and a 69% and a 69% and a 70%, even though the only difference that matters is the one between 69% and 70%. Are the people appealing in the 69% range or the 50% range with their courses?

TL/DR: Not enough information to suggest that dismissal is good or bad at this point.

Hi there. Your experience sounds similar to mine. I was dismissed from my school as a first year earlier this year. I went through the appeals process and managed to have my dismissal rescinded.

You said you sought help from the start. I did too. This was the centerpiece of my appeal letter. I outlined every single time I met with an advisor, a professor, an administrator, or a tutor. I also gave my proposal for a solution to the problem, the steps I would have to take to succeed in medical school, and asked for a second chance. There was a hearing with a panel of professors and administrators. I made a statement and then engaged in a lengthy Q&A session with them. I found the panel to be extremely fair in their questions. They weren't out to get me or anything like that; they genuinely wanted to hear me out and help me if they could. Remember that, because I think students sometimes think it's over from the moment they get the dismissal letter and assume that the school is done with them. It's natural, but in my experience, nothing could be further from the truth.

If you want to talk more specifically, PM me.

Did the Committee inform you of their decision, the day of the hearing or did you have to wait?

I'm sure there is a reason for your failures, & now is not the time for pride. You have to be completely honest w/ your Deans, even if you have an embarrassing reason. Nobody goes to med school & just blows off studying b/c 'they didn't feel like studying'. The problem is, many students are too embarrassed to reveal their true reasons for failure & thus the administrators are forced to believe that you just didn't care. You must do 2 things if you want back in:

1) identify the real reason you failed those courses
2) identify what you are willing to do to correct it

Bolded part; someone in the class if 2014 at uh an unnamed school did just that. Ousted after given a second chance (caught cheating). SMH,

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you find a solution. I find that having some advocates at your medical school helps. Can you do some research and graduate school in the meantime, so your time is not lost and wasted, and keep in touch with faculty that way? This will be good if you get back in, so it does not look like you have questionable loopholes in your educational and employment history. As long as you still have access to some of the faculty and staff, and are able to maintain contact with them, I think it will work out.

Survivor DO

True - better early on than much later - in both situations you have nothing to show for it, but if later you fail out, you also have the extra debt.

While not in med school, I am in a very similar situation in occupational therapy school. I have not faced dismissal yet, but I failed a class in my program and basically have to ace it next spring. It will only be that one class next semester however it is absolutely crucial that I receive an A- at least in that class. I'm not going to waste my days obsessing over dismissal, because i have to come back with a clear mind. However if it ever came to that point, I will try my utmost best to stay in the program. One thing i have noticed on these forums is that most of the time grades fall because of some personal issues or just plain mistakes rather than ineffective study habits. Schools need to realize that we have other things going on in our life as well and i seriously believe that all students should have second chances after being "dismissed".

While not in med school, I am in a very similar situation in occupational therapy school. I have not faced dismissal yet, but I failed a class in my program and basically have to ace it next spring. It will only be that one class next semester however it is absolutely crucial that I receive an A- at least in that class. I'm not going to waste my days obsessing over dismissal, because i have to come back with a clear mind. However if it ever came to that point, I will try my utmost best to stay in the program. One thing i have noticed on these forums is that most of the time grades fall because of some personal issues or just plain mistakes rather than ineffective study habits. Schools need to realize that we have other things going on in our life as well and i seriously believe that all students should have second chances after being "dismissed".

Lol.

I am a first year med student (or was until yesterday). Short version of events- I failed a course and successfully remediated it by passing a comprehensive remediation exam. The remediation exam was the first day of second semester and needless to say that my Christmas break was spent home studying and worrying. I passed some courses. But, I failed a course this semester and 2 Fs = Dismissed. I would give anything to be able to start over again next year.
If you have any experience with dismissals, promotion committees, appeals, repeating first year, ANYTHING, that could offer insight please share. I know I was given the chance of a lifetime and 6 months later I am in a nightmare.

I know someone who went through almost exactly what you did. He should have graduated last year. It took him 3 years of appeals but was let back in. He is in my class and currently enjoying 3rd year. If the school has the process, try it until they won't let you try again. There are humans behind the adcoms veil. They do like "overcoming odds" stories like the rest of us. Just be sure to demonstrate a certain amount of bust-ass-itude along with addressing your current weaknesses while reapplying. Good luck.

I know someone who went through almost exactly what you did. He should have graduated last year. It took him 3 years of appeals but was let back in. He is in my class and currently enjoying 3rd year. If the school has the process, try it until they won't let you try again. There are humans behind the adcoms veil. They do like "overcoming odds" stories like the rest of us. Just be sure to demonstrate a certain amount of bust-ass-itude along with addressing your current weaknesses while reapplying. Good luck.

I think you're 2 years a little too late.