Has anyone taken the new NAPLEX? 11/01/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diwata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who took it some from November 1, 2015 to date? Plz. I'm scheduled to take it on the 7th and I'm feeling uneasy. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Will do. I just hope i can get a few pointers before i sit for it though. Oh well... Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it on the 3rd. Felt like it was exactly the same as late 2014. Had some compounding and some biostatistics (so those are not gone from the test, 4-5 questions each). Had the regular question, lots of calculations, HIV, Oncology, HTN, Diabetes, and some brand/generic name questions etc.

I think one of the big differences about this new blueprint is not about the content, rather the distribution of grades. It used to have 11% of the score depending on category 3, which is now integrated into category 1. You have to have a passing score in each category to pass. Now you can screw up on the biostatistics and whatever else was in Cat 3 and still pass (in my opinion). It did not seem more difficult, do not think that way, and good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
So it's means it's now more easy to pass Naplex as there are only two categories now instead of previous 3.

Math questions can only get a little confusing if you are short on time and if they popup during your last 10 question. I had a few calculation questions during my last 10-15 questions and they were longer, but not necessarily more difficult. I had some mEq questions some CrCl, and a lot of ratios and strengths using a provided compounding prescription. It was all simple enough, but be prepared to spend a few extra minutes at the end just in case you get stuck with a few longer math questions just when you're about ready to call it quits.

I wouldn't say the test is easier, but I will most certainly not tell anyone it is more difficult. It all depends on the combination of what you know, and which questions you get asked.

One final remark: I had a question or two on cancer drug regimen. This may be an investigational question (one of those 35 that are not scored), but it still managed to upset me quite a bit that they asked something so detailed. Know your brands and generics folks.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Warrior 110.

Do you think for math prepration... Rxprep quiz bank and questions from the book is enough?

How many brands and generics questions were there? Do they ask questions based on brand names?

I agree with Warrior's comment from above ^. I took it last Friday and I felt so uneasy before the exam as I was not planning to take it in November originally. If you look at the blueprint, all they did was switch it from 3 sections and put it into 2. The only thing I noticed more was that there were more compounding questions (which I felt a majority of them were good if you read rxprep in detail... and i mean in detail!) The other 2 compounding questions where I was like wtf was probably test questions (i hope). Anyways, I'm feeling super sick to my stomach waiting for the scores..

I'm an idiot and didn't make enough time for the last 10 calculation questions, so please make sure you do that!
Trust me when I say you will never feel ready.. but take it when you are the most ready and don't let anyone in pressuring to take it sooner than that.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions! Meanwhile, please pray and cross your fingers I passed!

Thanks bbypeach for your input. .Did you get your results yet? Best of luck for your results. I pray for you to pass.. What are the sources you've used to prepare for the new exam apart from Rxprep book (I mean for compounding did u read any other book, How about Biostats? Was it the same type of questions in Qbank? Is Rxprep enough for that?
Thanks!

I passed NAPLEX with 92.

Thanks to Rxprep and SDN.

I took it on NOV 16h, i got my results today and exited to see passed.
I prepared exclusively rxprep with videos and Qbank.
Guys read rxprep from first to last. Try to remember details of everything.
My exam was all over the place, no specific topic like only HIV<ONCO<MS<ID.
It asked me everything,means touching every part of topic like onco, id, aid, thy, cvs, respi, bio, skin. opthal, dep, psy, references.
Try to remember disease causing drugs at start of rxprep's each chapter, it helps a lot in choosing side effects.
Try to remember IV compatibility of drugs like which goes with D5W, NS,LR.
Do Qbank several times.
Rxprep videos are helpful in studying the material and important stuff in the book.

I have 105 days access left on rxprep.
if anybody wants make an offer($300)

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed NAPLEX with 92.

It asked me everything,means touching every part of topic like onco, id, aid, thy, cvs, respi, bio, skin. opthal, dep, psy, references.
Try to remember disease causing drugs at start of rxprep's each chapter, it helps a lot in choosing side effects.
Do Qbank several times.
Rxprep videos are helpful in studying the material and important stuff in the book.

Hi! Congratilulations!! Did you get a lot of compounding and biostats questions?? I've heard of some people who did and was wondering if it was the same with you.. Thanks in advance!! :)

I passed NAPLEX with 92.

Do Qbank several times.

Congrats Shakarnaplex!! and thankyou for your tips... So since you had the Rxprep course, do you think the updates posted in their website for compounding would be enough? or Do we need to read CPR or any other additional material? Were there questions like example of excepients/binders/lubricants used in compounding or it was general questions about compounding? Were you able to answer all biostats questions, was it easy or tough? I'm taking my test in 2 weeks...Your answer would be appreciated !! and one of my friend needs the rxprep course..will private message you..Thanks in Advance..

Yes I got them.
Both total around 10-15
Congrats Shakarnaplex!! and thankyou for your tips... So since you had the Rxprep course, do you think the updates posted in their website for compounding would be enough? or Do we need to read CPR or any other additional material? Were there questions like example of excepients/binders/lubricants used in compounding or it was general questions about compounding? Were you able to answer all biostats questions, was it easy or tough? I'm taking my test in 2 weeks...Your answer would be appreciated !! and one of my friend needs the rxprep course..will private message you..Thanks in Advance..

Hi! Would it be ok if you could email me the updated compounding material?? My email is [email protected]

I've been reading the ASHP sterile compounding guidelines but it's too extensive :(.. It would be greatly appreciated! I'm taking mine this Saturday :/

Hi! Would it be ok if you could email me the updated compounding material?? My email is [email protected]

I've been reading the ASHP sterile compounding guidelines but it's too extensive :(.. It would be greatly appreciated! I'm taking mine this Saturday :/
i failed naplex again, i appeared on 27 oct. lot of compounding questions, can u share updated compounding material.

