Has anyone turned down an acceptance and got in the next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much debt did fancy have?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On going 500 k in debt for school

Evaluate your ROI. It's like anything else. You'll make that money back and more AS LONG AS YOU ARENT A ***** ABOUT MANAGING YOUR FINANCES.

I could go on and on about this for awhile but most new grads I meet have no idea about retirements, Roths, backdoor Roths, diverse investment options, leveraging yourself and your finances properly, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Evaluate your ROI. It's like anything else. You'll make that money back and more AS LONG AS YOU ARENT A ***** ABOUT MANAGING YOUR FINANCES.

I could go on and on about this for awhile but most new grads I meet have no idea about retirements, Roths, backdoor Roths, diverse investment options, leveraging yourself and your finances properly, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Hehe, backdoor....

But seriously, you're right. If you plan on just associating for $130K for the rest for your life, it'll be tough. We just need to be smart!

Understood. AADSAS asks if you've been accepted previously/have turned it down, and then if you say yes, it asks you to explain. Do you remember what you said for that? Was it a financial reason?

Thank you for sharing Chill45, this is really valuable information to have.

Yeah I probably put financial reasoning. I tried to get the HPSP that year and had to wait a year before I could do the physical, but if I had gotten it that year I definitely would have went. I got the HPSP the next year so it's all worked out really well for me. But like @NutritionIllinois said the smart decision is to just accept it. I drove 6 hours to talk to the dean of admissions the morning before my deposit was due for lecom and he made me feel more comfortable about reapplying. If I hadn't done that I think I would have just went to lecom.

Whether or not you should go to this $400K school truly depends on what your long-term goals are. As several of my colleagues here have stated, it truly is a HUGE amount of debt.

Last edited:
At the same time, it is NOT insurmountable. It depends on your expectations after graduation from dental school.

Last edited: