Hate research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedmanny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a research assistant since March. The PI is very condescending and makes me miserable. She constantly lectures me about forgetting things that she showed me once, months ago. 5 minute lectures turn into 10 then 15 minute ones, with me standing there silently having to nod my head. I don't think it adds anything to the learning environment that the lab is supposed to be. She's been doing this for 30+ years, I'm sure its all super common sense and self-explanatory for her, but it isn't for me. I tutor in general chem and bio, i see students stuck on the simplest things so i'm patient with them because i can sympathize just from being in this lab. I feel like the professor wants me to grasp everything immediately, and I don't think any normal human can go at that pace. When I mess something up she berates me for not asking since I was unsure. When I ask a question she berates me for not reading through the 100 books she has on her shelf.

Like I said, I've been here for 8 months already. I've applied to medical school in August, I'm worried that I'll have to re-apply. I'm really trying to stick it out at this lab, but my esteem is taking such a beating from the PI that it ruins my day. I get that i'm supposed to feel some kind of pressure to improve, and yea I'm new so I should expect to mess up and get lectured, but this is seriously becoming unhealthy for me. If I left now, would it look bad? I was honestly hoping to stick it out with her till next March and request an LOR, since I may not get in this cycle, but that really isn't looking so doable at this point.

I know what it's like to struggle and challenge myself, but my stress and temper from this place is really reaching its boiling point. Is there a way to salvage the situation?

Is there a way out???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you really think you'd get a good letter based on this relationship? You should not force yourself to keep doing it if you truly hate it. Either find a new lab or switch those hours into volunteerism / good ECs for next semester

Reactions: 1 user
Don't say you hate research. Not all PIs are like this lady. Either join a new lab or just drop it. You don't need years and years of research. She doesn't sound like she'd give a good lor if that's why you're doing it.

Also, whenever pi teaches you something new, always write it down in your lab notebook to refer to. Not that this would help if she's just plain miserable though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leave for a new lab!

Change labs -- for the sake of the lab and your mental health. You'll be more productive elsewhere, and likely much happier!

Thank you all for your feedback, it's very supportive, I was hoping i wasn't looking like just a whiner and that all research labs are very stress-inducing.

Thing is- I want to leave to Spain for 3 months from March til May. I don't think any other research lab would take me on for just 4 months.

@Goro if you see that a student has ~8 months of researching, wouldn't the lack of a LOE from the PI make you raise an eyebrow?

Not every applicant who has done research has a LOR from a PI, so no, it wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Thank you all for your feedback, it's very supportive, I was hoping i wasn't looking like just a whiner and that all research labs are very stress-inducing.

Thing is- I want to leave to Spain for 3 months from March til May. I don't think any other research lab would take me on for just 4 months.

@Goro if you see that a student has ~8 months of researching, wouldn't the lack of a LOE from the PI make you raise an eyebrow?

Reactions: 1 users
There's more to research than just the work. In my opinion a good research position should have:

A good PI; one that is willing to teach undergrads and is approachable but able to keep you accountable.

A good project; one that can be tackled with your limited knowledge and skill set but answers an important question relevant to the refereed literature.

A good team; grad students, undergrads and postdocs willing to mentor you and work with you. You will spend most of your time with them so you should try to build these relationships up as well, at least professionally.

Find one that meets those criteria.

There's more to research than just the work. In my opinion a good research position should have:

A good PI; one that is willing to teach undergrads and is approachable but able to keep you accountable.

A good project; one that can be tackled with your limited knowledge and skill set but answers an important question relevant to the refereed literature.

A good team; grad students, undergrads and postdocs willing to mentor you and work with you. You will spend most of your time with them so you should try to build these relationships up as well, at least professionally.

Find one that meets those criteria.

Good advice. I noticed this from my (limited) experience working in two labs. I'd leave.

Edit: Just wanted to add: I thought I hated research at first too, but then I realized it was because I was treated as a lab tech & not involved in any decisions/discussions that shape the project. It turns out I hated the lab, I love research.

Good advice. I noticed this from my (limited) experience working in two labs. I'd leave.

Edit: Just wanted to add: I thought I hated research at first too, but then I realized it was because I was treated as a lab tech & not involved in any decisions/discussions that shape the project. It turns out I hated the lab, I love research.

Yah, from the OP I got the impression that he/she might not necessarily hate research but probably hates his current environment. It's definitely an experience that can be made totally unbearable if you get stuck in a bad lab.