I passed NAPLEX with 92.

Do Qbank several times.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!So happy for you. I am schedule to take mine next month. Thanks for the tips.
Do you have a better way for me to understand the Drug reference chapter.
Also for the compounding chapter do you think RXprep is sufficient?
Thanks and once more congrats!

Hi everyone, i wish to find out if there are any easier ways to know the drug references chapter in the RXprep book. Thanks!

I felt APHA compounding, in addition to Rxprep compounding chapter would suffice.

Hi shakernaplex so sorry for bordering you with questions. I wish to know if the APHA compounding is a book on it's own or a chapter in the APHA text book. I want to
buy so when i googled APHA compouding book, nothing came up.
Thanks so much and congrats again!

I passed NAPLEX with 92.

Do Qbank several times.

Hi!
I'm interested in purchasing the remaining access to Rx Prep, please email me if you still have it.

Thank you,

I passed NAPLEX with 92.

Do Qbank several times.

Hello shakernaplex
I am interested in the remaining rxprep access. Please let me know if u still have it and how do I send the payments.
Thanks

APhA chapter will be good for compounding questions. Rxprep compounding is not enough, and it's hard to digest.

just took the new 250 question naplex last week 11/22 and got the result in 2 business days, which is today 11/28
my biggest advice is that to NOT schedule the exam before a holiday where you get together with your family bc the uncertainty of passing/or not passing will ruin the holiday for you
but yea after a week of mental torture i did pass....

just took the new 250 question naplex last week 11/22 and got the result in 2 business days, which is today 11/28
my biggest advice is that to NOT schedule the exam before a holiday where you get together with your family bc the uncertainty of passing/or not passing will ruin the holiday for you
but yea after a week of mental torture i did pass....
AH! Congrats! How was your NAPLEX experience? Any advice you can share?

AH! Congrats! How was your NAPLEX experience? Any advice you can share?
going into the exam i felt i was not ready, but i actually ended up with score of 119, so honestly i way over prepared for the exam, i couldve taken it 3 weeks earlier and still passed

master the calculations and biostats, lots of questions on those. also compounding there were lots of questions too. my goal was to get 100% calculations right as that provides a good buffer (although i did messed up on the CrCl questions...)
for disease states of course master "big topics" ones like hypertension, lipid, infectious disease, onco side effects, hiv, ect
once you have these "core topics " covered you're good to go
remember you just need a passing score, anything above 75 is wasted effort. that being said i studied too much cuz i was scared of not passing.....

as for taking the exam, you gotta constantly be pacing yourself. its 6 hours long but it goes by fast and if you dont pace yourself it is very very easy to run out of time
when i was taking the exam for the first 2 hours i was running behind as I was taking too long on the questions i had no idea about. I needed to catch up so when i see a question i had absolutely no idea about, i just took 10 seconds to put in a guess and moved on to the next one. the time i saved i used them on double checking the math questions (again goal is 100%) and the questions that i do know and making sure i got them correctly.
for the last 30 min of the exam, you want to make sure that you only got 15 questions left, so that way if any calculations questions pop up in the last 15 you have enough time to answer them, as the math question can take some time

exam results take 2 business days and will be posted online on the 3rd business day. try to avoid taking ahead of holidays as then you have to wait like a week to get the results. waiting is mental torture.

going into the exam i felt i was not ready, but i actually ended up with score of 119, so honestly i way over prepared for the exam, i couldve taken it 3 weeks earlier and still passed

master the calculations and biostats, lots of questions on those. also compounding there were lots of questions too. my goal was to get 100% calculations right as that provides a good buffer (although i did messed up on the CrCl questions...)
for disease states of course master "big topics" ones like hypertension, lipid, infectious disease, onco side effects, hiv, ect
once you have these "core topics " covered you're good to go
remember you just need a passing score, anything above 75 is wasted effort. that being said i studied too much cuz i was scared of not passing.....

as for taking the exam, you gotta constantly be pacing yourself. its 6 hours long but it goes by fast and if you dont pace yourself it is very very easy to run out of time
when i was taking the exam for the first 2 hours i was running behind as I was taking too long on the questions i had no idea about. I needed to catch up so when i see a question i had absolutely no idea about, i just took 10 seconds to put in a guess and moved on to the next one. the time i saved i used them on double checking the math questions (again goal is 100%) and the questions that i do know and making sure i got them correctly.
for the last 30 min of the exam, you want to make sure that you only got 15 questions left, so that way if any calculations questions pop up in the last 15 you have enough time to answer them, as the math question can take some time

exam results take 2 business days and will be posted online on the 3rd business day. try to avoid taking ahead of holidays as then you have to wait like a week to get the results. waiting is mental torture.
Thank you so much for your response! Looks like being over prepared paid off :) CONGRATS again!
I will make sure I know calculations and biostats. About how many questions would you say you got in calculations and biostats?
Compounding? I feel like RXPrep isn't thorough enough in that chapter. Need to find another source to study for that section.

What do you think about brand/generic on the exam? is the top 300 brand will cover the most topics or we need study much more on each chapter? that will be about 600+ Thanks!

What do you think about brand/generic on the exam? is the top 300 brand will cover the most topics or we need study much more on each chapter? that will be about 600+ Thanks!

i work retail so i know most of the brand names. surprisingly the exam i took there werent that many brand names
so i think if you know the top 200 brand names you should be fine. also if you have working experience that also helps a lot as well

i work retail so i know most of the brand names. surprisingly the exam i took there werent that many brand names
so i think if you know the top 200 brand names you should be fine. also if you have working experience that also helps a lot as well

Thank you !